Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT Fifteen reasons to grow your own food.

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,
Billy wrote:

Bill, do you use bleached white flour, or unbleached white flour?

Unbleached but I'd guess anything manufactured contains bleached flour.
When Walniut Acer's was alive I'd purchase wheat berries and grind my
own with I think it was called a corona wheat mill which had metal
plates.
Just about the same time 1986 some genius discovered that if you added
cement to cattle feed they put on more weight. The world of quantity
became ascendant and quality declined in many commodities.

Eeeew! Is that for real?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net/

I've often wondered why beef was constipating. Now I just want to kick
someone's ass!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Bill, do you use bleached white flour, or unbleached white flour?

Unbleached but I'd guess anything manufactured contains bleached flour.
When Walniut Acer's was alive I'd purchase wheat berries and grind my
own with I think it was called a corona wheat mill which had metal
plates.
Just about the same time 1986 some genius discovered that if you added
cement to cattle feed they put on more weight. The world of quantity
became ascendant and quality declined in many commodities.

Eeeew! Is that for real?

Yup.

http://jas.fass.org/content/49/5/1364.full.pdf

Old 12-07-2011, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:

Just about the same time 1986 some genius discovered that if you added
cement to cattle feed they put on more weight. The world of quantity
became ascendant and quality declined in many commodities.

Mineral supplements work and the price of those mineral supplements
matter. I take it the cement in question is tiny quantities of finely
powdered portland mineral that gives the cattle all the calcium,
potassium and iron they'll need.

I've seen "powdered shale" of supplement stores for the finely powdered
calcium and magnesium. I considered it until I read that it has over
0.01% iron. As it is I donate blood regularly to make sure I don't
accumulate iron in my body.

Sometimes stuff that works comes with terrible PR potential.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Doug Freyburger wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

Just about the same time 1986 some genius discovered that if you added
cement to cattle feed they put on more weight. The world of quantity
became ascendant and quality declined in many commodities.

Mineral supplements work and the price of those mineral supplements
matter. I take it the cement in question is tiny quantities of finely
powdered portland mineral that gives the cattle all the calcium,
potassium and iron they'll need.

I've seen "powdered shale" of supplement stores for the finely powdered
calcium and magnesium. I considered it until I read that it has over
0.01% iron. As it is I donate blood regularly to make sure I don't
accumulate iron in my body.

Sometimes stuff that works comes with terrible PR potential.

And more than often that stuff fails horribly, like feeding cattle with
beef.
I want the natural not the artificial crap that people put in my food. That
is why I garden and preserve as much natural food as I can. That is why I
have my own grass fed only cow and chickens.

Go ahead and enjoy those sawdust products from fast food joints. I won't
stop you.

Old 14-07-2011, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

[...]

It's not s much the sawdust I mind as it is the "pink slime" , AKA
ammonia-treated waste products they add back to the ground beef . Google it

Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Old 14-07-2011, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Nad R wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

[...]

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?pagewanted=all

To reiterate, the USDA isn't there to protect consumers. The USDA is
there to help market agricultural(?) products.

I can't imagine this kind of disease laden crap being sold in Germany,
or France.
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.
Old 14-07-2011, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
Snag wrote:

It's not s much the sawdust I mind as it is the "pink slime" , AKA
ammonia-treated waste products they add back to the ground beef . Google it

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?pagewanted=all

To reiterate, the USDA isn't there to protect consumers. The USDA is
there to help market agricultural(?) products.

the FDA should be there to protect consumers
but i don't think it has the teeth to do much.

I can't imagine this kind of disease laden crap being sold in Germany,
or France.

the sad thing is that all that stuff will
make people sick and thus increase health-care
costs for the entire society.

if we really are serious in the USoA of getting
health care costs under control we need to deal
much more with preventable stuff. food borne
diseases are one that must be costing billions
a year.

songbird
Old 15-07-2011, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
Snag wrote:

It's not s much the sawdust I mind as it is the "pink slime" , AKA
ammonia-treated waste products they add back to the ground beef . Google
it

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?pagewanted=all

To reiterate, the USDA isn't there to protect consumers. The USDA is
there to help market agricultural(?) products.

the FDA should be there to protect consumers
but i don't think it has the teeth to do much.

The FDA is supposed to help consumers, but they are under-funded. The
USDA has congressional support because agricultural association make
campaign donations (bribes). All the politicians have to do is to come
up with plausible deniability, for votes for cash.

I can't imagine this kind of disease laden crap being sold in Germany,
or France.

the sad thing is that all that stuff will
make people sick and thus increase health-care
costs for the entire society.

A tripling of food born diseases since

They are sweeping up remnants from the slaughter houses, treat it with
ammonia to kill the pathological bacteria (but often don't use enough
because it imparts an "off" flavor), it then has it fat separated from
the protein, and then they blend it into hamburger, all to save about 3
cents a pound for a pound of ground beef.

if we really are serious in the USoA of getting
health care costs under control we need to deal
much more with preventable stuff. food borne
diseases are one that must be costing billions
a year.

"Officials at the United States Department of Agriculture endorsed the
companyıs ammonia treatment, and have said it destroys E. coli ³to an
undetectable level.² They decided it was so effective that in 2007, when
the department began routine testing of meat used in hamburger sold to
the general public, they exempted Beef Products."

"School lunch officials said that in some years Beef Products Inc.
testing results were worse than many of the programıs two dozen other
suppliers, which use traditional meat processing methods. From 2005 to
2009, Beef Products had a rate of 36 positive results for salmonella per
1,000 tests, compared to a rate of nine positive results per 1,000 tests
for the other suppliers, according to statistics from the program."

songbird

The above report was published in December 30, 2009. I guess if you
don't read the New York Times, you'll never hear about these FUBARs.