Old 11-07-2011, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default OT Fifteen reasons to grow your own food.

Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...d-so-good.html

Old 11-07-2011, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/10/2011 10:43 PM, Nad R wrote:
Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...d-so-good.html

It is pure hype to attribute wood pulp as the cellulose source in food.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:
On 7/10/2011 10:43 PM, Nad R wrote:
Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...d-so-good.html

It is pure hype to attribute wood pulp as the cellulose source in food.

I imagine those that wrote the article did their research. Now I will add
the word "cellulose" to my bad food label readings. Along with "High
Fructose Corn Syrup", Aluminum and artificial flavoring and coloring.

Taco Bell is also off my list!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On 7/10/2011 10:43 PM, Nad R wrote:
Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...ver-tasted-so-
good.html

It is pure hype to attribute wood pulp as the cellulose source in food.

You got a citation for that, Frank?
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Frank wrote:
On 7/10/2011 10:43 PM, Nad R wrote:
Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...ever-tasted-so
-good.html

It is pure hype to attribute wood pulp as the cellulose source in food.

I imagine those that wrote the article did their research. Now I will add
the word "cellulose" to my bad food label readings. Along with "High
Fructose Corn Syrup", Aluminum and artificial flavoring and coloring.

Taco Bell is also off my list!

What do you find offensive about cellulose, R?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/10/2011 09:43 PM, Nad R wrote:
Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...d-so-good.html

No wonder I still feel hungry after eating Sonic & Taco Bell.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/11/2011 12:28 PM, Billy wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On 7/10/2011 10:43 PM, Nad R wrote:
Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...ver-tasted-so-
good.html

It is pure hype to attribute wood pulp as the cellulose source in food.

You got a citation for that, Frank?

Of course not. I only do stuff in depth like this if I get paid for it.
And, I'm not going to try to teach the op chemistry, or you for that
matter
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Frank wrote:
On 7/10/2011 10:43 PM, Nad R wrote:
Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...ever-tasted-so
-good.html

It is pure hype to attribute wood pulp as the cellulose source in food.

I imagine those that wrote the article did their research. Now I will add
the word "cellulose" to my bad food label readings. Along with "High
Fructose Corn Syrup", Aluminum and artificial flavoring and coloring.

Taco Bell is also off my list!

What do you find offensive about cellulose, R?

Bad memories of the eighties. I bought a loaf of low fat bread that was
made with wood as part of their high fiber content that I did not know at
the time. The bread in my toaster caught on fire not to mention the bread
made a terrible sandwich. The the thought of sawdust in food is a turn off.
Companies love to fool people with pushing the truth to the limits if not
lies. I want truth in labeling.

Is it unreasonable to go to a restaurant and ask for a chicken sandwich or
a hamburger that is 100% Chicken or 100% Beef. Corporations just want to
screw with people in the name of "Steeling" a dollar.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Frank wrote:
On 7/10/2011 10:43 PM, Nad R wrote:
Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...-never-tasted-
so
-good.html

[...]

Back in the day about 30 years ago I first came in contact with added
fiber. Seems some paperback manufacturer had lots of unsold books so
they bought a bread manufacturer. Heat up the books and bleach and wow
we had fiber enriched bread.

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/in...onderbread.htm

"In 1986, a new reduced-calorie Wonder Bread was launched. Made with
fibers from natural sources, Wonder Light is the company’s most
successful new product in decades."

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net/

Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Frank wrote:
[...]

I believe that was the bread that caught my toaster on fire. Sawdust is a
natural source

Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Frank wrote:
[...]

screw with people in the name of "Stealing" a dollar.

Granted, I want to have my food labled, so that I know what I'm eating.
With obesity what it is these days, high fiber foods "may" give
satisfaction without the calories. Presently, my preference is to put
extra lettuce (garden grown to be sure) on my BLTs. Soon I'll be able to
add thick slices of garden tomatoes to that combo.
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Frank wrote:
On 7/10/2011 10:43 PM, Nad R wrote:
Those here might find this interesting.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...lp-never-taste
d-
so
-good.html

[...]

Bill, do you use bleached white flour, or unbleached white flour?

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...ce/dp/14000334
62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271102831&sr=1-1
Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science
of Diet and Health (Vintage)
by Gary Taubes

p. 96
White flour's low protein, vitamins, and mineral content made it "less
liable than whole meal flour to infestations by beetles and the
depredations of rodents", as Sir Stanley Davidson and Reginald Passmore
observed in their textbook Human Nutrition and Dietetics (1963).
--
- Billy

Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012...pulp-never-tas...

--
Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)

test
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Bill, do you use bleached white flour, or unbleached white flour?

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...ce/dp/14000334
62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271102831&sr=1-1
Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science
of Diet and Health (Vintage)
by Gary Taubes

p. 96
White flour's low protein, vitamins, and mineral content made it "less
liable than whole meal flour to infestations by beetles and the
depredations of rodents", as Sir Stanley Davidson and Reginald Passmore
observed in their textbook Human Nutrition and Dietetics (1963).

I use whole wheat and all-purpose unbleached flowers. I make my own bread,
pancake mix and biscuits from the basics. Some day I will get a grinder and
make my own flour from wheat berries. I am not sure but the berries i
believe have a much longer self life than the flour itself. I have seen
organically grown fifty pound containers of wheat berries for sale but I do
not remember the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Reinhart...0422524&sr=8-2

I have this book. Now that my garden and yard is shape and I am maintenance
mode until harvest I have more time during the day to do other things. it
is a good time and get a new sourdough mother starter going again. During
the winter my home is not warm enough for the mother starter to grow. Now
it is warm enough and I have thine.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Bill, do you use bleached white flour, or unbleached white flour?

Unbleached but I'd guess anything manufactured contains bleached flour.
When Walniut Acer's was alive I'd purchase wheat berries and grind my
own with I think it was called a corona wheat mill which had metal
plates.
Just about the same time 1986 some genius discovered that if you added
cement to cattle feed they put on more weight. The world of quantity
became ascendant and quality declined in many commodities.