GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broadbeans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/198885-broadbeans.html)

Grub 16-07-2011 10:48 PM

Broadbeans

How do tell when they are ready? Three times now I've picked some and one had nothing in it at all and the others had very tiny beans that had obviously only started to grow

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 17-07-2011 06:01 AM

Broadbeans

Grub wrote:
How do tell when they are ready? Three times now I've picked some and
one had nothing in it at all and the others had very tiny beans that
had obviously only started to grow

The pods have to be big and fat, you should be able to feel the beans
inside.

songbird[_2_] 17-07-2011 04:35 PM

Broadbeans

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Grub wrote:
How do tell when they are ready? Three times now I've picked some and
one had nothing in it at all and the others had very tiny beans that
had obviously only started to grow

The pods have to be big and fat, you should be able to feel the beans
inside.

can you see them through the pod
if the sun is behind the pod?

songbird

FarmI 18-07-2011 04:49 AM

Broadbeans

"Grub" wrote in message

How do tell when they are ready? Three times now I've picked some and
one had nothing in it at all and the others had very tiny beans that had
obviously only started to grow

You can see bumps in the pod and you can feel them. Pick when the beans are
still small in the pod as big broadbeans are only good if you skin them
after they are cooked and who can be bothered doing that.