Old 19-07-2011, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ping Nad R & Billy

"songbird" wrote in message
Billy wrote:
Farm1 wrote:

Have you read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series? If not, I
strongly
recommend all 20 and a half books in the series (or is that 21 and half
books??). Best author I have ever had the pleasure to read.

The New York Times book list seems to like him too.

Master and Commander requested from our library (and from Netflix).

the movie is not much at all like the
books. if you won't read them you are
missing the boat (so to speak).

Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

for science fiction that does get
you wondering again try Alastair Reynolds
(almost everything he's written i have
enjoyed).

It was a combination of 2 of the books which were widely separated in the
series. Although I do agree that it isn't a patch on the books, I found
that it really helped me in understandign a lot of the nautical terms, the
cramped nature of the boats and the noise and the drama of battle (and I did
enjoy seeing 'the lesser of two......' being said by Jack).

Old 19-07-2011, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:

being a techie and interested in AI i've
always liked any books that are about how
computers/robots try to take over the world
or are misunderstood. and first contact
stories too. i had a nice collection of
these kinds along with the cyberpunk
authors, but then sold them all off.

Then you will love "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge".

i think i've read it, but i will double
check next time i get a chance.

songbird
Old 19-07-2011, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message news:Wildbilly- "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

I've been low-carbing.

Pffff!!! I'm no fan of such a thing. I believe we have a mix of food
available to us and that we shoudl partake. The only 'evidence' I've seen
relating to low-carb looks quite like quackerie TMWOT.

In my case I'm a "Type II" diabetic. If I want to keep my organism, I'm
required to keep my blood glucose low.

For a close (if somewhat overwhelming) look at low carbing, see
"Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science
of Diet and Health" (Vintage)
by Gary Taubes
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...ce/dp/14000334
62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271102831&sr=1-1

p.194
Anything that raises blood sugar - in particular, the consumption of
refined and easily digestible carbohydrates - will increase the
generation of oxidants and free radicals; it will increase the rate of
oxidative stress and glycation,and the formation and accumulation of
advanced glycation end products. This means that anything that raises
blood sugar, by the logic of the carbohydrate hypothesis, will lead to
more atherosclerosis and heart disease, more vascular disorders, and a
pace of accelerated degeneration, even in those of us who never become
diabetic.

Trying to keep my blood sugar down but last night
I cracked, and we had our first pasta primavera (été) of the season. God
it was good. Whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, sweet peppers, scallions,
basil, garlic, & lemon zest with olive oil as the sauce, accompanied
with a side order of sautéed zucchini. The basil, peppers, and zucchini
where from the garden. Good stuff, and will only get gooder as the
garden progresses.

Atta boy! That's good food.

Finished the pasta last night with our first harvest of green beans.

otherwise. Stuff like how low the poundage of lamb eaten in the US in a
year (1LB/person/year which astonished me)

Likewise, I've never gotten used to the flavor of lamb. The best I've
had came with a strong soy sauce glaze. It covered the flavor. But I'm
no gourmet, I don't like the taste of salmon either.

I love a good lamb cutlet. TMWOT, it's straight from the culinary Gods. It
makes a good steak pale into insignificance IMO. But more lamb for me if
you don't like it :-))

That would be about as useful as boobs on a budgerigar TMWOT.

Careful, "boobs" hold an exalted and sacred position in my pantheon of
desires. You, the proud owner of a pair, my not share my fascination

Absolutely not. Useless things once their biological function is done
with - need medical tests that cost money or otherwise they can just
possibly go cancerous and kill one.

Have you read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series? If not, I
strongly
recommend all 20 and a half books in the series (or is that 21 and half
books??). Best author I have ever had the pleasure to read.

The New York Times book list seems to like him too.

Master and Commander requested from our library (and from Netflix).

I do warn of a possible serius addiction resulting. I have no interest
whatsoever in the British navy, the Napoleonic wars, The war againt the US
in about 1812(???) or any of the other subject matter in these books but I
was hooked from about p50. Wonderful English prose - pity I can't find
someone else who writes as well.

joy the cinema, but it is my "Lovey-poo" who enjoys reading the
"who-done-it"s. I read little fiction, and often that is junk sci-fi.

Good sci-fi is well worth the effort but junk s-f gives me the irrits. I've
just read Terry Nation's "The survivors" and although a simple little book,
it was a blast from the long distant past and enormously satisfying.

(It keeps my eyes moving, but I don't have to think about it much.) When
I'm not reading who-why-what-when-and-where documentary kinds of things,
I find solace from a series on haiku by R.H. Blyth
http://www.ralphmag.org/haikuP.html

V. nice. I do like Japanese verse about platns and gardens - can never
rember the exact words but wonderful nevertheless. One fave is; 'the
morning glory twines around the well bucket, so I lack water'.

Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

All literature is probably strange in it's own way :-))

We picked up our first load of firewood yesterday. Three more loads to
go.

The brushwood,
Though cut for fuel,
Is beginning to bud.
- Boncho
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.
Old 19-07-2011, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

ask@itshall be given wrote:

I've been low-carbing.

Pffff!!! I'm no fan of such a thing. I believe we have a mix of food
available to us and that we shoudl partake. The only 'evidence' I've
seen
relating to low-carb looks quite like quackerie TMWOT.

In my case I'm a "Type II" diabetic. If I want to keep my organism, I'm
required to keep my blood glucose low.

You certainly have good reason to know exactly what you are eating with that
condition. Most low-carb proponents I've seen on usenet, don't have a
similar reason.

For a close (if somewhat overwhelming) look at low carbing, see
"Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science
of Diet and Health" (Vintage)
by Gary Taubes
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...ce/dp/14000334
62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271102831&sr=1-1

p.194
Anything that raises blood sugar - in particular, the consumption of
refined and easily digestible carbohydrates

'refined and easily digestible' indeed, but what about complex
carbohydrates? Surely anyone with Type II would know to stay away from
simple carbohydrates and know all about the complex carbohydrates. I note
that the snippet you've quoted mentions nothing whatsoever about the latter
so I'd hope it appears later in that cite.

If I ever end up with Type II diabetes, the first thing I'd do would be to
buy myself a decent grain mill. I've recently been toying with the idea
because of the wonderful taste that freshly ground wheat gives to my bread -
one forgets that wheat has a great taste until you get really good freshly
ground flour. Perhaps I should convince myself it'd be a godo preventative
investment.

- will increase the
generation of oxidants and free radicals; it will increase the rate of
oxidative stress and glycation,and the formation and accumulation of
advanced glycation end products. This means that anything that raises
blood sugar, by the logic of the carbohydrate hypothesis, will lead to
more atherosclerosis and heart disease, more vascular disorders, and a
pace of accelerated degeneration, even in those of us who never become
diabetic.

All literature is probably strange in it's own way :-))

We picked up our first load of firewood yesterday. Three more loads to
go.

I hope I don't need any more loads this season - it seems to have been
rather cold to date.

The brushwood,
Though cut for fuel,
Is beginning to bud.
- Boncho

:-))

Old 19-07-2011, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:

being a techie and interested in AI i've
always liked any books that are about how
computers/robots try to take over the world
or are misunderstood. and first contact
stories too. i had a nice collection of
these kinds along with the cyberpunk
authors, but then sold them all off.

Then you will love "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge".

i think i've read it, but i will double
check next time i get a chance.

songbird

I like this series.

Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book
1)

12 books in all or at least 9. Not Sci-fi but fantasy. I have a hard
time distinguishing the two labels.

"Tell them at Riverstone that there is no help for the land."

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://honest-food.net/

Old 19-07-2011, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:

12 books in all or at least 9. Not Sci-fi but fantasy. I have a hard
time distinguishing the two labels.

For the most part it goes like this:

Science Fiction tends to deal in the future. Fantasy tends to deal in the
past.
Science Fiction tends to have the hero solving a technical or social
problem. Fantasy tends to have the hero on a quest of some kind.

I do not read that many books in the fantasy arena. "American Gods by Neil
Gaiman" and last book I read from fantasy was book one of three, (2&3) not
out yet, was "The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman". I tend to avoid
authors that have a series of them if know before hand. So I will wait for
Mr Hoffman to release the last two novels, however, Hoffman's writing do
flow well, it was a good read".

Old 20-07-2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature
I am a stranger in a strange land.

for science fiction that does get
you wondering again try Alastair Reynolds
(almost everything he's written i have
enjoyed).

songbird

I have read around twenty of Robert Heilen's books. Stranger in a
Strange Land is an excellent read. I have read well over four hundred
science fiction books.

I read SIASL when I was about 20 and thought it was a hoot. I re-read it a
few years ago and found it very dated. The "shocking" parts no longer have
any shock and while I understand the parody of American religion much better
now it isn't as funny. Heinlein never wrote great prose like (for example)
Card. Apparently the original version was somewhat censored by the
publisher and Heinlein's estate published the full version a few years ago,
possibly in an effort to put some punch into it.

David

Old 20-07-2011, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
[...]

I read and have the original version. I suppose gay marriages in the past
was a shocker and people that saw someone with tattoos all over their body
may no longer have that shocker value. But the beauty of it, he was way
ahead of time.

The same with "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" the insight of computers and
Artificial Intelligence theories he talks about when people were still
using slide rules in those days.

An amazing writer.

I do remember you stated that you were a founding member of a Heinlein fan
club?

Old 20-07-2011, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

ask@itshall be given wrote:

[...]

Enriched flour is interesting. Some 40 nutrients are removed from the
flour, and 5 are added back and it's called enriched.

p. 96
White flour's low protein, vitamins, and mineral content made it "less
liable than whole meal flour to infestations by beetles and the
depredations of rodents", as Sir Stanley Davidson and Reginald Passmore
observed in their textbook Human Nutrition and Dietetics (1963).

- will increase the
generation of oxidants and free radicals; it will increase the rate of
oxidative stress and glycation,and the formation and accumulation of
advanced glycation end products. This means that anything that raises
blood sugar, by the logic of the carbohydrate hypothesis, will lead to
more atherosclerosis and heart disease, more vascular disorders, and a
pace of accelerated degeneration, even in those of us who never become
diabetic.

All literature is probably strange in it's own way :-))

We picked up our first load of firewood yesterday. Three more loads to
go.

I hope I don't need any more loads this season - it seems to have been
rather cold to date.

It's the Spring here, that eats up most of our firewood.

Gotta get my work here done. The grape harvest is coming up soon (with
any luck at all) so I need to get my house work finished.

The brushwood,
Though cut for fuel,
Is beginning to bud.
- Boncho

:-))

Old 20-07-2011, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
I like this series.

Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book

I know I've read at least one of them, but I'm darned if I can remember
anythign about them/it. Were they vaguely Medieval?

Old 20-07-2011, 08:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

If bugs won't eat it, nor should humans :-))

It's the Spring here, that eats up most of our firewood.

Why is that?

Old 20-07-2011, 10:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
I like this series.

Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book

I know I've read at least one of them, but I'm darned if I can remember
anythign about them/it. Were they vaguely Medieval?

Present day alternate universe.

Old 20-07-2011, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Brain fart.

Most of our wood gets burned Jan. thru March, which is technically
winter, but this year we were still building winter fires in April and
May. We have some 30 - 40 trees, better to hold the hillside in one
place, and all fallen limbs, or overlooked wood from previous tree
trimmings went into the stove before the weather improved. Most of what
we burn comes from a company that makes gun stocks out of walnut.
Usually the trash that our trees throw is used as kindling.
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.

ping Nad R David Hare-Scott[_2_] Gardening 1 01-03-2011 12:09 PM
Ping Chuck, Billy et al (cider stupidity & cooking sherry) George[_14_] Gardening 31 25-03-2010 06:02 AM
Ping Billy FarmI Edible Gardening 3 24-08-2008 06:34 AM
Ping Billy The Water cure 1902 Bill[_13_] Gardening 16 24-02-2008 07:54 PM
Ping Charlie and Billy William Wagner[_2_] Gardening 10 27-10-2007 07:28 AM