Old 19-07-2011, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default my stevia plants taste like crap!

I've been using Stevia to sweeten my tea and cereal for a couple of
months now, and when I saw some plants at a local store marked down to a
buck, I decided to plant 6 of them out by the mailbox.

When I took a couple of leaves and chewed them, however, I was left
spitting out a very vile tasting green substance for a couple of
minutes. Only later did I truly seem to taste the sweet taste I was
used to, as a lingering aftertaste.

Does this horrid taste go away if you dry the leaves?
Old 19-07-2011, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ohioguy wrote:

I've been using Stevia to sweeten my tea and cereal for a couple of
months now, and when I saw some plants at a local store marked down to a
buck, I decided to plant 6 of them out by the mailbox.

When I took a couple of leaves and chewed them, however, I was left
spitting out a very vile tasting green substance for a couple of
minutes. Only later did I truly seem to taste the sweet taste I was
used to, as a lingering aftertaste.

Does this horrid taste go away if you dry the leaves?

There seems to be some variation in the flavor of different plants, or
it could be the way they are cultivated, of maybe a dog uses them for
his toilet. Mine taste fine to me, but the sweetness does take a few
seconds to show itself.
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.
Old 19-07-2011, 06:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
.com...
When I took a couple of leaves and chewed them, however, I was left
spitting out a very vile tasting green substance for a couple of minutes.
Only later did I truly seem to taste the sweet taste I was used to, as a
lingering aftertaste.
Does this horrid taste go away if you dry the leaves?

I noticed that my youngest stevia leaves were uniformly sweet, but they get
very bitter as they grow. If you eat too much, you taste bitter instead of
sweet. I did exactly what you did once and popped a whole mature leaf into
my mouth. Yikes. But nibbling it in tiny doses brought out the sweet. A
little stevia goes a LOONNNNNNG way.
--S.

Old 19-07-2011, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...

There are different varieties of Stevia.

Does this horrid taste go away if you dry the leaves?

Probably not. My read of the nature of 'glycoside' and looking at
reports around the web, including competitors' claims and counter-claims
suggest that the bitterness is persistent.

One (Chinese) wholesaler says they remove the stem and as much vein from
the leaves as possible and that makes their product better and less
bitter.

Richters has developed 'Crazy Sweet' which isn't bitter and lives up to
its name. On the downside we've found it a very easy plant kill and have
yet to bring a plant to maturity.

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...?product=X6031
&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Plants&cart_id =9157068.29803

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...?product=X6030
&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Plants&cart_id =9157068.29803

I was able to "over-winter" a Stevia plant under lights for its first
years, but I lost it the second winter. I'm dealing with a marginal sun
light situation (about 6 hr./day), but have had no problems growing
Stevia from seed.

Old 20-07-2011, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month
term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all
it would take. Just once.

You must of watched Office space lately.

Old 21-07-2011, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month
term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's
all
it would take. Just once.

You must of watched Office space lately.

No.

hmm i think that movie coined the phrase pound me in the ass prison.

Old 22-07-2011, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

[...]

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...reet-in-jail-2
0110216
Financial crooks brought down the world's economy ‹ but the feds are
doing more to protect them than to prosecute them
By
*Matt Taibbi
FEBRUARY 16, 2011 9:00 AM ET

one has to think carefully about the efficacy of fines as a punishment
for a defendant pool that includes the richest people on earth ‹ people
who simply get their companies to pay their fines for them. Conversely,
one has to consider the powerful deterrent to further wrongdoing that
the state is missing by not introducing this particular class of people
to the experience of incarceration. "You put Lloyd Blankfein in
pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit
would stop, all over Wall Street," says a former congressional aide.
"That's all it would take. Just once."
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would overhaul Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/21/headlines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNt1IsDOT0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFymBUsoNWY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLJ2z8BSUPc&feature=youtu.be
Vote 3rd Party

Stevia: monoecious or dioecious? Billy[_7_] Gardening 0 27-06-2009 12:30 AM
Stevia Arviragus Edible Gardening 6 29-05-2004 11:06 PM
Stevia larry Edible Gardening 8 08-12-2003 07:12 AM
Why does my lawn look like crap??? Fleemo Gardening 12 22-05-2003 07:56 PM
stevia query whiteMemphis Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:26 PM