Old 24-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered User

Default Apple and Kiwi

Hi, i have an issue with my apple and kiwi vine both planted 4 years ago in heavy clay soil. they are around 3 metres apart from the nearest branch. we had a Labrador dog who used the space between them as his toilet.
the issue we have is many of the leaves have lost their colour and the leaves have turned yellow. both were fine in the spring but have had this issue during the summer. you can see the green veins on the leaves but the rest is yellow. i found small black bugs on the underside of the kiwi which i have sprayed.
runner beans are also growing in amongst the kiwi and they are fine. we also have a grape vine and victoria plum which are also fine. i fed both with bonemeal in the spring which hasn't been too wet (south west UK near Bristol)
does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
Old 24-07-2011, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

mattster1 wrote:
Hi, i have an issue with my apple and kiwi vine both planted 4 years
ago in heavy clay soil. they are around 3 metres apart from the
nearest branch. we had a Labrador dog who used the space between them
as his toilet.

What is an 'apple and kiwi vine'? Are you talking about kiwi fruit ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_fruit

A liitle extra nitrogen on mature vines is probably not the cause of your
problem.

the issue we have is many of the leaves have lost their colour and the
leaves have turned yellow. both were fine in the spring but have had
this issue during the summer. you can see the green veins on the
leaves but the rest is yellow. i found small black bugs on the
underside of the kiwi which i have sprayed.
runner beans are also growing in amongst the kiwi and they are fine.
we also have a grape vine and victoria plum which are also fine. i
fed both with bonemeal in the spring which hasn't been too wet (south
west UK near Bristol)
does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

This is only a guess but it sounds like a mineral deficiency that the kiwi
is susceptible to that the others are not.

David

Old 25-07-2011, 08:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
mattster1 wrote:
Hi, i have an issue with my apple and kiwi vine both planted 4 years
ago in heavy clay soil. they are around 3 metres apart from the
nearest branch. we had a Labrador dog who used the space between them
as his toilet.

What is an 'apple and kiwi vine'? Are you talking about kiwi fruit ?

I suspect the OP might mean an apple tree and a kiwifruit vine.

Old 25-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered User

Sorry yes i meant a kiwi vine and an apple tree. Is it possible that the dog has overloaded the soil with nitrogen and driven out nutriants? Any ideas what i can do to help or should i leave them and see if they recover?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
mattster1

Do a soil test!!!!!, it is 15$ or so here, The Shamanistas can conjure
up all kinds of "theory" but come on, can they really tell what your
soil conditons and the problem from your posting?

think that thru!

A soil test trumps organo feel good anytime!

its your soil!

Hybrid pear and kiwi? Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Edible Gardening 4 10-11-2011 05:41 AM
Kiwi fruit and PSA disease Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 0 18-11-2010 01:14 PM
Kiwi gender issues Right Star Edible Gardening 5 02-06-2003 05:56 AM
Kiwi? JNJ Gardening 9 27-03-2003 01:44 PM
Kiwi plants Mark Edible Gardening 18 01-03-2003 10:52 AM