Old 28-07-2011, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hot Peppers - When do I pick them

I have several different variety of hot peppers growing. Jalapeno,
cayenne, asian hot

My problem is I can't figure out when to pick them. Not sure when they
are ready.

Can someone recommend a simple rule. They are all various sizes. i
picked a few jalepenos. They look ok but the flavor is not right.

Thanks for any help!

Brian
Old 28-07-2011, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Brian Bowman wrote:
I have several different variety of hot peppers growing. Jalapeno,
cayenne, asian hot

My problem is I can't figure out when to pick them. Not sure when they
are ready.

Can someone recommend a simple rule. They are all various sizes. i
picked a few jalepenos. They look ok but the flavor is not right.

Thanks for any help!

Brian

For full flavour pick them when they are fully coloured with the final
colour of the cultivar. They are all green when immature, the mature colour
is often red but can be brown, purple, yellow, orange or mixed. If they
don't get diseased or fall off you can often leave them on the bush for some
time after they are ripe and so pick them as required.

Old 29-07-2011, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Brian Bowman wrote:
I have several different variety of hot peppers growing. Jalapeno,
cayenne, asian hot

My problem is I can't figure out when to pick them. Not sure when they
are ready.

Can someone recommend a simple rule. They are all various sizes. i
picked a few jalepenos. They look ok but the flavor is not right.

Thanks for any help!

Brian

For full flavour pick them when they are fully coloured with the final
colour of the cultivar. They are all green when immature, the mature colour
is often red but can be brown, purple, yellow, orange or mixed. If they
don't get diseased or fall off you can often leave them on the bush for some
time after they are ripe and so pick them as required.

If you want maximum flavor, pick when red. If you want maximum
production pick when green. The flavor of green jalapenos improves, if
you roast them, so that the skin turns black. De-skin, chop, and use.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy. In addition to entitlement cuts, the so-called "Gang of Six" plan would eliminate a number of popular tax breaks and deductions, including write-offs for home mortgage interest and employer-provided health benefits. The savings would help offset the cost of then lowering the top individual and corporate tax rates from 35 percent to at least 29 percent.

America is not broke.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.
Vote 3rd Party
Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 28, 2:38*pm, Brian Bowman wrote:
I have several different variety of hot peppers growing. Jalapeno,
cayenne, asian hot

My problem is I can't figure out when to pick them. Not sure when they
are ready.

Can someone recommend a simple rule. They are all various sizes. i
picked a few jalepenos. They look ok but the flavor is not right.

Thanks for any help!

Brian

These old boys here an't got nothign to know about chiles
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 28, 2:38*pm, Brian Bowman wrote:
I have several different variety of hot peppers growing. Jalapeno,
cayenne, asian hot

My problem is I can't figure out when to pick them. Not sure when they
are ready.

Can someone recommend a simple rule. They are all various sizes. i
picked a few jalepenos. They look ok but the flavor is not right.

Thanks for any help!

Brian try this:

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_h/h-230.pdf

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
blossom end rot, can I pick them green I & H Edible Gardening 5 09-08-2004 02:32 PM
When to pick jalapeno peppers Mark Anderson Gardening 19 01-08-2004 10:41 PM
Sungold/Cherry tomatos: Green but dying.. Should I pick them? Noam Avnery Edible Gardening 2 17-08-2003 04:42 PM