Old 30-07-2011, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default late planting tricks?

Here (zone 5.x, central NY), I get really poor germination rates on
seeds (radishes, kale, beets) that I start after early July. And, thos
that do germinate just languish - they never get their 'growth spurt'.

This year, a woodchuck cleaned out our kale, and I thought that was
that. But, at the market today, a guy who I know grows kale, said he
still hasn't planted it yet. All he'd say is, "You just have to know
what you're doing."

I'm going to give it another try; but, any thoughts would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
George
Old 30-07-2011, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George said:

Here (zone 5.x, central NY), I get really poor germination rates on
seeds (radishes, kale, beets) that I start after early July. And, thos
that do germinate just languish - they never get their 'growth spurt'.

This year, a woodchuck cleaned out our kale, and I thought that was
that. But, at the market today, a guy who I know grows kale, said he
still hasn't planted it yet. All he'd say is, "You just have to know
what you're doing."

I stick to transplants for fall crops. Too many bugs (crickets, woodlice,
earwigs et al.) that love those tender young sprouts, along with all the
birds hopping around after the bugs and seed, pecking and trampling the
little stuff.

(Yes, really, my garden often has several dozen birds of various species
feeding and/or loafing in it. They seem to have glommed on to the fact
that the fence keeps them safe, or something.)

Transplanting is easy with kohlrabi, kale and other crucifers, chard, and
lettuce, not so much with radishes and beets.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 30-07-2011, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:36:22 -0400, George
wrote:

Here (zone 5.x, central NY), I get really poor germination rates on
seeds (radishes, kale, beets) that I start after early July. And, thos
that do germinate just languish - they never get their 'growth spurt'.

This year, a woodchuck cleaned out our kale, and I thought that was
that. But, at the market today, a guy who I know grows kale, said he
still hasn't planted it yet. All he'd say is, "You just have to know
what you're doing."

I'm going to give it another try; but, any thoughts would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Check with your county extension agent. Look on the back or your seed
packet for planting times for your area.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills