Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Progress? report

So far my zucchini has given up the ghost. We planted a few more and
will see if we can get enough before frost. My cucumbers are
surviving the neglect of a couple of weeks ago. I think I have most
of the baseball bats picked and put into the compost. The plants are
beginning to blossom again. I think the butternut and acorn squash
have given up. Did get enough for several meals.

Tomatoes are ripening. So far I have picked about 50 pounds. Today I
will can the Viva Italias and we will use the others in salads and
sandwiches. The peppers and eggplants are producing now. I am
leaving some of the peppers on the plants to turn color. And the okra
is starting. Why is it that the okra spears have to match the stems
and grow right beside them, making them so hard to find?

I have some fruit on the cantaloupe, pumpkin and watermelon vines. I
must remember to plant those things in a remote section of the garden
next year. They are taking over.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills