Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered User

Default Plum tree with few fruits

My plum tree has barely four fruits but last year and the year before it was full so it can't be one of those alternating year ones. Last year I shook it to get the plums down. Could this have damaged it?
Wish I knew how to put this in with all the other plum tree questions but short of clicking on 'new thread' I can't see how to put questions inthe right place. There isn't much in the way of help for people not 'in the know' about how to use a forum.
Old 19-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered User

Location: India

I think proper caring and use of insecticides and fertilisers can help a lot. Besides these chemical can do it fast but i really in oppose of chemical as they affect our health.
Old 24-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufty View Post
My plum tree has barely four fruits but last year and the year before it was full so it can't be one of those alternating year ones. Last year I shook it to get the plums down. Could this have damaged it?
Wish I knew how to put this in with all the other plum tree questions but short of clicking on 'new thread' I can't see how to put questions inthe right place. There isn't much in the way of help for people not 'in the know' about how to use a forum.
Clicking on "new thread" is just how to do it. You are in edible gardening, where else did you want it to be?

Many fruit trees have it in them to become alternate year bearing if they have a heavy year, or run of heavy years, and feel the need to recover. Next time it looks like your tree is heavy laden, perhaps thin it a bit.

You can also lose most of your fruit in a given year if there is a dry spell or a frost at just the wrong time.
Old 24-08-2011, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

echinosum wrote:
Tufty;932313 Wrote:
[...]

I am guessing that my tree in Seattle did badly because of the cold wet Seattle
spring. There were NO bees to be seen while they were flowering.

Old 29-08-2011, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I am guessing that my tree in Seattle did badly because of the cold wet Seattle
spring. There were NO bees to be seen while they were flowering.

In the S. Sound near Mt Rainier, I had plenty of bees since early
May, mostly Bumbles and Masons working the early flowering trees.
Thick as thieves right now on the Cones, Lavender, Oregano and
Marjoram. However this years cool wet weather did cause a bit of
brown blossom rot to come out on the cherry and plums, also lots of
Powdery Mildew settled on the Hazelnuts and Blackberries. Saw signs
else where from the Quinault area south to Oly.

http://www.collierarbor.com/problemp...som_Blight.pdf