GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Quick Decay of Tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/199340-quick-decay-tomatoes.html)

Davej 15-08-2011 04:42 PM

Quick Decay of Tomatoes

Birds have been pecking on my tomatoes this Summer so I have been
picking them a bit green, and then letting them sit on a window sill
(no direct sun) to ripen -- but they are hardly ripe before they
deteriorate (maybe 2-3 days). Is there a better or preferred method
for this? Thanks!

Steve Peek 15-08-2011 09:55 PM

Quick Decay of Tomatoes

"Davej" wrote in message
Birds have been pecking on my tomatoes this Summer so I have been
picking them a bit green, and then letting them sit on a window sill
(no direct sun) to ripen -- but they are hardly ripe before they
deteriorate (maybe 2-3 days). Is there a better or preferred method
for this? Thanks!

The best thing is to give the birds a source of water nearby. That should
stop them from pecking.

The rotting is a whole different thing, I'd say it's due to some form of
blight.

HTH,
Steve

songbird[_2_] 16-08-2011 03:13 AM

Quick Decay of Tomatoes

Steve Peek wrote:

"Davej" wrote in message
Birds have been pecking on my tomatoes this Summer so I have been
picking them a bit green, and then letting them sit on a window sill
(no direct sun) to ripen -- but they are hardly ripe before they
deteriorate (maybe 2-3 days). Is there a better or preferred method
for this? Thanks!

The best thing is to give the birds a source of water nearby. That should
stop them from pecking.

we have never had this problem and have
many birds around, so i'd say you're
right about that. i'm not sure if they'll
stop immediately as they might need time
to figure it out.

net the plants to keep the birds away
and leave the fruits on the plants.

The rotting is a whole different thing, I'd say it's due to some form of
blight.

no trouble i know of. more likely the
sill is too hot even if it doesn't get
direct sun. i'd put them in a paper bag
and put them someplace away from a window.
make sure they are undamaged and dry to
start with.

songbird