Old 15-08-2011, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default inner city vineyard - what do you think?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=137098
Old 16-08-2011, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Frank wrote:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=137098

Not that unusual.
http://www.frenchgardening.com/visitez.html?pid=1207244084166471
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 16-08-2011, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/15/2011 7:32 PM, Billy wrote:
In ,
wrote:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=137098

Not that unusual.
http://www.frenchgardening.com/visitez.html?pid=1207244084166471

Good. Wife lived on Hough Avenue in Cleveland when she was a child and
later it became a slum after they moved. Nice to see things are improving.
Old 16-08-2011, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:50:34 -0400, Frank
wrote:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=137098

Good to see-- but you don't need to take the buildings out-
http://www.glenwoodnyc.com/manhattan...ens-and-urban/

This one was featured on a news show a month or so ago--
http://rooftopfarms.org/

3 stories up in Brooklyn- a great view of Manhattan & 6000 square feet
of garden. And its a CSA to boot with a bunch of local eateries
buying their wares.

They grow "cucumbers, hot peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, spinach,
radishes, kale, swiss chard, carrots, peas, beans, salad greens
(lettuces, mustards, arugula) herbs (sage, tarragon, oregano, parsley,
chives, cilantro, dill), and flowers (cosmos, zinnias, calendula,
tobacco, daisys, hops). Additionally, the Farm grows a small amount of
corn and squash (winter and summer)."
[and honey-- don't forget the honeyg]

Jim
Old 16-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_10_] View Post
They are a traditional institution in Vienna and other cities of eastern Austria. Heuriger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 16-08-2011, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Frank wrote:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=137098

Where are absorbed toxins stored in the grape plant? Leaves? Roots?
Fruit? Inner city soil is typically high in lead and various other
pollutants.

I have an urban organic garden on my property, and what edible plants I
grow (a fair number) are grown entirely in soil I had trucked in and
build beds with. Just being near city streets will have deposited much
lead from car exhaust, and who knows what else was dumped in the yard
before I bought the house?

Even if I did drink wine, I wouldn't drink that wine until I knew about
more about this question.

Priscilla
Boston, MA
Old 16-08-2011, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote:

In article ,
Frank wrote:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=137098

Where are absorbed toxins stored in the grape plant? Leaves? Roots?
Fruit? Inner city soil is typically high in lead and various other
pollutants.

I have an urban organic garden on my property, and what edible plants I
grow (a fair number) are grown entirely in soil I had trucked in and
build beds with. Just being near city streets will have deposited much
lead from car exhaust, and who knows what else was dumped in the yard
before I bought the house?

Even if I did drink wine, I wouldn't drink that wine until I knew about
more about this question.

Priscilla
Boston, MA

Residues from herbicides, pesticides, and air pollution would settle on
the outside of a plant. Absorption from the soil is unlikely in that
roots facilitate the passage of certain nutrients which are required by
the vine, leaving undesired compounds and minerals to decay or wash away
with a rain.

If wine is made, the yeast will absorb any heavy metals that it may
contain. The clear wine is decanted (racked) away from the sediment
(including the yeast), which results in a wine, free from toxic levels
of heavy metals and/or pesticides.

Old 17-08-2011, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote:

In article ,
Frank wrote:

[...]

That's certainly not true of carrots. They'll collect lead from the
soil. They're one of the worst vegetables to plant in polluted soil.

If wine is made, the yeast will absorb any heavy metals that it may
contain. The clear wine is decanted (racked) away from the sediment
(including the yeast), which results in a wine, free from toxic levels
of heavy metals and/or pesticides.

Ah, OK. Thanks.

Priscilla
Old 18-08-2011, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:

Residues from herbicides, pesticides, and air pollution would settle on
the outside of a plant. Absorption from the soil is unlikely in that
roots facilitate the passage of certain nutrients which are required by
the vine, leaving undesired compounds and minerals to decay or wash away
with a rain.

If wine is made, the yeast will absorb any heavy metals that it may
contain. The clear wine is decanted (racked) away from the sediment
(including the yeast), which results in a wine, free from toxic levels
of heavy metals and/or pesticides.

Brewers yeast is highly nutritious. Some eat it deliberately. I've
done so with the yeast from my home brewed ale. I also tend to use the
yeast from any of my brewing as fertilizer in my garden for any of it I
don't eat. So I take it if I have any suspicion of mineral
contamination I should not do that. Got it. Much less a problem with
grains from the home brew shop to make ale than home grown grapes to
make wine. Got it.

Thnx
Old 24-08-2011, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 16, 12:49*pm, Billy wrote:

Residues from herbicides, pesticides, and air pollution would settle on
the outside of a plant. Absorption from the soil is unlikely in that
roots facilitate the passage of certain nutrients which are required by
the vine, leaving undesired compounds and minerals to decay or wash away
with a rain.

Wow! So interesting to read you agree with what we have been saying
for so long. Also amazed to read the" birds" actually admit to using
organophosphates on their little commune. The pseudoscience
thingie not working so well, huh?

Inner city birds JennyC United Kingdom 9 10-03-2010 11:20 AM
Raised Gardens used for inner city roof tops or paved surfaces Harold[_2_] Gardening 0 28-03-2007 11:05 AM
Inner city vegetable garden - health Cynthia Australia 10 27-03-2007 01:49 PM
camelias etc struggling in inner city planter box. CrumpetHead Australia 2 23-02-2005 09:30 PM
Inner City - Courtyard Gardening - Infestation of Vine Weevil Sharon Hughes United Kingdom 5 11-06-2004 07:06 PM