Old 25-08-2011, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mortgage Lifter

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Really? You must have that Harry Potter wand and magic word that
turns plants back into seeds .... "Reverso tomaticus!"

very funny, but you know what i
mean jellybean.

songbird

I do

Old 25-08-2011, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
songbird wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew
very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of
fruit.

The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look
fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries,
but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no
depth of flavor whatsoever.

aw!

thanks for saying. we've always been happy
with the beefsteaks. the past few years we
added the sweet 100s cherry tomatoes and they
are very good. two plants take up about 60sq
ft and keep producing so many we have plenty
to give away. i'd rather give away a half a
pint of cherry tomatoes instead of a three
pound beefsteak.

I have only two full size varieties growing this year (many cherry,
pear, patios, etc, as they bear and ripen earlier here), the MLs and
some identified only as "heirloom tomato" on the labeling, that
latter having been bought as a lark from a reduced rack at the local
grocery store.

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has
produced fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown
tomato with indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

the seeds should be reusable.

Really? You must have that Harry Potter wand and magic word that turns
plants back into seeds .... "Reverso tomaticus!"

LOL. I was thinking simialr thoughts at the use of 'reusable'.

Have you planted any toms yet or do you need to wait a while longer?

Old 25-08-2011, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Really? You must have that Harry Potter wand and magic word that
turns plants back into seeds .... "Reverso tomaticus!"

very funny, but you know what i
mean jellybean.

songbird

I do

Couse we know, but it still didn't stop me thinking of the stories from my
youth of teens who reused condoms after carefully washing them out......

Old 25-08-2011, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Really? You must have that Harry Potter wand and magic word that
turns plants back into seeds .... "Reverso tomaticus!"

very funny, but you know what i
mean jellybean.

songbird

I do

Couse we know, but it still didn't stop me thinking of the stories
from my youth of teens who reused condoms after carefully washing
them out......

Nah gladwrap, you can get a big roll for a few dollars .....

Old 25-08-2011, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

My summer stuff is still in trays. The volunteers are coming up already but
there is still time for a frost before summer despite having budburst on the
stone fruits. So I will wait another 3 weeks to be safe.

Old 25-08-2011, 11:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad Nad is offline

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
FarmI wrote:

Have you planted any toms yet or do you need to wait a while longer?

My summer stuff is still in trays. The volunteers are coming up already
but there is still time for a frost before summer despite having budburst
on the stone fruits. So I will wait another 3 weeks to be safe.

How we differ, you are thinking of planting and I am thinking of harvest
I have been canning and freezing my summer bounty planning for the winter
while on the other side of the planet the summer is upon them.

In a way it does seem like, I am in the Muggle's world and the other side
is just past the 9 and 3/4 magical world.

--
Nad
Old 25-08-2011, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:25:30 -0400, songbird
wrote:

The Cook wrote:
For the last several years I have been trying lots of different
tomatoes and I have decided that next year I am only going to plant
Viva Italia, Better Boy, Early Girl and Jelly Bean. I am also going
to plant a second crop of Viva Italia and Better Boy since I seem to
have so much trouble with various and sundry blights and bugs.

a second crop in a different location or?

That is my plant for next year. I have also picked out the spot for
next year's tomatoes -- where the corn is growing this year. It
hasn't had tomatoes in it. In fact, this year's plot was fleshly
plowed for this year. Only grass on it for years.

A couple of days ago I found out what was eating my cantaloupe -- a
turtle.

haha! the race goes to the turtle.
did you catch it in the act?

Yes. He had his head in what was left of the cantaloupe.

songbird

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 25-08-2011, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:07:10 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:59:36 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:

So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew
very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of
fruit.

The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look
fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries,
but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no
depth of flavor whatsoever.

aw!

thanks for saying. we've always been happy
with the beefsteaks. the past few years we
added the sweet 100s cherry tomatoes and they
are very good. two plants take up about 60sq
ft and keep producing so many we have plenty
to give away. i'd rather give away a half a
pint of cherry tomatoes instead of a three
pound beefsteak.

I like the sweet 100s. Their only flaw is a tendancy to split after a
heavy rain...much more so than any of the other cherries or small
tomatoes I have going this year.

Yes...the cherries get given away, but those perfect full size
tomatoes are guarded like treasure.

I just made 3.5 pints of sauce from my grape tomatoes. Couldn't think
of anything else to do with them. About tomorrow I guess I will be
canning another7 quarts of tomatoes. I'm thinking about
gazpacho, hummus and tzatziki today. Bought some pita since I doubt I
will feel like making them today. Maybe I will search the freezer and
see if I still have some there.

I have only two full size varieties growing this year (many cherry,
pear, patios, etc, as they bear and ripen earlier here), the MLs and
some identified only as "heirloom tomato" on the labeling, that latter
having been bought as a lark from a reduced rack at the local grocery
store.

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

the seeds should be reusable.

And some have been saved. They are drying on paper towel.

It's fun gardening.

sure is, i have been working on thinning out
the strawberries and planting the runners in a spare
spot. five gallon bucket packed full. i have another
two sides to finish yet. they will go in another
place to fill in that garden.

I grow strawberries for show, I swear...with what the critters leave
me, it is an exercise in futility.

Boron

Old 25-08-2011, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:57:50 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:07:10 -0400, Boron Elgar

Yes...the cherries get given away, but those perfect full size
tomatoes are guarded like treasure.

I just made 3.5 pints of sauce from my grape tomatoes. Couldn't think
of anything else to do with them. About tomorrow I guess I will be
canning another7 quarts of tomatoes. I'm thinking about
gazpacho, hummus and tzatziki today. Bought some pita since I doubt I
will feel like making them today. Maybe I will search the freezer and
see if I still have some there.

The NY Times has a great way of using cherries in a caramelized tarte.
....and 25 other ways to use tomatoes, too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/17/dining/171arex.html

Last week we had gazpacho and I take a little salad of the cherries,
cukes and cottage cheese every day for lunch now. If I want to fancy
that up, I add a dollop of sour cream and a bit of onion. By the time
I get tired of it, the season is over.

Boron

Old 25-08-2011, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

There seems to be some misconception that modern hybrids were bred
solely for looks and shelf life, this is of course true for some
hybrids, used by commercial growers. But the other side of the coin is
that another group of hybrids have been bred solely for taste for the
home gardener, that are far superior in taste to any heirlooms. The
hybrids took over pretty quickly when introduced was no accident, they
are better in every way, but you have to pay for the seeds every year.

Old 25-08-2011, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"fsadfa" wrote in message

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

There seems to be some misconception that modern hybrids were bred
solely for looks and shelf life, this is of course true for some
hybrids, used by commercial growers. But the other side of the coin is
that another group of hybrids have been bred solely for taste for the
home gardener, that are far superior in taste to any heirlooms.

Names please, I know of none that are superior in flavor to my heirlooms.

Old 25-08-2011, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

fsadfa wrote:

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

May be, but when taste tests are done, "Brandywine" almost always wins.
At the risk of starting another battle, "heirloom" implies "open
pollinated," but the reverse depends on your definition of "heirloom."

Old 26-08-2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:04:10 -0700 (PDT), fsadfa
wrote:

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

There seems to be some misconception that modern hybrids were bred
solely for looks and shelf life, this is of course true for some
hybrids, used by commercial growers. But the other side of the coin is
that another group of hybrids have been bred solely for taste for the
home gardener, that are far superior in taste to any heirlooms. The
hybrids took over pretty quickly when introduced was no accident, they
are better in every way, but you have to pay for the seeds every year.

I do not think you understood at all what I posted.

I don't care what variety the tomato I grew was - whether heirloom or
hybrid - I just want it identified.

I have not praised hybrids or heirlooms over each other, and place my
interest in flavor above all. It does me no good if a tomato
withstands all blights and predation only to produce cardboard fruit.
Similarly, I get no benefit from a potentially delicious fruit that
never gets to ripen on the vine.

Although I am an inveterate seed saver and known to toss any sort of
kitchen seed or pit into the dirt in an attempt to coax germination, I
am also savvy enough to buy cheap seeds when the opportunity presents
itself. Really, it isn't that large a part of my gardening budget that
it concerns me in the least.

I have a date palm growing...the pit came from a piece of fruit was
on a breakfast plate at a hotel in Las Vegas last spring. That's my
kind of fun.

Boron
Old 26-08-2011, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

How nice for you.

I presume that your unidentified "heirloom" tomato is still in
production, it being only the 25th of Aug., and still full summer here
in the northern hemisphere. I realize that a person of your experience
doesn't require assistance, so just let me answer this question for
others who may encounter this problem, but who don't have your wealth of
knowledge. I have suggestions as to what you can do with your tomatoes.
The most productive one would be to take a tomato and a leaf to a local
nursery to try and match it, or as Susan "The Cook" would suggest, your
local ag. extension office.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

No anecdotes required.

OK, at ease. If you got 'em, plant 'em.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it's not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That's hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don't get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 26-08-2011, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:26:05 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:04:10 -0700 (PDT), fsadfa

I don't care what variety the tomato I grew was - whether heirloom or
hybrid - I just want it identified.

How nice for you.

Likewise, I am sure.

I presume that your unidentified "heirloom" tomato is still in
production, it being only the 25th of Aug., and still full summer here
in the northern hemisphere.

The heirloom is spent and has been for almost 2 weeks. Late blight got
to it early, actually, and it spread from that to other plants near
by, taking out several others, but I have another patch of different
varieties far from it.

Northern NJ here. Great summer for tomatoes.. Never had so many
tomatoes so early in the season. Most grown from seed sewn directly in
the soil. I have great luck with that. The "heirloom" and Mortgage
Lifter were purchased as plants, though.

Go on with your exposition, I am sure someone is listening.

Boron

On the topic of Dynamic Lifter ... (WAS Joyce, barny, weak as dynamic lifter but smelly!) Guru Meditation #17353205736387509676465633 Australia 1 25-09-2005 04:50 AM
Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes Anonymous Edible Gardening 8 15-02-2004 04:56 PM
Mortgage Lifter Bill Edible Gardening 11 27-07-2003 10:42 PM
Tomato "Mortgage Lifter Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 17-04-2003 01:44 AM
Looking for Red Mortgage Lifter Bill Edible Gardening 6 26-01-2003 02:30 AM