Old 24-08-2011, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mortgage Lifter

So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew
very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of
fruit.

The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look
fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries,
but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no
depth of flavor whatsoever.

I have only two full size varieties growing this year (many cherry,
pear, patios, etc, as they bear and ripen earlier here), the MLs and
some identified only as "heirloom tomato" on the labeling, that latter
having been bought as a lark from a reduced rack at the local grocery
store.

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

It's fun gardening.

Boron
Old 24-08-2011, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:31:39 -0500, Derald wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:

It's fun gardening.

Yep. Where is "here"?

Northern NJ.
Old 24-08-2011, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Boron Elgar wrote:

So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew
very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of
fruit.

The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look
fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries,
but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no
depth of flavor whatsoever.

aw!

thanks for saying. we've always been happy
with the beefsteaks. the past few years we
added the sweet 100s cherry tomatoes and they
are very good. two plants take up about 60sq
ft and keep producing so many we have plenty
to give away. i'd rather give away a half a
pint of cherry tomatoes instead of a three
pound beefsteak.

I have only two full size varieties growing this year (many cherry,
pear, patios, etc, as they bear and ripen earlier here), the MLs and
some identified only as "heirloom tomato" on the labeling, that latter
having been bought as a lark from a reduced rack at the local grocery
store.

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

the seeds should be reusable.

It's fun gardening.

sure is, i have been working on thinning out
the strawberries and planting the runners in a spare
spot. five gallon bucket packed full. i have another
two sides to finish yet. they will go in another
place to fill in that garden.

songbird
Old 24-08-2011, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mortgage Lifter was bred to be pretty and not bruise easily anything else
was of no consequence. I grew some Rutgers this year because of a childhood
memory. They were comparable to your experience with the ML. If your
heirloom was really good save the seeds. I have several that I save each
year. Their flavor is far superior to "modern" tomatoes, unfortunately their
disease resistance is not.

Old 24-08-2011, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:28:35 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

[...]

For the last several years I have been trying lots of different
tomatoes and I have decided that next year I am only going to plant
Viva Italia, Better Boy, Early Girl and Jelly Bean. I am also going
to plant a second crop of Viva Italia and Better Boy since I seem to
have so much trouble with various and sundry blights and bugs.

A couple of days ago I found out what was eating my cantaloupe -- a
turtle.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Old 24-08-2011, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

I cannot say that I have any consistency from year to year. The
weather seems to have such a great affect of what thrives and doesn't
- at least with the veggies, that I find some of it a crap shoot.

Oh, that doesn't stop me, of course, nothing will, but I would love to
find a tomato that gives me what I want year after year. I have a
chance at it with the volunteers that start growing in mid August in a
shady patch of impatiens each year. I just let'em do their thing -
which must be good as I have 7 plants growing there right now. I
should try to save some seed from them and put them in the sun next
year as they are like the Molly Brown of tomatoes (cherries).

A couple of days ago I found out what was eating my cantaloupe -- a
turtle.

Oh, now THAT is a great garden story.

Boron

Old 24-08-2011, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

Did you reduce watering when the fruit started to set? Over watering can
reduce flavor.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it's not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That's hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don't get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 25-08-2011, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

Really? You must have that Harry Potter wand and magic word that turns
plants back into seeds .... "Reverso tomaticus!"

Old 25-08-2011, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

I planted Burpee Early (Don’t think they are Early girls) anyway, they
finally ripened and they are very good.
A nice tomato punch to the taste.
I'm still waiting for the Better Boys to Ripen, some of those suffered
blossom end rot.

The cherry 100's are plenty as usual.

Cheers

Old 25-08-2011, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

songbird wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has
produced fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown
tomato with indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

the seeds should be reusable.

Really? You must have that Harry Potter wand and magic word that turns
plants back into seeds .... "Reverso tomaticus!"

I think maybe "resuable" wasn't quite the word. But if the plant really
is an heirloom tomato then the seeds can be planted and the fruit should
be true to the parent plant.

That's the beauty of heirloom produce, you can save the seeds and plant
them instead of buying seeds.

marcella

Old 25-08-2011, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:58:59 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

I have been growing tomatoes for over a quarter of a century and have
the methodology down pat. On the contrary...these fruits were
underweight for their size. Were this reduction in flavor true to
form, of course, I'd notice a comparable reduction in all varieties
that I grew.

I surely cannot control the weather, but I've other tomatoes in the
same bed as the ML and they are fine. Last year all the tomatoes in
that bed were sweeter, but alas, they were all volunteers from the
compost. They were my clue indicating that particular flower bed
should be converted to a tomato patch.

Boron

Old 25-08-2011, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:59:36 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:

So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew
very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of
fruit.

The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look
fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries,
but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no
depth of flavor whatsoever.

aw!

thanks for saying. we've always been happy
with the beefsteaks. the past few years we
added the sweet 100s cherry tomatoes and they
are very good. two plants take up about 60sq
ft and keep producing so many we have plenty
to give away. i'd rather give away a half a
pint of cherry tomatoes instead of a three
pound beefsteak.

I like the sweet 100s. Their only flaw is a tendancy to split after a
heavy rain...much more so than any of the other cherries or small
tomatoes I have going this year.

Yes...the cherries get given away, but those perfect full size
tomatoes are guarded like treasure.

I have only two full size varieties growing this year (many cherry,
pear, patios, etc, as they bear and ripen earlier here), the MLs and
some identified only as "heirloom tomato" on the labeling, that latter
having been bought as a lark from a reduced rack at the local grocery
store.

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

the seeds should be reusable.

And some have been saved. They are drying on paper towel.

It's fun gardening.

sure is, i have been working on thinning out
the strawberries and planting the runners in a spare
spot. five gallon bucket packed full. i have another
two sides to finish yet. they will go in another
place to fill in that garden.

I grow strawberries for show, I swear...with what the critters leave
me, it is an exercise in futility.

Boron
Old 25-08-2011, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:47:46 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

songbird wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

I like that. There is money to be made with that wand.

Boron
Old 25-08-2011, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Really? You must have that Harry Potter wand and magic word that turns
plants back into seeds .... "Reverso tomaticus!"

very funny, but you know what i
mean jellybean.

songbird
Old 25-08-2011, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
For the last several years I have been trying lots of different
tomatoes and I have decided that next year I am only going to plant
Viva Italia, Better Boy, Early Girl and Jelly Bean. I am also going
to plant a second crop of Viva Italia and Better Boy since I seem to
have so much trouble with various and sundry blights and bugs.

a second crop in a different location or?

A couple of days ago I found out what was eating my cantaloupe -- a
turtle.

haha! the race goes to the turtle.
did you catch it in the act?

songbird

On the topic of Dynamic Lifter ... (WAS Joyce, barny, weak as dynamic lifter but smelly!) Guru Meditation #17353205736387509676465633 Australia 1 25-09-2005 05:50 AM
Mortgage Lifter Tomatoes Anonymous Edible Gardening 8 15-02-2004 05:56 PM
Mortgage Lifter Bill Edible Gardening 11 27-07-2003 11:42 PM
Tomato "Mortgage Lifter Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 17-04-2003 02:44 AM
Looking for Red Mortgage Lifter Bill Edible Gardening 6 26-01-2003 03:30 AM