Old 26-08-2011, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default First Red Tomato

My first red tomatoes are Juliets. The Stupices, and the Early Girls are
still green. Temps have been in the low 80s F during the day, and around
50 F at night. The Juliets are one hanging above the other. At first, it
looked like one large banana shaped tomato, before I realized it was 2
tomatoes.
Silly bunt.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis

Old 26-08-2011, 08:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
My first red tomatoes are Juliets. The Stupices, and the Early Girls
are still green. Temps have been in the low 80s F during the day, and
around 50 F at night. The Juliets are one hanging above the other. At
first, it looked like one large banana shaped tomato, before I
realized it was 2 tomatoes.
Silly bunt.

Get your glasses fixed and then you will be able to see the bolour
television.

Old 26-08-2011, 10:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad Nad is offline

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Billy wrote:
My first red tomatoes are Juliets. The Stupices, and the Early Girls
are still green. Temps have been in the low 80s F during the day, and
around 50 F at night. The Juliets are one hanging above the other. At
first, it looked like one large banana shaped tomato, before I
realized it was 2 tomatoes.
Silly bunt.

Get your glasses fixed and then you will be able to see the bolour television.

What is "bolour television"?

A strong storm with high winds damaged several of my tomato plants a few
days ago. The heavy loaded plants fell over with the trellises. I think I
will leave them on the ground hoping the main trunk did not break or get
damaged too much or did not up root that much. They are just turning red.

--
Nad
Old 26-08-2011, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_bunt

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/travagent.php

Old 26-08-2011, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 25, 9:33*pm, Billy wrote:
[...]

How long is your season? My early girls produced their first around
the end of June.
Old 26-08-2011, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Frank wrote:

On Aug 25, 9:33*pm, Billy wrote:
[...]

Tomato season typically begins here around the end of July. I can get in
the ground by mid-April, usually by the 1st of May, but the soil doesn't
get to 60F until around the beginning of June. Tomato season has just
begun in Sonoma County. We've had a cool summer. We've only reached 90F
once and that was on the third of July (93 F). Good weather can keep
vines in warmer areas, like Alexander Valley, producing until Nov., but
I'm on the north side of a hill, and the loss of sunlight pretty much
shuts the garden down by the beginning of Oct. The Sun skims the hill,
below the tree line (trees block the sunlight) from mid-November to
February. Kale, beets, parsnips, parsley will over winter, but they
won't grow.

Old 26-08-2011, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
My first red tomatoes are Juliets. The Stupices, and the Early Girls
are still green. Temps have been in the low 80s F during the day, and
around 50 F at night. The Juliets are one hanging above the other. At
first, it looked like one large banana shaped tomato, before I
realized it was 2 tomatoes.
Silly bunt.

Get your glasses fixed and then you will be able to see the bolour
television.

'E said, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Old 26-08-2011, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/26/2011 1:34 PM, Billy wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

On Aug 25, 9:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Our first frost free day is May 15 but you can plant two
weeks earlier but ground is not warm enough to do much. We end in
October and first frost might be as early as the 15th of Oct. Most aim
for first red tomato by the fourth of July. Unusual to get mine as
early as I did but we've had a very hot summer.

We're a small state and climate only varies a little but I know
California's can be all over the map. One year around labor day when we
were in Orange County it was 105 degrees and a week later in Yosemite
the Donner Pass was snowed in and we could not drive through it.

Old 27-08-2011, 05:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On Aug 25, 9:33 pm, wrote:
[...]

Desert to rain forests, oceans to mountains, there's a little bit of
everything. Some people love the desert, but I'm more of a forest/river
kind of guy.

Old 27-08-2011, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad Nad is offline

Billy wrote:

Desert to rain forests, oceans to mountains, there's a little bit of
everything. Some people love the desert, but I'm more of a forest/river
kind of guy.

Then you will love Michigan... Lots of lakes, rivers and forest... Do you
like snow?
I sorta thought you were the suburb home type.

--
Nad
Old 27-08-2011, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Frank wrote:

On Aug 25, 9:33*pm, Billy wrote:
My first red tomatoes are Juliets. The Stupices, and the Early Girls are
still green.

-snip-

How long is your season? My early girls produced their first around
the end of June.

I've never been able to figure that out. I planted Beefsteak, a
bunch of cherry tomatoes, a Polish Linguisa, and Shumway's "Early
Bird".

The Cherry tomatoes came in first-- [except for some sweet 100s and
some currant tomatoes which still aren't ripening], followed by the
Beefsteak, then the polish Linguisa. The 'Early' plants are
surrounded by ripe tomatoes- but they show no signs of ever getting
ripe. One fell off the vine & I wondered if it was ripe, but still
green. Nope- hard as a rock.

All of those plants were treated exactly the same from seeds- to when
and how they went into the garden. Seems like about 1/2 the time
my 'Early-whatevers' are the last to ripen.

I'm in Zone 5- The garden is at the base of an east facing tree
covered slope-- so the sun 'sets' an hour or two early.

When I planted corn I always planted 3 varieties- early-middle-late.
They never came in in that order- though I got good crops for the
raccoons from all 3 varieties.

Jim
Old 27-08-2011, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad wrote:

Billy wrote:

Desert to rain forests, oceans to mountains, there's a little bit of
everything. Some people love the desert, but I'm more of a forest/river
kind of guy.

Then you will love Michigan... Lots of lakes, rivers and forest... Do you
like snow?
I sorta thought you were the suburb home type.

That's where I escaped from in the 60's.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it’s not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That’s hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don’t get away with no taxation.