Old 26-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered User

Default ID Required - Red Berry Bush

Hi,

Can anyone identify the type of berries from the attached photgraphs. I need to know if the berries are poisonus or edible. The reason I ask is that if they are poisonous then I am going to remove the bush from the garden. Better safe than sorry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
ID Required - Red Berry Bush-red-berry-bush-1.jpg   ID Required - Red Berry Bush-red-berry-bush-2.jpg
Old 27-08-2011, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 16:27:35 +0000, scottbmckin
wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone identify the type of berries from the attached photgraphs. I
need to know if the berries are poisonus or edible. The reason I ask is
that if they are poisonous then I am going to remove the bush from the
garden. Better safe than sorry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

|Filename: Red Berry Bush 1.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14414|
|Filename: Red Berry Bush 2.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14415|

I am not the world's best at ID, and apologize if I am in error, but
I believe it is a cotoneaster. If so, then yes, the berries are mildly
poisonous.

Boron
Old 27-08-2011, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

scottbmckin said:

Hi,

Can anyone identify the type of berries from the attached photgraphs. I
need to know if the berries are poisonus or edible. The reason I ask is
that if they are poisonous then I am going to remove the bush from the
garden. Better safe than sorry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I concur; Cotoneaster. The berries are usually described as toxic in "large
amounts" leading to gastroenteritis. It's a valuable nectar plant, though,
because of the timing and abundance of flowers.

Here is one of the more nuanced descriptions of Cotoneaster on a
list of "poisonous plants" (from a source in NZ):

"Cotoneasters (Cotoneaster species). The pretty red berries, which nearly
all species have, seem to be mildly poisonous, but have never caused
serious harm. Because they are so abundant in gardens and public places,
children may often eat a few berries without parents being aware."

I've never heard of any poisonings by Cotoneaster, and it is a widely
planted ornamental. There are far more dangerous plants often found
in gardens and plants that show up on these sort of lists that really don't
belong.

One of the lists which decribed Cotoneaster berries as toxic in "large
quantities" also included Poinsettia with no disclaimers, even though
"poisonous Poinsettias" is an Urban Myth-- a small child might be hurt
if s/he grazed on a whole store's worth of plants...and how likely is that?

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 30-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kiewicz[_2_] View Post
a small child might be hurt
if s/he grazed on a whole store's worth of plants...and how likely is that
Very unlikely, as the berries aren't tasty.

The plant is specifically Cotoneaster horizontalis, a very common garden plant, often arriving of its own accord, presumably a gift of the birds.