Old 31-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered User

Default ID My Apples Tree No.3

Can anyone give me the name for this apple tree and apples please.

Cooking or eating?
Attached Thumbnails
ID My Apples Tree No.3-tree03.jpg
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnuk View Post
Can anyone give me the name for this apple tree and apples please.

Cooking or eating?
None of them quite look like a Bramley, which must comprise about 99% of the cookers grown in Britain. Bramley tends to have a rather deep flower-end to the apple, and a sticky surface. But there is a simple test for a cooker, taste them when they seem to be ready to pick, and if they are uneatably acid, then they are cookers.

Very difficult to identify apples to variety positively. Best to take some, leaf and fruit, to one of the Apple Day events that has an identification expert. Unfortunately this website, which previously listed all the apple days around the country, is still showing the 2010 list. Apple Day Events
Old 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , echinosum.8d54eb6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

bigjohnuk;934883 Wrote:
Can anyone give me the name for this apple tree and apples please.

Cooking or eating?

None of them quite look like a Bramley, which must comprise about 99% of
the cookers grown in Britain. Bramley tends to have a rather deep
flower-end to the apple, and a sticky surface. But there is a simple
test for a cooker, taste them when they seem to be ready to pick, and if
they are uneatably acid, then they are cookers.

FWIW

Pie Apples/Cooking Apples (usu. Northern Spy when I was a kid) were tart
but not acid and had solid, crisp flesh. Crab apples were sour,
sometimes running to bitter, but not acid.

I don't think I've ever experienced an apple that I would call acidic.
-- Acidic IME belongs to citrus or pineapple and the like.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Registered User

Cheers for the reply. Still at lost with them.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

bigjohnuk;934883 Wrote:
Can anyone give me the name for this apple tree and apples please.

Cooking or eating?

None of them quite look like a Bramley, which must comprise about 99% of
the cookers grown in Britain. Bramley tends to have a rather deep
flower-end to the apple, and a sticky surface. But there is a simple
test for a cooker, taste them when they seem to be ready to pick, and if
they are uneatably acid, then they are cookers.

FWIW

Pie Apples/Cooking Apples (usu. Northern Spy when I was a kid) were tart
but not acid and had solid, crisp flesh. Crab apples were sour,
sometimes running to bitter, but not acid.

I don't think I've ever experienced an apple that I would call acidic.
-- Acidic IME belongs to citrus or pineapple and the like.

Sound like one of the English cider apples. I don't believe anyone other
than a very experienced apple collector could possibly ID an apple other
that the common varieties. 200 years ago there were thousands of different
apples, every seed that sprouts potentially a different apple. They don't
come true to seed!