Old 07-09-2011, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Big garden fail again.

DogDiesel wrote:
"Derald" wrote in message

"DogDiesel" wrote:

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Pull them early and pull them often. The seedlings are easy to spot.
This is some else's photo of some "improved" variety but seedlings
of the noxious
natives look very similar:
http://aardvarque.com/2006/11/27/DSCN2032.JPG/view
--
Derald
FL USDA zone 9a

They even took over my mulch bin. I cant see it.

If you just let them go, I guess you will have a problem.

But a scrap tomato plant is growing there , I threw in there last
year. and the tomatoes are awesome.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

phorbin wrote:

Do you mean ipomoea, calystegia or convolvulus arvensis, or a
combination of all three? (morning glory, false bindweed, field
bindweed)(know your enemy))

We have all three but we -like- morning glories.

It seems to me that you put too fine a point on it: All are
Convolvulaceae.
The differences among them are purely academic. All have the same
invasive
growth habit. I don't believe most people can or do distinguish among
them. I
can't speak for anyone else but I certainly make no distinction when
pulling the
seedlings. Many (if not most), including some morning glories, are
classified as
invasive noxious weeds by USDA and among the states and for good reason.
Some of
us do not "like" morning glories.

Maybe so, but arvensis, is a tough persistent perennial and the worst of
the lot in our zone 5 climate. It's the weed we work hardest on.

I figure that if you don't know the enemy you wind up in one kind of
trouble or another either working too hard or not hard enough.

I've got four different colors , now that I got this reference. white
bindweed , the dwarf tri color one. a purple one . pinkish one,

Diesel.

I found an orange one at a friends place yesterday. The blossom is smaller
but bright orange. I was tempted to look for seed but the leaves and vining
habit warned me away. Isn't sweet potato in the same family?
Steve

Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 6, 9:04*pm, Derald wrote:
"Steve Peek" wrote:
Isn't sweet potato in the same family?

* * * * Yes, all of the plants under discussion are in the same family, the
Convolvulaceae. Sweet potato is an ipomoea. A morning glory. Sweet potato
blossoms are big and showy sort of purpley magenta like some morning glories. I
don't know how far north they grow.
--
Derald
FL USDA zone 9ahttp://www.onlineconversion.com/

North to the 48th parallel I can attest to. My wide got some to grow
for the first time on her arbor this year.

Convolvulaceae, the vines of the serpent. AKA ololiuqui, a
hallucinogenic. Its reportedly the shaman's LSD used to consult with
the Oracle or the devil depending on who you consult.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Derald" wrote in message
m...

"Steve Peek" wrote:

Isn't sweet potato in the same family?

Yes, all of the plants under discussion are in the same family, the
Convolvulaceae. Sweet potato is an ipomoea. A morning glory. Sweet potato
blossoms are big and showy sort of purpley magenta like some morning
glories. I
don't know how far north they grow.
--
Derald
FL USDA zone 9a
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

I grow sweet potatoes here in WNC. Last year's giant was almost 9 pounds,
not large as sweet potatoes go, but a respectable one for the mountains.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Derald" wrote in message
m...

"Steve Peek" wrote:

I grow sweet potatoes here in WNC. Last year's giant was almost 9 pounds,
not large as sweet potatoes go, but a respectable one for the mountains.

Nine pounds seems respectable for anyplace, in my book. I quit trying to
grow sweet potatoes down here because they fall prey to too many boring
insects
and to earwigs. I guess if I started them early enough I might have some
chance
of getting a few before the onslaught. I know folks in GA, SC, and eastern
VA
that do well with sweet potatoes.
WNC? Where are you relative to, say Spruce Pine, Johnson City, Burnsville,
etc.?
--
Derald
FL USDA zone 9a
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Just a bit southwest, closer to Asheville actually.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:
Just a bit southwest, closer to Asheville actually.

i lived in Asheville for a few weeks and ended up
renting a place just over the hills near Elizabethton,
TN. visited Asheville a few times and always enjoyed
my times there.

songbird
Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message
Steve Peek wrote:
Just a bit southwest, closer to Asheville actually.

i lived in Asheville for a few weeks and ended up
renting a place just over the hills near Elizabethton,
TN. visited Asheville a few times and always enjoyed
my times there.

songbird

Asheville is unusual, a liberal boat in a sea of conservatism.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TMD TMD is offline

On Sep 5, 10:23*pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

green beans *survived. *on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Diesel.

Wow, you're having better luck than I am. I have a single misshapen
cucumber.

Old 13-09-2011, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 5, 10:23*pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

green beans *survived. *on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Diesel.

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topic
is general gardening

Old 13-09-2011, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 5, 7:23*pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

green beans *survived. *on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Diese

Sorry to have posted on here I have no clue as to what can help. this
is my college home work to relpy to your post...sorry again
Old 13-09-2011, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

wrote:
On Sep 5, 10:23 pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

green beans survived. on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Diesel.

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topic
is general gardening

Morning glory is a plant, so dealing with unwanted ones is on topic.
Perhaps you were thinking of when you (or the one next to you) wakes up with
an erection. Roundup is no use but you could try a weed-wacka.

David

Some how I can't imagine morning glories taking over a garden that is
looked over. Do you go away for long periods? I'm not being critical.
I'm just trying to understand the problem.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis