Old 13-09-2011, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Big garden fail again.

Derald wrote:

I find "rec.gardens.edible" to be rather specific appellation. Seems to me
that controlling morning glories in a -vegetable- garden quite satisfies that
specificity.

In the part snipped the morning glories took over and strangled the
edible plants. It's possible for a garden to hold both types.

I recently read that sweet potatoes are broadly classed as morning
glories. I was barely aware they weren't in the nightshade family
before that.
Old 13-09-2011, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

Derald wrote:

I find "rec.gardens.edible" to be rather specific appellation. Seems to me
that controlling morning glories in a -vegetable- garden quite satisfies
that
specificity.

In the part snipped the morning glories took over and strangled the
edible plants. It's possible for a garden to hold both types.

I recently read that sweet potatoes are broadly classed as morning
glories. I was barely aware they weren't in the nightshade family
before that.

Guess you know that sweet potatoes leaves can be used like spinach.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.wordnik.com/

Old 13-09-2011, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Derald wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:

Guess you know that sweet potatoes leaves can be used like spinach.

Never heard that. I gave up growing sweet potatoes long ago because of
their vulnerability to insect pests: Down here, borers and earwigs eat the
tubers while grasshoppers eat the leaves, LOL! If the price keeps going up (I
can't believe I typed "if..."), I may try them again but in containers. The
grasshoppers don't know it yet but a surprise awaits them next season:
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/semaspore-grasshopper-bait.html.

Look at.

http://goo.gl/ch6BO

All sorts of recipes. Enjoy.

Old 13-09-2011, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bill who putters wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:

I recently read that sweet potatoes are broadly classed as morning
glories. I was barely aware they weren't in the nightshade family
before that.

Guess you know that sweet potatoes leaves can be used like spinach.

I do now. Back when I thought that sweet potatoes were potatoes and
thus nightshades I never would have imagined it. The leaves of
nightshade family plants are so varied I would have no idea and no
specific reason to look up the botany article on sweet potatoes.

Huh, so morning glories taking over the garden does still count as all
in the edible topic. I don't recall ever tasting the leaves of a
morning glory flower.
Old 14-09-2011, 09:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
On Sep 5, 10:23 pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

green beans survived. on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Diesel.

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topic
is general gardening

The topic is big garden fail , you retard.

Old 16-09-2011, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

wrote:
On Sep 5, 10:23 pm, "DogDiesel" wrote:
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

green beans survived. on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Diesel.

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the
topic is general gardening

Morning glory is a plant, so dealing with unwanted ones is on topic.
Perhaps you were thinking of when you (or the one next to you) wakes
up with an erection. Roundup is no use but you could try a
weed-wacka.

David

Some how I can't imagine morning glories taking over a garden that is
looked over. Do you go away for long periods? I'm not being critical.
I'm just trying to understand the problem.

As Diesel said you got to get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Uh huh.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis