Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Big garden fail again.

So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

green beans survived. on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Diesel.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

green beans survived. on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Diesel.

1) Cut them or pull them out regularly

2) Apply glyphosate

3) Both

Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:

So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

eek!

green beans survived. on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

yay!

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

are these the kind that are an annual
as seeds and have come back each year
since then or are these a wild variety
perennial variety or ?

songbird
Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:
So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

green beans survived. on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

If they are coming from a neighbors yard, using a sharp spade to root cut at the
property line would probably help. Even better would be a root barrier.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message
DogDiesel wrote:

So, my tomatoes did good. But morning glories took over again.

And killed the corn.

eek!

green beans survived. on a fence.

eggplant excellent.

peppers excellent

no bug issues.

yay!

I've got worms and toads back in play.

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

are these the kind that are an annual
as seeds and have come back each year
since then or are these a wild variety
perennial variety or ?

songbird

They come back every year for about 20 years now. I got them from horse
manure from horses eating in open fields.,

They're purple and white flowers.

I guess wild.

I weed sprayed them numerous times up to about 5 or six years ago.

I've mowed there and let grass grow for years.

They never went away.

Soon as I start gardening, they come back with a vengeance.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Derald" wrote in message

"DogDiesel" wrote:

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Pull them early and pull them often. The seedlings are easy to spot. This
is some else's photo of some "improved" variety but seedlings of the
noxious
natives look very similar:
http://aardvarque.com/2006/11/27/DSCN2032.JPG/view
--
Derald
FL USDA zone 9a

They even took over my mulch bin. I cant see it.

But a scrap tomato plant is growing there , I threw in there last year. and
the tomatoes are awesome.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 03:31:46 -0400, "DogDiesel"
wrote:

"Derald" wrote in message

"DogDiesel" wrote:

But I cant get a grip on these F-ing morning glories.

Suggestions.

Pull them early and pull them often. The seedlings are easy to spot. This
is some else's photo of some "improved" variety but seedlings of the
noxious
natives look very similar:
http://aardvarque.com/2006/11/27/DSCN2032.JPG/view
--
Derald
FL USDA zone 9a
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

They even took over my mulch bin. I cant see it.

But a scrap tomato plant is growing there , I threw in there last year. and
the tomatoes are awesome.

You have to pull them up or spray them before they set seeds. The
earlier the better. Earlier is also easier to pull up. And never
turn them under.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"Derald" wrote in message

"DogDiesel" wrote:

[...]

Yes, well, they been turned under numerous times.

What really killed it this year is I got sick for three weeks and let
it go.

I could of done a better job.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

We have all three but we -like- morning glories.

Morning glories make great cut flowers. Drape a vine off a shelf and
it adds another dimension to your space. Very Japanese tea aesthetic.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.wordnik.com/

Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

They come back every year for about 20 years now. I got them from
horse
manure from horses eating in open fields.,

They're purple and white flowers.

I guess wild.

I weed sprayed them numerous times up to about 5 or six years ago.

I've mowed there and let grass grow for years.

They never went away.

Soon as I start gardening, they come back with a vengeance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolvulus

Bingo, I got four different color ones. The bind weed, the dwarf , and two
others .

Diesel.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

They come back every year for about 20 years now. I got them from
horse
manure from horses eating in open fields.,

They're purple and white flowers.

I guess wild.

I weed sprayed them numerous times up to about 5 or six years ago.

I've mowed there and let grass grow for years.

They never went away.

Soon as I start gardening, they come back with a vengeance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolvulus

Bingo, I got four different color ones. The bind weed, the dwarf ,
and two others .

I've found that a couple applications of roundup take care of them.