Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default "fearmongering" from the "liberal media"

A tip of the hat to chatnoir.

http://www.grist.org/industrial-agri...rweeds-go-main
stream

INDUSTRIAL AGRICULTURE

Superweeds go mainstream

I don't expect that Monsanto takes much notice when articles about
superweeds -- plants that have developed resistance to its flagship
RoundUp herbicide and its active ingredient glyphosate -- appear in
Grist, Scientific American, Mother Jones or even The New York Times.
That's nothing but typical "fearmongering" from the "liberal media"
and the biotech behemoth can laugh it off all the way to the bank.

But when the mainstream business press writes lead paragraphs like
this:

Justin Cariker grabs a 7-foot-tall Palmer pigweed at his farm, bending
the wrist-thick stem to reveal how it has overwhelmed the cotton plant
beneath it. This is no ordinary weed: Over time it has developed
resistance to Monsanto's best-selling herbicide, Roundup. Hundreds of
such "superweeds" are rising defiantly across this corner of the
Mississippi Delta. "We're not winning the battle," Cariker, owner of
Maud Farms in Dundee, Miss., says as he looks at weeds that tower over
his infested cotton field like spindly green scarecrows.

....as Bloomberg BusinessWeek did under the headline "Attack of the
Superweeds," I have to believe that Monsanto's top brass starts to
worry.

The language in the article is striking. Reporter Jack Kaskey tells
how "unrelenting" use of glyphosate has led to an "invasion" of
resistant weeds across the country. Of course, Monsanto has a plan --
and it involves engineering resistance to older (more dangerous
pesticides) into its seeds.

The article even quotes Chuck Benbrook, director of the Organic Center
and the type of sustainable agriculture spokesperson who doesn't often
get quoted in magazines like BusinessWeek. Benbrook says Monsanto's
strategy is "akin to putting gasoline on a fire to put it out... It's
a very high-risk gamble for the U.S. biotechnology and pesticide
industry to go down this road."

And missing in this account is the inevitable declaration that the
solution to the problem lies "just around the corner" in the form of
new technology and advanced seeds. In fact, one scientist in the
article points out that many of the herbicides biotech companies are
turning to in their search for a solution already have huge resistant
weed problems of their own. The bulk of these herbicides pre-date
glyphosate, so weeds have had decades to develop resistance. No easy
techno-fixes there!

Of course, it will take more than a good article in the business press
for sustainable ag to stake a real claim on our nation's future. But I
was struck by Kaskey's choice of a kicker. After describing his
efforts to battle superweeds the old-fashioned way (by industrial ag
standards, that is), with lots of tilling, dangerous chemicals and
manual labor, farmer Cariker declares:

"This can change the whole farming industry if we can't get a handle
on it."

It says a lot about these anthropomorphic superweeds that even the
business press has begun warning of their real and present danger. Next
thing you know, BusinessWeek might just tell us that the best solution
to this problem is agro-ecological farming. A guy can hope, can't he?
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default OT "fearmongering" from the "liberal media"

On Sep 11, 5:04*pm, phorbin wrote:
In article Wildbilly-CDC613.11091611092011@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

Justin Cariker grabs a 7-foot-tall Palmer pigweed at his farm, bending
the wrist-thick stem to reveal how it has overwhelmed the cotton plant
beneath it. This is no ordinary weed: Over time it has developed
resistance to Monsanto's best-selling herbicide, Roundup. Hundreds of
such "superweeds" are rising defiantly across this corner of the
Mississippi Delta. "We're not winning the battle," Cariker, owner of
Maud Farms in Dundee, Miss., says as he looks at weeds that tower over
his infested cotton field like spindly green scarecrows.

Good article.

...and I'll bet the cotton it's outgrowing is Monsanto engineered too.

The "fear mongering"comes not from the "liberal media" -- what little
is left -- but from the far, far, far Right corporate/evangelical
media, well-funded, well-controlled,
that understand how to influence the sheeple. THEY are the ones who
are scaring people to death about "terrorism" for just one thing. And
they are systematically fielding whore scientists to create doubt in
people's minds about global warming. Just as they (e.g. the Marshall
Institute) did the same thing with the ozone layer, acid rain, dangers
of tobacco, DDT, etc. Anything to keep on making money with no care
for the health of people or the environment.

HB
Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Sep 11, 9:07*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Sep 11, 5:04*pm, phorbin wrote:

Good article.

...and I'll bet the cotton it's outgrowing is Monsanto engineered too.

The "fear mongering"comes not from the "liberal media" -- what little
is left -- but from the far, far, far Right corporate/evangelical

Good article my ass.

so is it the left or the right or just a bunch of crazy old fart hobby
farmers with an agenda cherry picking off the fringe groups?

Pigweed huh?

such ignorant old fools!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

It is really hard to find liberal media these days. One major cable channel, and
one radio station in most markets.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In "Bob F" wrote:

It is really hard to find liberal media these days.

You don't have access to newspapers and news magazines in your neck of
the woods?

--
St. Paul, MN
Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On Sep 11, 11:09*am, Billy wrote:
A tip of the hat to chatnoir.

Ahh, so a bunch of late night drunks talking trash again?

Has it ever occurred to you to verify or fact check your sources of
information?

In addition to Glycines. Palmer Amaranth is also resistant to:
selected ALS-inhibiting herbicides.
acetolactate synthase inhibitor
imazethapyr and thifensulfuron.
dinitroaniline herbicides

Also according to weedscience.org there are ~ 365 unique herbicide
resistant biotypes. Palmer A. doesn’t even make the 10 worst weeds.
So to say Monsanto is responsible for creating a “Superweed” is pure
BS, somewhere along the lines of the Salem Witch trials and WMDs in
Iraq. Ya don’t even have to believe weedscience, try running a
search for Palmer Amaranth (Amaranthus palmeri) for yourself instead
of listening to some writer who got lucky enough to have their story
told and retold enough times to make a mainstream news mag and then
referenced for a late night fringe group.

http://www.weedscience.org/WorstWeeds.GIF

Might try saying its an important organic food foodstuff again and see
if the organic movement will buy it!

(usual political propaganda snipped)
Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bert wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:

It is really hard to find liberal media these days.

On radio I think the reasons are pretty simple.

For a while I kept liberal talk radio on one of the buttons on my car
raio and I cycled back and forth. On the conservative talk shows I
would push the button away from the show any time they got to personal
insults. Certain voices I learned to push the button away at the first
sound of their potty mouthed voices. The result was few shows that I
ever listened to but in many cases it took a while before I dropped
the show. In the end the number didn't hit zero. And it wasn't the
popular ones that remained. On the liberal talk shows I did the exact
same thing, push the button away from the show as soon as they got to
personal insults. Very rapidly there were no liberal talk shows on the
air that I would listen to during the hours of my commute.

Conclusion is some conservative talk shows try to stay with matters of
principle but only a few manage it, while all of the liberal talk
shows I heard proceeded directly to personal attacks. The only people
interested in personal attacks are the ones very biased to a specific
side in the first place. It's a bit cliche'. Liberal is supposed to be
about feeling; converative is supposed to be about thinking. The cliche
ended up working, somewhat, on my radio button settings.

For news I found some of the public radio ones fairly close to centric
others so left I don't have any trouble calling them commies or even
soviets. But that still leaves a number of nearly centrist news folks
on public radio. So far so good. The problem is the signal. In my
experience public radio stations and classical music stations broadcast
in very low power. I figure they have low budgets and can't afford high
electricity bills.

You don't have access to newspapers and news magazines in your neck of
the woods?

Exactly. The conservatives hold the radio the liberals hold the print.
Hold majorities, that is. No one has any exclusive hold on any of the
media.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Billy writes:

It says a lot about these anthropomorphic superweeds that even the
business press has begun warning of their real and present danger.

"Anthromorphic superweeds" what's that supposed to mean?

From what I'm reading, this Pigweed (Amaranthus palmeri),
is just like any other pigweed except that it's herbicide
resistant. There's nothing "super" about it.

Too bad for the farmers, they're back to paying someone to pull
this stuff by hand. Depending on how you look at it, that's either
good or bad. I suppose bad for the farmers and anyone that wants
inexpensive goods. Good for farm workers and anyone afraid of
Glycophosphate.

Interesting to read that Pigweed is edible and could be a crop.

--
Dan Espen
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

Bert wrote:
"Bob F" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, if my facetious remark about "fearmongering" from the "liberal
media" was taken seriously. Corporate news (which comprises 90% of the
media) is easy to find. They include corporations like G.E. which not
only makes weapon systems, but tell us how well the wars are going.
Other corporate media are loth to criticise corporate advertisers, and
try to stay away from criticizing the government for fear of
"blow-back", and appearing unpatriotic. The fact that they have
interlocking boards of directors help keep them on the same page (far to
the right).

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2003/04/47530_comment.php#48355
Who owns CNN? or MSNBC? ABC?
by systemfailure Wednesday, Apr. 09, 2003 at 1:43 AM

So ya think we have a "free press" eh? Check out who owns who, and who
owns what you think.......

GENERAL ELECTRIC --(donated 1.1 million to GW Bush for his 2000 election
campaign)

Television Holdings:
* NBC: includes 13 stations, 28% of US households.
* NBC Network News: The Today Show, Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, Meet
the Press, Dateline NBC, NBC News at Sunrise.
* CNBC business television; MSNBC 24-hour cable and Internet news
service (co-owned by NBC and Microsoft); Court TV (co-owned with Time
Warner), Bravo (50%), A&E (25%), History Channel (25%).
The "MS" in MSNBC
means microsoft
The same Microsoft that donated 2.4 million to get GW bush elected.

Other Holdings:
* GE Consumer Electronics.
* GE Power Systems: produces turbines for nuclear reactors and power
plants.
* GE Plastics: produces military hardware and nuclear power equipment.
* GE Transportation Systems: runs diesel and electric trains.

WESTINGHOUSE / CBS INC.
Westinghouse Electric Company, part of the Nuclear Utilities Business
Group of British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL)
whos #1 on the Board of Directors? None other than:
Frank Carlucci (of the Carlyle Group)

Television Holdings:
* CBS: includes 14 stations and over 200 affiliates in the US.
* CBS Network News: 60 minutes, 48 hours, CBS Evening News with Dan
Rather, CBS Morning News, Up to the Minute.
* Country Music Television, The Nashville Network, 2 regional sports
networks.
* Group W Satellite Communications.
Other Holdings:
* Westinghouse Electric Company: provides services to the nuclear power
industry.
* Westinghouse Government Environmental Services Company: disposes of
nuclear and hazardous wastes. Also operates 4 government-owned nuclear
power plants in the US.
* Energy Systems: provides nuclear power plant design and maintenance.

VIACOM INTERNATIONAL INC.
Television Holdings:
* Paramount Television, Spelling Television, MTV, VH-1, Showtime, The
Movie Channel, UPN (joint owner), Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, Sundance
Channel (joint owner), Flix.
* 20 major market US stations.
Media Holdings:
* Paramount Pictures, Paramount Home Video, Blockbuster Video, Famous
Players Theatres, Paramount Parks.
* Simon & Schuster Publishing.

DISNEY / ABC / CAP (donated 640 thousand to GW's 2000 campaign)
Television Holdings:
* ABC: includes 10 stations, 24% of US households.
* ABC Network News: Prime Time Live, Nightline, 20/20, Good Morning
America.
* ESPN, Lifetime Television (50%), as well as minority holdings in A&E,
History Channel and E!
* Disney Channel/Disney Television, Touchtone Television.
Media Holdings:
* Miramax, Touchtone Pictures.
* Magazines: Jane, Los Angeles Magazine, W, Discover.
* 3 music labels, 11 major local newspapers.
* Hyperion book publishers.
* Infoseek Internet search engine (43%).
Other Holdings:
* Sid R. Bass (major shares) crude oil and gas.
* All Disney Theme Parks, Walt Disney Cruise Lines.

TIME-WARNER TBS - AOL (donated 1.6 million to GW's 2000 campaign)
America Online (AOL) acquired Time Warner-the largest merger in
corporate history.
Television Holdings:
* CNN, HBO, Cinemax, TBS Superstation, Turner Network Television, Turner
Classic Movies, Warner Brothers Television, Cartoon Network, Sega
Channel, TNT, Comedy Central (50%), E! (49%), Court TV (50%).
* Largest owner of cable systems in the US with an estimated 13 million
subscribers.
Media Holdings:
* HBO Independent Productions, Warner Home Video, New Line Cinema,
Castle Rock, Looney Tunes, Hanna-Barbera.
* Music: Atlantic, Elektra, Rhino, Sire, Warner Bros. Records, EMI, WEA,
Sub Pop (distribution) = the world's largest music company.
* 33 magazines including Time, Sports Illustrated, People, In Style,
Fortune, Book of the Month Club, Entertainment Weekly, Life, DC Comics
(50%), and MAD Magazine.
Other Holdings:
* Sports: The Atlanta Braves, The Atlanta Hawks, World Championship
Wrestling.

NEWS CORPORATION LTD. / FOX NETWORKS (Rupert Murdoch) (donations see
bottom note)
Television Holdings:
* Fox Television: includes 22 stations, 50% of US households.
* Fox International: extensive worldwide cable and satellite networks
include British Sky Broadcasting (40%); VOX, Germany (49.9%); Canal Fox,
Latin America; FOXTEL, Australia (50%); STAR TV, Asia; IskyB, India;
Bahasa Programming Ltd., Indonesia (50%); and News Broadcasting, Japan
(80%).
* The Golf Channel (33%).
MEDIA HOLDINGS:
* Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight.
* 132 newspapers (113 in Australia alone) including the New York Post,
the London Times and The Australian.
* 25 magazines including TV Guide and The Weekly Standard.
* HarperCollins books.
OTHER HOLDINGS:
* Sports: LA Dodgers, LA Kings, LA Lakers, National Rugby League.
* Ansett Australia airlines, Ansett New Zealand airlines.
* Rupert Murdoch: Board of Directors, Philip Morris (USA).

*(Phillip Morris donated 2.9 million to George W Bush in 2000)*
-----

For old fashion responsible reporting, I like the McClatchy news service
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/
-----

Al-Jazeera (http://english.aljazeera.net/ ), which has aroused great
interest by being banned in Egypt due to its excellent coverage of the
uprising, is not itself carried by any American cable or satellite
company, but LINK TV (http://www.linktv.org/ ) has included regular
programming from Al-Jazeera and other foreign networks, and has recently
greatly increased the amount of news coverage it shows from Al-Jazeera.

Progressive news show Democracy Now! (http://www.democracynow.org/ )
remains the world's best news show, and of course includes great
coverage of the Egyptian uprising, including extra specials on the
subject. Democracy Now! is carried by LINK TV (http://www.linktv.org/ ),
Free Speech TV (http://www.freespeech.org/ ), and Pacifica Radio
(http://www.pacifica.org/ ), all of them worth checking out anyway.

Antiwar.com (http://antiwar.com/ ) has been providing its usual
essential coverage of these happenings as well as other important
issues, as well as opinion pieces from across the spectrum. Common
Dreams (http://www.commondreams.org/ ), The Raw Story
(http://www.rawstory.com/ ), and AlterNet News (http://www.alternet.org/
) provide info and commentary from a progressive viewpoint, as does
Information Clearing House (http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/ ).
Progressive Indian site Towards a Counter Movement
(http://www.countercurrents.org/index.htm) has also given the uprising a
good deal of coverage.

From a right-libertarian viewpoint, Strike The Root
(http://www.strike-the-root.com/ ) and Rational Review
(http://rationalreview.news-digests.com/todays-edition ) are worth
checking out.

For left-libertarian/anarchist news and viewpoints, see Infoshop News
(http://news.infoshop.org/ ), Anarkismo
(http://www.anarkismo.net/newswire.php ), Anarchist News
(http://anarchistnews.org/ ), A-Infos (http://www.ainfos.ca/en/ ), and
the Center for a Stateless Society (http://c4ss.org/ ).

Middle east scholar Juan Cole's blog Informed Comment
(http://www.juancole.com/ ) provides excellent info and commentary on
this and other mideast issues.

Finally, I will of course try to post the most interesting info and
commentary on my own Smygo list (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smygo ).

- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it's not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That's hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don't get away with no taxation.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In

Billy wrote:

They include corporations like G.E. which not
only makes weapon systems, but tell us how well the wars are going.

They also make toasters.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old 12-09-2011, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In

Billy wrote:

GENERAL ELECTRIC --(donated 1.1 million to GW Bush for his 2000
election campaign)

Historically, GE's political contributions have been pretty balanced,
since they like to play both sides of the street.

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/tota...&id=D000000125

And maybe you haven't noticed, but Bush isn't president any more (it was
in all the media, even the "liberal" sort).

GE's CEO Immelt chairs Obama’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Bert wrote:

In

Billy wrote:

GENERAL ELECTRIC --(donated 1.1 million to GW Bush for his 2000
election campaign)

Historically, GE's political contributions have been pretty balanced,
since they like to play both sides of the street.

How cute! You think there is a material difference between the Dems, and
the Reps. Truth is that we can have a whacked-out theocratic, or a token
liberal government, but ownership remains the same.

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/tota...&id=D000000125

And maybe you haven't noticed, but Bush isn't president any more (it was
in all the media, even the "liberal" sort).

GE's CEO Immelt chairs Obama’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.

Sounds like he is just the man. Since 2002, the company [G.E.] has
eliminated a fifth of its work force in the United States while
increasing overseas employment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/bu...tml?pagewanted
=1&_r=2
The company reported worldwide profits of $14.2 billion, and said $5.1
billion of the total came from its operations in the United States.
Its American tax bill? None. In fact, G.E. claimed a tax benefit of $3.2
billion.

If you want to continue this Bert, I suggest we take it over to mn.
politics, or alt.california, or tx.guns, where the posters aren't so
squeamish about someone getting stomped.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Bert wrote:
In "Bob F"
wrote:

It is really hard to find liberal media these days.

You don't have access to newspapers and news magazines in your neck of
the woods?

The major paper here certainly wouldn't qualify.

There used to be a joke, when we had to papers:

"Seattle is the only town where the "liberal" paper is the Hearst paper."

Old 12-09-2011, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bert wrote:
In

Billy wrote:

GENERAL ELECTRIC --(donated 1.1 million to GW Bush for his 2000
election campaign)

Historically, GE's political contributions have been pretty balanced,
since they like to play both sides of the street.

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/tota...&id=D000000125

And maybe you haven't noticed, but Bush isn't president any more (it
was in all the media, even the "liberal" sort).

GE's CEO Immelt chairs Obama’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness.

You say that like you think Obama is a liberal.

Fatass Liberal version of Miss California leads cops on 50 milechase in swimsuit contest [email protected] Gardening 2 20-05-2009 04:37 AM
John McCain, liar and liberal punk [email protected] Gardening 189 25-02-2008 07:47 PM
Liberal infighting 10x Ponds 0 24-09-2007 11:00 AM
Liberal Canuck MP Seeks Health Care In US C P Ponds 0 21-09-2007 11:46 AM
Need sources for "mounting" media like cork, fiber or wood Hal Tess Orchids 5 22-10-2003 02:23 PM