Old 13-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Essex, UK
Unhappy Basil being attacked by something

Hi,

I have grown basil from seed indoors. It grew fine, I harvested the first batch of leaves and then they continued to grow.

I have just woken up to find that some of the leaves have gone brown and the tops of the stalks have gone limp. On closer inspection a couple of small *(possibly black) flys flew off and there seem to be lots of little white eggs on the leaves.

At least, I think they are eggs - they might be some sort of larvae - I can't really tell. They are about 1mm in size and a creamy/white colour.

Can anyone advice what this could be? I have sprayed them with a homeade garlic solution that I use for my roses for now but any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks.

P.S. The basil is still indoors - it has never been outside but I did plant it in compost from outdoors.
__________________
Veni, vidi, vici.
Old 14-09-2011, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Basil being attacked by something

--
jacobsdad

I would say that you did the right thing by spraying it with something
organic that isn't going to cause harm to the plant while you’re
trying to treat bug problem.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_7332189_...il-plants.html

Here is a website that explains the problems you are having. I would
recommend taking wet towel and trying to wipe off the eggs from the
plants. I don't think that using soap on the towel would be a best
thing, since it might be harmful to the plant.

The flies might have been attracted to the plant if it's rotting
anyway from being over watered. Maybe you should try repotting it in
case the eggs were also laid in the dirt if it was really moist before
you noticed the infestation.
Old 14-09-2011, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
jacobsdad wrote:

[...]

Possibly Fusarium wilt. This basil wilt disease most commonly affects
sweet basil varieties, but other basil varieties are still somewhat
vulnerable.
Symptoms of fusarium wilt include:
€ stunted growth
€ wilted and yellowing leaves
€ brown spots or streaks on the stem
€ severely twisted stems
€ leaf drop
Fusarium wilt is caused by a fungus that can be carried by either the
soil that affected basil plants have been growing in or by seeds from
infected basil plants.

There is no remedy for fusarium wilt. Destroy infected plants and do not
reuse the soil.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it¹s not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That¹s hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don¹t get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis