Old 15-09-2011, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Flowering on trees with fruit

I would appreciate it if anybody can refer me to a reference on the topic of
whether leaving fruit on a tree alters the flowering and setting of new
fruit for the next season. I have excess citrus fruit from last summer (now
coming into spring) and I have been leaving it on the tree to store it.
Clearly the old fruit cannot stay there forever. Will the old fruit inhibit
new flowering and fruiting until it falls off or is taken off, or will the
new fruit coexist with the old for some period? Is this the same for all
citrus, all fruit, or is every case different?

David

Old 15-09-2011, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I would appreciate it if anybody can refer me to a reference on the
topic of whether leaving fruit on a tree alters the flowering and
setting of new fruit for the next season. I have excess citrus
fruit from last summer (now coming into spring) and I have been
leaving it on the tree to store it. Clearly the old fruit cannot
stay there forever. Will the old fruit inhibit new flowering and
fruiting until it falls off or is taken off, or will the new fruit
coexist with the old for some period? Is this the same for all
citrus, all fruit, or is every case different?

David

See questions 9 and 10 on page 4 of this document:
http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/datastore/391-272.pdf;

Thanks, that's a good reference.

see, also, the fifth paragraph in the section, "PRODUCTION, MATURITY
AND USE" in this document:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/oranges.htm.

The experts say, "Don't do it" but I've lived all of my life in
Florida, U.S.A., where -- on the peninsula, at least -- citrus is
ubiquitous. and holding citrus on homeowners' "dooryard" trees tree
is common practice. On the tree is the only way to store citrus and
exposure to winter chill makes the fruit sweeter, although, freezing
temperatures will cause much of it to fall. For the home grower, I
don't think the effect, if any, on subsequent cropping is
significant. More commonly, it seems to result in smaller fruit but
thinning the new crop might be corrective. Of course, the fruit will
eventually become overripe and fall and too little water will cause
it to become dry and "ricy". There is no general rule of thumb:
Tangerines and murcott start tasting old fairly quickly while most
oranges and grapefruit retain their flavor well.

I thought it would be a compromise.

David
Old 16-09-2011, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 14, 9:19*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
I would appreciate it if anybody can refer me to a reference on the topic of
whether leaving fruit on a tree alters the flowering and setting of new
fruit for the next season. *I have excess citrus fruit from last summer (now
coming into spring) and I have been leaving it on the tree to store it.
Clearly the old fruit cannot stay there forever. *Will the old fruit inhibit
new flowering and fruiting until it falls off or is taken off, or will the
new fruit coexist with the old for some period? *Is this the same for all
citrus, all fruit, or is every case different?

David

I don't know anyone who strips a citrus tree, except commercial
growers. Just leave the fruit on until you are ready for it.

I get enough fruit mummies falling off, along with ripe fruit, to know
that old fruit can stay on there, pretty much forever.

Susan B.
Old 16-09-2011, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

I thought it would be a compromise.

No doubt, it is, but the consequences are not likely to be drastic.
If you leave fruit on the tree, I don't believe you'll have a "Lordy,
what have I done" moment when the new crop sets. If you have several
specimens, you can always test and draw your own conclusions.
Remember, if you test, that you'll want to do so over several seasons
because many varieties don't bear consistently season over season.
They'll have heavy years followed by light years regardless of what
you do.

Curious:
What varieties do you have? How do you protect trees from cold, if
necessary?

I have about 50 fruit trees of different kinds. The citrus are oranges,
lemons, cumquats, mandarins, tangelos with different cultivars of each.
They ripened about 1 to 4 months ago and I have been working through them;
eating, freezing, marmalading etc. Right now I have a tangelo and cumquat
still bearing. I have a customer for the cumquats who wants them in a month
but not now.

Only the citrus are frost sensitive here. They all had black plastic
"nightshirts" through winter for their first 3 years. The last few years
they have been naked and done well. The only frost problem that I have with
them is late fruiting in autumn (or even winter) can be damaged, the
immature fruit die and fall off after heavy frost. Mature fruit don't. I
tried Tahitian limes and grapefruit but the cultivars I could get were too
frost tender and died. I have a kaffir lime in a tub that goes under
shelter in winter.

David

Old 16-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Registered User

Location: California
Post

You need to graft when fruit trees are dormant to avoid stressing the branches.The branch you are going to cut,should be should be flexible and have multiple buds of new growth.Bind grafted ends with a rubber band tightly enough
__________________
Fruit Trees

Old 17-09-2011, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

allen73 wrote:
You need to graft when 'fruit trees' (http://tinyurl.com/63o8j37) are
dormant to avoid stressing the branches.The branch you are going to
cut,should be should be flexible and have multiple buds of new
growth.Bind grafted ends with a rubber band tightly enough

What? This is a complete non sequitor. I didn't mention grafting nor
cutting nor hydroponics. If you want to spam for your site be more subtle.

David

Old 17-09-2011, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

What? This is a complete non sequitor.

Don't you just know ol' Allen's wondering why you're typing French? Or
_something_ "foreign".... LOL!

The English have been pillaging words from other languages for a very long
time, this phrase has been around in English for hundreds of years. I
should try to remember that it isn't going to be in the list of most texted
phrases this year despite being a handy abbreviation for its literal
meaning.

Old 17-09-2011, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Derald wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

What? This is a complete non sequitor.

Don't you just know ol' Allen's wondering why you're typing French? Or
_something_ "foreign".... LOL!

The English have been pillaging words from other languages for a very long
time, this phrase has been around in English for hundreds of years. I
should try to remember that it isn't going to be in the list of most texted
phrases this year despite being a handy abbreviation for its literal
meaning.

It might have something to do with the Roman invasion around 55 A.D.,
the Anglo-Saxon invasion in 700 A.D., and the French invasion in 1056
A.D. I'm afraid that American education, due to lack of funding,
especially in the South, has been inadequate in explaining world history.

Presently, in the U.S., "Non Sequitor" is only a comic strip, and no
further explanation is required.
http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 17-09-2011, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 16, 11:10*pm, Billy wrote:
. I'm afraid that American education, due to lack of funding,
especially in the South, has been inadequate in explaining world history.

Do you ever check your facts before you shoot your mouth off?

We all know your an American apologist Luddy, but you have to stop
pretending your opinion is some kind of fact or that this stupidity
somehow explains why no one speaks Latin any more.

Old 17-09-2011, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Gunner wrote:

On Sep 16, 11:10*pm, Billy wrote:
. I'm afraid that American education, due to lack of funding,
especially in the South, has been inadequate in explaining world history.

Do you ever check your facts before you shoot your mouth off?

No, gunny, I never do. I just do it to drive you crazier. It seems to be
working ;O)
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-new-york-scho
ols-spend-most-money-per-pupil/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug

Old 18-09-2011, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 17, 2:01*pm, Billy wrote:

On Sep 16, 11:10*pm, Billy wrote:
. I'm afraid that American education, due to lack of funding,
especially in the South, has been inadequate in explaining world history.

Do you ever check your facts before you shoot your mouth off?

No, gunny, I never do. I just do it to drive you crazier. It seems to be
working ;O)

Still a day late and a dollar short are ya? Catch up slick, actual
NEA research shows a much different:

Expenditures per Student: The U.S. average per
student expenditure for public elementary and
secondary schools in 2008–09 fall enrollment was
$10,190. States with the highest per student
expenditures: Rhode Island ($17,289), New Jersey
($16,253), New York ($15,997), Wyoming ($14,732),
and Vermont ($14,679). Utah ($5,912), Arizona
($5,932), Mississippi ($7,484), Nevada ($7,615), and
Idaho ($7,730) had the lowest per student
expenditures (H-11).

Rankings &Estimates
Rankings of the States 2009 and
Estimates of School Statistics 2010
NEA RESEARCH
DECEMBER 2010

dig a bit further and see CA ranked 46th in Public Education Rating
in 2003.

Stiil the point is you seem to relish denigrating Americans with your
Neoluddite and fringe political talk. It was not more than a few days
ago you AGAIN agreed that this is a gardening group, not one of your
~300+ political messages you post monthly.

We not going backwards. Your just standing still playing the Walter
Mitty character. Drives ya nuts doesn't it. Coulda, shoulda, woulda,
but ya didn't. Go preach somewhere else.
Old 28-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered User

This is good effort and increase the beauty of house or garden .
I really like this type of beauty and decoration. Beauty and gardening fresh me and my mind .