Old 18-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up Bilberry Bush from Seed

I have just finished my 1st amature year gardening & am trying to turn my very small gravel garden into an edible/herbal garden.

Im in the North East of England by the sea.

I have been given some Bilberry seeds but have no idea what to do.

When do I plant them?

How long do they take to grow?

Is there anything special I need to be doing or any advice?
Old 19-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphatono View Post
Is there anything special I need to be doing or any advice?
Yes, the seeds need cold stratification, probably for about 3 months. If you don't understand that, then research it. You'll also need to grow them in pots until well established, as they are easily disturbed in the ground when small plants. Then you'll need to plant out to very acid, very well drained soil: peat, gravel and not much else. My observation of bilberry plants in the wild is that a lot of them don't fruit, so you might need an acre or two to get much yield. They seem to grow well as understorey in low-density conifer forest, so the occasional pine or spruce might help.