Old 21-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Norwich
Smile Green Tomatoes

Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.
__________________
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!
Old 21-09-2011, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Green Tomatoes

Potman wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a
bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.

I have had the chutney overload too. Jam is good, green tomatoes make great
jam.

Old 21-09-2011, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Potman wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a
bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.

I have had the chutney overload too. Jam is good, green tomatoes make great
jam.

Just got a jar of Carrot jam from my daughter. Saving for the holidays
as it is Iranian.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.wordnik.com/

Old 21-09-2011, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

1 part green tomatoes
1 part onions
1 part ripe jalapenos
Chop fairly fine
bring to a boil 3 parts vinegar and 2 parts sugar, add about 1 tablespoon
per quart mustard seed. Add chopped vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes.
pack into sterile jars and seal while still very hot. Will easily keep for a
year (I'm eating some of last years now and it's still wonderful). There's
something about the heat, the sweet and the tart of the tomatoes that is
just delicious.
Steve

Old 23-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Peek View Post

Potman wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a
bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.

I have had the chutney overload too. Jam is good, green tomatoes make
great jam.

This hot recipe sounds right up my street thanks! I'm gonna make it I bet it's great on cheese on toast!
__________________
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!

Old 24-09-2011, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 21, 1:56*am, Potman wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a
bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.

--
Potman

Curious as to if these are actual green tomatoes or just immature
reds?

I was waiting to see if others would post more. Not to split hairs as
these are very loosely defined and you may consider some as one in the
same but Google for jams, chutneys, relishes,salsa, marmalade,
mincemeat. Try canning, freezing whole for later( this works well
for cherry toms also) and of course fried, especially in a BLT. Green
tomato pie as a dish and try batter fried topped with Mozz, ( or any
good melting cheese) baked( or broiled) until Cheese is melted and
topped a salsa verde, perhaps a romesco or any of the jams, chutneys,
relishes,salsa, marmalade mincemeat(?... maybe not so much) mentioned
above.

Steve's version sounds like a chow chow and pretty good For a
different direction, you might try a peperoncini or a wax, along w/
some fresh herbs, colored bells, garlic cloves and some spices like
dill or allspice in the agrodolce . A couple of scotch bonnets (SB)
or habs would add a bit of spiky heat for a Caribe flavor. To tame SB/
Hab heat, leave them whole and uncut in the pickling.

Old 26-09-2011, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 11:28:29 -0700 (PDT), Gunner
wrote:

On Sep 21, 1:56*am, Potman wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a
bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.

--
Potman

Curious as to if these are actual green tomatoes or just immature
reds?

I hope he meant immature tomatoes--- Just ran across this page this
morning- 5 recipes for
Green Tomato And Pimento Cheese Biscuits, Fried Green Tomatoes With
Shrimp Remoulade, Green Tomato Pickle, and Spaghetti With Green
Tomatoes; and some more in the comments-
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/30/140036...f-summer-bonus

The biscuit recipe inspired me to try chopping some up and adding them
to the vegan cheesey breadsticks I'm making later.

Jim
Old 27-09-2011, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

On Sep 21, 1:56 am, Potman wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've
got a bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much
chutney.

--
Potman

Curious as to if these are actual green tomatoes or just immature
reds?

I hope he meant immature tomatoes--- Just ran across this page this
morning- 5 recipes for
Green Tomato And Pimento Cheese Biscuits, Fried Green Tomatoes With
Shrimp Remoulade, Green Tomato Pickle, and Spaghetti With Green
Tomatoes; and some more in the comments-
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/30/140036...f-summer-bonus

The biscuit recipe inspired me to try chopping some up and adding them
to the vegan cheesey breadsticks I'm making later.

Jim

Tomatoes come in many colours but I haven't seen one that stayed green all
over when ripe. If anybody knows of such a cultivar say on.

David

Old 27-09-2011, 08:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/30/140036...of-summer-bonu

The biscuit recipe inspired me to try chopping some up and adding them
to the vegan cheesey breadsticks I'm making later.

Jim

Tomatoes come in many colours but I haven't seen one that stayed green all
over when ripe. If anybody knows of such a cultivar say on.

David

The Green Zebra comes close with dark and light green stripes, but
(IIRC) with age it picks up a little yellow in the stripes, or am I
thinking lemon cucumbers?. In any event the Green Zebra is green when
ripe. It was made famous, in part, becaue it was (is?) featured at Chez
Panisse (named after the old sail maker in Pagnol's Fanny Trilogy
[Marius, Fanny, César], 1931 ?) in Berkeley.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 27-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered User

Location: Norwich

These are standard tomatoes that are yet to mature. Although since harvesting they are turning red at an astonishing rate I guess it's due to the house staying warmer at night. In fact I now have a glut of green AND red tomatoes, which is a nice possition to be in!
__________________
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!

Old 28-09-2011, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sep 27, 1:03*am, Potman wrote:
These are standard tomatoes that are yet to mature. Although since
harvesting I guess it's due
to the house staying warmer at night. In fact I now have a glut of green
AND red tomatoes, which is a nice possition to be in!

--
Potman

"they are turning red at an astonishing rate"

Putting them in a paper bag helps keeps the ethylene gas level up
which accelerates the senescence.
Old 28-09-2011, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/30/140036...an-end-of-summ...

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/green.htm
Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 AM
jamie smith's Avatar
Registered User

Location: england
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potman View Post
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.
give them kids to throw at windows
Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , jamie.smith.8ff2a56
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Potman;937192 Wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a
bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.

give them kids to throw at windows

Sure... Teach kids to waste food.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Norwich

If they go rotten maybe I will..... maybe!

7cm Square Pots | Pot Tastic
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!