GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   strawberry leaves with holes in (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/199812-strawberry-leaves-holes.html)

ladya00 23-09-2011 07:17 PM

strawberry leaves with holes in

Ive had holes in the leaves on my strawberries all summer, i found a very few tiny about 3mm green caterpillars but not enough to be an infestation, so dont think theyre the usual sort. Apart from not looking good with holes in the leaves, the crop seems to have been reduced considerably, I sprayed with my usual Murphys insecticide, but to no avail. Too late for this year, but I would like to avoid a repeat performance next year if anyone has any advice please...

phorbin 24-09-2011 03:51 AM

strawberry leaves with holes in

In article ,
VALID says...

Ive had holes in the leaves on my strawberries all summer, i found a
very few tiny about 3mm green caterpillars but not enough to be an
infestation, so dont think theyre the usual sort. Apart from not looking
good with holes in the leaves, the crop seems to have been reduced
considerably, I sprayed with my usual Murphys insecticide, but to no
avail. Too late for this year, but I would like to avoid a repeat
performance next year if anyone has any advice please...

A better description would be helpful.

Do the holes look like the leaves were hit with very fine buckshot?

Gunner[_3_] 24-09-2011 07:49 PM

strawberry leaves with holes in

--
ladya00

phorbin is right you need to give the basic interrogatives, and then
more, to get specifics. Pics are always good.

Yet w/ a bit of quick searching you can find these that may help you:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...18hrt07a5..htm

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b926/pdf/b926-ch6.pdf

http://ucanr.org/blogs/blogcore/post...m?postnum=1332

David Hensley 03-10-2011 08:18 PM

strawberry leaves with holes in

On Sep 24, 2:49*pm, Gunner wrote:
On Sep 23, 11:17*am, ladya00

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...tmatt/2007/18h...

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b926/pdf/b926-ch6.pdf

http://ucanr.org/blogs/blogcore/post...m?postnum=1332

Thanks for the helpful information!

allen73 04-10-2011 06:27 AM

Slugs, tarnished plant bugs and strawberry root weevils all get their nourishment from the leaves of the strawberry plant, thus leaving the leaves damaged and creating holes in leaves.You can use vinegar-based herbicides to control pests,but in case of savior infection,use chemicals.

ladya00 09-10-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner[_3_] (Post 937554)
On Sep 23, 11:17*am, ladya00
wrote:
Ive had holes in the leaves on my strawberries all summer, i found a
very few tiny about 3mm green caterpillars but not enough to be an
infestation, so dont think theyre the usual sort. Apart from not looking
good with holes in the leaves, the crop seems to have been reduced
considerably, I sprayed with my usual Murphys insecticide, but to no
avail. Too late for this year, but I would like to avoid a repeat
performance next year if anyone has any advice please...

--
ladya00

phorbin is right you need to give the basic interrogatives, and then
more, to get specifics. Pics are always good.

Yet w/ a bit of quick searching you can find these that may help you:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...18hrt07a5..htm

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b926/pdf/b926-ch6.pdf

Strawberries and Caneberries - Agriculture and Natural Resources Blogs

Thanks so much for links, definitely not leaf roller though, no webbing, but holes are spread out, and quite small and round at first, seasons over now, but just keen to avoid same next year. ..bit puzzling though as i found so few worm things, considering the damage they did! Thanks for your help.

phorbin 10-10-2011 04:12 AM

+
Thanks so much for links, definitely not leaf roller though, no webbing,
but holes are spread out, and quite small and round at first, seasons
over now, but just keen to avoid same next year. ..bit puzzling though
as i found so few worm things, considering the damage they did! Thanks
for your help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea_beetle

http://www.uvm.edu/pss/ppp/pubs/el71.htm

The pattern of damage always reminds me of tiny buckshot.

http://clark.wsu.edu/volunteer/mg/gm...eabeetles.html

Look into predatory nematodes.