Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Critters on my Pluot tree

Everything was fine yesterday but today one branch of my multi-specie Pluot was
all but stripped of leaves (the others had nothing)

Critters are just over an inch with stripes from front to back, over all they
are greenish/grayish.

Plucked them and sprayed with a orange based organic soap.

Hope I got them all, but are they likely to attack my cherry tree? And what
might they be and what's the best way to deal with them

If it helps I'm zone 9 or 10 and the weather is finally changing
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
Everything was fine yesterday but today one branch of my multi-specie
Pluot was all but stripped of leaves (the others had nothing)

Critters are just over an inch with stripes from front to back, over
all they are greenish/grayish.

Plucked them and sprayed with a orange based organic soap.

Hope I got them all, but are they likely to attack my cherry tree?
And what might they be and what's the best way to deal with them

If it helps I'm zone 9 or 10 and the weather is finally changing

Any chance of a photograph? So far it isn't clear if you have grubs,
beetles, grasshoppers or any other leaf eater.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
Everything was fine yesterday but today one branch of my multi-specie
Pluot was all but stripped of leaves (the others had nothing)

Critters are just over an inch with stripes from front to back, over
all they are greenish/grayish.

Plucked them and sprayed with a orange based organic soap.

Hope I got them all, but are they likely to attack my cherry tree?
And what might they be and what's the best way to deal with them

If it helps I'm zone 9 or 10 and the weather is finally changing

Any chance of a photograph? So far it isn't clear if you have grubs,
beetles, grasshoppers or any other leaf eater.

I don't have a digital camera, but they were caterpillars
Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
lid says...

I don't have a digital camera, but they were caterpillars

Were there 'tents' on the tree?

If so, look up tent caterpillar.

In numbers, they can strip trees bare.

We usually knock the tents apart before they get too far along.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , phorbin
wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

I don't have a digital camera, but they were caterpillars

Were there 'tents' on the tree?

no tents, no "fur" and slightly different coloring

If so, look up tent caterpillar.

In numbers, they can strip trees bare.

We usually knock the tents apart before they get too far along.

If I had noticed them, I would have done that

thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
Everything was fine yesterday but today one branch of my multi-specie
Pluot was
all but stripped of leaves (the others had nothing)

Critters are just over an inch with stripes from front to back, over all
they
are greenish/grayish.

Plucked them and sprayed with a orange based organic soap.

Hope I got them all, but are they likely to attack my cherry tree? And
what
might they be and what's the best way to deal with them

If it helps I'm zone 9 or 10 and the weather is finally changing

Do a Google search for "fall army worm" . I've had them in my blueberries.
They can strip a branch in hours.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 17:22:08 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

Everything was fine yesterday but today one branch of my multi-specie Pluot was
all but stripped of leaves (the others had nothing)

Critters are just over an inch with stripes from front to back, over all they
are greenish/grayish.

Plucked them and sprayed with a orange based organic soap.

Hope I got them all, but are they likely to attack my cherry tree? And what
might they be and what's the best way to deal with them

If it helps I'm zone 9 or 10 and the weather is finally changing

Check out this site.
http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/pyr...fruitworm.html

Green Fruitworm is also a possibility.

Rodale's "Color Handbook of Garden Insects" is a handy reference.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Are you anywhere near botanical gardens or a tertiary institute
where they teach horticulture? If you take some grubs in a jar
they may identify them for you as a public service.

yeh, I could do that. Problem is all of the critters were disposed
of and (thankfully) no new ones have appeared. next time I'll take
them somewhere.

thanks

Next time take them to your county extension office.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

Your local will have information that fits your location.

If he is the USA.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Everything was fine yesterday but today one branch of my multi-specie Pluot
was
all but stripped of leaves (the others had nothing)

Critters are just over an inch with stripes from front to back, over all
they
are greenish/grayish.

Plucked them and sprayed with a orange based organic soap.

Hope I got them all, but are they likely to attack my cherry tree? And what
might they be and what's the best way to deal with them

If it helps I'm zone 9 or 10 and the weather is finally changing

Check out this site.
http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/pyr...fruitworm.html

Definitely not that. Looks a lot like an upscale version of my hornworms.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Are you anywhere near botanical gardens or a tertiary institute
where they teach horticulture? If you take some grubs in a jar
they may identify them for you as a public service.

yeh, I could do that. Problem is all of the critters were disposed
of and (thankfully) no new ones have appeared. next time I'll take
them somewhere.

thanks

Next time take them to your county extension office.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

Your local will have information that fits your location.

If he is the USA.

that I am. should have said so originally
Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Derald wrote:

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

Everything was fine yesterday but today one branch of my multi-specie Pluot
was
all but stripped of leaves (the others had nothing)

Critters are just over an inch with stripes from front to back, over all
they
are greenish/grayish.

Plucked them and sprayed with a orange based organic soap.

Hope I got them all, but are they likely to attack my cherry tree? And what
might they be and what's the best way to deal with them

If it helps I'm zone 9 or 10 and the weather is finally changing

I concur with Steve P. They are quite likely to be "fall army worm". It's
that time of year.... I'm on the zone 9a/b cusp in peninsular FL and they
have
begun to appear on my tomatoes. If you catch the infestation early enough,
thumb
and forefinger work well for eradication. Otherwise, off-the-shelf Btk is
effective. One application in the evening usually is sufficient and residue
may
be rinsed from plants the following day but, strictly speaking, rinsing is
unnecessary.

that's very close, but I am unwilling to categorically say that's what they are.
The stripes look a little wrong and the color is a little off, but pretty close

but then I'm getting old and getting cataracts. lol
Old 08-10-2011, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 08:57:36 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Are you anywhere near botanical gardens or a tertiary institute
where they teach horticulture? If you take some grubs in a jar
they may identify them for you as a public service.

yeh, I could do that. Problem is all of the critters were disposed
of and (thankfully) no new ones have appeared. next time I'll take
them somewhere.

thanks

Next time take them to your county extension office.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

Your local will have information that fits your location.

If he is the USA.

His original post said zone 9 or10. I have never seen posters from
other countries specify zones.