Old 20-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Registered User

Thumbs down Pea Mildew

I have a white dust on all of my pea's & now my late flowering sweet pea have it.

I read its a lack of nitrogen so gave them a blast of seaweed fertilizers!!!

I am worried it will spoil for me next year!!!

nb. weirdly its affected my purple top milans too

Any advise? Will it get as bad next year?
Old 20-10-2011, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Courgette Rot

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my courgette &
at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants & then on my
squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all find
previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably watering
unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil watering evenly in
future should fix it.

Old 21-10-2011, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my courgette &
at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants & then on my
squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all find
previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably watering
unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil watering evenly in
future should fix it.

or you need honey bees.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 21-10-2011, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Alphatono said:

This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my courgette & at
the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants & then on my squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all find
previous years.

"Rot at the base of the plant" could be your interpretation of the effects
of squash vine borers.

And squash vine borers could cause the plant to fail to set or abort fruit.

Squash vine borers don't occur everywhere squash are grown, though I
do remember reading that they had been unintentionally introduced into
areas where they are not native.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 22-10-2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my courgette &
at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants & then on my
squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all find
previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably watering
unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil watering evenly in
future should fix it.

or you need honey bees.

???? Would the courgettes have started to grow enough to get a rotted end
if the flower hadn't been visited by a bee?

Old 22-10-2011, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my courgette
& at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants & then on my
squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all
find previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably
watering unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil
watering evenly in future should fix it.

or you need honey bees.

???? Would the courgettes have started to grow enough to get a
rotted end if the flower hadn't been visited by a bee?

Apparently they do start to grow while infertile and only continue to grow
if fertilised. I am unsure how big they will get as I usually have to shoo
away the bees to get near them.

Old 22-10-2011, 07:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my courgette
& at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants & then on my
squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all
find previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably
watering unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil
watering evenly in future should fix it.

or you need honey bees.

???? Would the courgettes have started to grow enough to get a
rotted end if the flower hadn't been visited by a bee?

Apparently they do start to grow while infertile and only continue to grow
if fertilised. I am unsure how big they will get as I usually have to shoo
away the bees to get near them.

I'll go with the big guy. There are few bees around now, and the squash
are petering out quickly. Then there is the mildew, but the aborted
squash started before the mildew problems.

Old 22-10-2011, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my courgette &
at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants & then on my
squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all find
previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably watering
unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil watering evenly in
future should fix it.

or you need honey bees.

???? Would the courgettes have started to grow enough to get a rotted end
if the flower hadn't been visited by a bee?

That's been my observation. With my garden, it usually happens when
cucurbits first start flowering. I guess that it takes time for the bees
to integrate them new stop into their schedules ;O)

Was your trip a vacation or did you have business to take care of? If
the former, have you discussed it in any of the groups? I have a bad
case of wanderlust, and I'm always curious about what's around the next
bend, or over the next rise.

Old 23-10-2011, 07:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my courgette
& at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants & then on my
squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all
find previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably
watering unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil
watering evenly in future should fix it.

or you need honey bees.

???? Would the courgettes have started to grow enough to get a
rotted end if the flower hadn't been visited by a bee?

Apparently they do start to grow while infertile and only continue to grow
if fertilised. I am unsure how big they will get as I usually have to
shoo away the bees to get near them.

That's interesting. Does the same thing happen with other fruits/veg that
is really a fruit?

Old 23-10-2011, 07:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message news:Wildbilly-

Was your trip a vacation or did you have business to take care of? If
the former, have you discussed it in any of the groups? I have a bad
case of wanderlust, and I'm always curious about what's around the next
bend, or over the next rise.

It was a holiday Billy and just a magic one. No, I haven't discussed it on
other lists (other than an extremely brief mention). It wasn't my choice of
destination so I had limited expectations but it turned out far better than
I ever could have anticipated. I can recommend a trip there, especially
Peru where the food was exceptional (all of it even the grub one eats just
because you need a belly filler), the people were all delightful and the
scenery and landscapes were always interesting or stunning or breathtaking.
Macchu Pichu has to be seen to appreciate it as no pic can really do it
justice but it's too crowded for my liking. Chile and Bolivia were places
we'd love to see more of, and the same for Brazil although we liked the bits
we saw (Iguassu is stunning as is BA). Would go back to every place except
Rio which has very grubby beaches in comparison to those of Aus and has
somewhat limited appeal for a couple of bumkins like us as we're not 'into'
shopping or shows or grubby beaches. As a spinner and sometime weaver, I
enjoyed that aspect of the western parts of it but would really have liked
to have access to a translator who knew something about the subject as the
only time I got to talk to a real spinner, I had doubts about what she was
supposedly doing and the explanation for why she was doing it - what I was
told sounded like a complete load of old rubbish. We were as sick as dogs
from the altitude from the time we got to Cusco and stayed that way till we
left La Paz but other than that, I was as fit as a Mallee Bull. Himself
wouldn't lsiten to my advice and not eat lettuce in road side places and got
a gut bug which took him 2 weeks to get over. I was not sympathetic. The
trip home was a bitch - 36 hours from hotel door to home. It's a long way
to SA from here. It took a couple of weeks to get over waking in the middle
of the night and wanting to bounce out of bed. I'd recommend it. Next time
we will go to the Galapagos and down into Patagonia.

Old 24-10-2011, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
This year I had massive issues with rot on the end of my
courgette & at the base of the plants I had it on all 5 plants &
then on my squash.

Any idea what it could be & will it affect me next year. Was all
find previous years.

Google "blossom end rot" for a million hits. You are probably
watering unevenly. Unless it is deficient calcium in the soil
watering evenly in future should fix it.

or you need honey bees.

???? Would the courgettes have started to grow enough to get a
rotted end if the flower hadn't been visited by a bee?

Apparently they do start to grow while infertile and only continue
to grow if fertilised. I am unsure how big they will get as I
usually have to shoo away the bees to get near them.

That's interesting. Does the same thing happen with other fruits/veg
that is really a fruit?

Some plants produce full fruit without fertilisation, it's called
parthenocarpy. For example bananas, some oranges and watermelons. Most
fruits don't develop very much at all and fall while tiny and hard if not
fertilised. I don't know how many partially develop if not fertilised.

Old 24-10-2011, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
[...]

Watermelons do that!!! Most interesting. I'd always assumed that they were
like the other members of the melon family and needed to be grown on their
own if you were a seed saver. Must plant some of those sun and moon ones
now I know that bit of info.

Old 24-10-2011, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Thanks for the thumb-nail. I'm green with envy.

Old 24-10-2011, 07:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
[...]

I take it you don't want your moon and stars to produce hybrid seed. Maybe
I am thick today but I don't understand how this aim relates to
parthenocarpy.

Old 24-10-2011, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

u...
FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Alphatono wrote:
[...]

I read that as some oranges and "some" watermelons. I could of course be
wrong, I am a male.

Mike

when mildew isn't mildew T[_4_] Edible Gardening 1 16-08-2016 06:09 AM
Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
mildew on roses Theresa Chao Roses 4 08-04-2003 03:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
DOWNEY MILDEW rosy Roses 4 13-02-2003 05:25 PM