Old 21-10-2011, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Coffee grounds ?

I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been offered
as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've read somewhere
that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a fertilizer on my
garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and how much would be too
much .
So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application ?
When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the ground and
filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's grounds as food ,
got some very healthy and active worms , and had repeat business from the
local fisherfolk ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 21-10-2011, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:

I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been offered
as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've read somewhere
that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a fertilizer on my
garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and how much would be too
much .

pretty heavy to move. buckets with good
handles will help your hands a lot.

So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application ?
When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the ground and
filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's grounds as food ,
got some very healthy and active worms , and had repeat business from the
local fisherfolk ...

acid loving plants would probably be ok with
some of them, but the majority i would want to
compost first before using them in a garden.

worm composting, probably ok too. no idea how
long it would take to get the grounds from fresh
to processed enough to be usable as compost (i
don't drink coffee here or i could tell you exactly
as i do worm composting of all of our veggie scraps)
but it'd be a month or two as those roasted bean
pieces are pretty hard and acidic. probably be a
good strawberry topping when done.

having neighbors who are also gardeners would
give you other outlets. having them help carry
would be even better.

songbird
Old 22-10-2011, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

We use our grounds on the evergreen shrubs around the house when it's
raining. Otherwise we save them in the bags and place them on our mulch
pile which is used once a year.

Old 22-10-2011, 08:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Snag wrote:

[...]

Straight on to the plant, they have killed a couple of my squash. Tread
lightly.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 22-10-2011, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

jimmy wrote:
We use our grounds on the evergreen shrubs around the house when it's
raining. Otherwise we save them in the bags and place them on our
mulch pile which is used once a year.

On 10/21/2011 3:12 PM, Snag wrote:
I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been
offered as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've
read somewhere that they make excellent worm food and can be used as
a fertilizer on my garden , but I have no idea how much is enough ,
and how much would be too much .
So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this
application ? When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about
3/4 in the ground and filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We
used Dad's grounds as food , got some very healthy and active worms
, and had repeat business from the local fisherfolk ...

Thanks all , looks like there's going to be a mulch pile in the back
corner of my yard . Good time to start with leaves falling and all . Most
people leave bags on the curb , and you can usually tell what species by
looking at the trees in their's and neighbor's yards . Same with grass
clippings , but the bags are often smaller ...
Maybe next year my little garden will do better . Got some nice cants and
a lot of cayennes this year . Tomatoes didn't do so well , they kinda
stopped producing when the temps shot up to near triple digits . And I'm
very disappointed with the lettuce and spinach I planted for salads , lost
the spring crop when it went from cold and wet to hot and dry , and the fall
planting hasn't done so well either .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 22-10-2011, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag said:

I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been offered
as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've read

somewhere
that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a fertilizer on my
garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and how much would be

too
much .
So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application ?
When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the ground

and
filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's grounds as food ,
got some very healthy and active worms , and had repeat business from the
local fisherfolk ...

I wish I was still getting a few 5 gallon buckets of coffee grounds every
week...

I put them into the compost, added them to shredded newspaper for a worm
bin and mixed them with shredded leaves for mulching everywhere.

Also dusted dried grounds onto and around my eggplants to repel flea
beetles.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 22-10-2011, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article -
september.org, says...

Also dusted dried grounds onto and around my eggplants to repel flea
beetles.

How effective was doing this?
Old 22-10-2011, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 08:20:04 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

Snag said:

[...]

Wish I had known about keeping the flea beetles off the eggplant. Mine
EP leaves look like lace. I have a couple of small fruit on the
plants and lots of blossoms Same for the peppers. I doubt that they
will pollinate in time to produce anything of any size.

Small scare this morning -- Frost Alert 34°F. I did not look at the
weather last night so this morning's notice was of no help.
Fortunately it only got down to about 39°F here and everything is
still fine. Supposed to be the same tonight and then overnight temps
in the 40s. About the only thing left are the peppers and the
Cannellini beans that I planted late.

Now maybe I can finish getting the Tung Oil on the TV stand that DH as
built. One more coat and then get the room cleaned and ready to move
it. Also need to put the citrus plants in the greenhouse before we
get a real freeze.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 23-10-2011, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 14:12:49 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been offered
as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've read somewhere
that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a fertilizer on my
garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and how much would be too
much .
So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application ?
When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the ground and
filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's grounds as food ,
got some very healthy and active worms , and had repeat business from the
local fisherfolk ...

My Grandmother used to put it on her flowerbeds. I've been puttining
it directly in the garden for many years. I go thru allot of coffee
too. It's a little ascidic but it's already been ground and soaked in
boiling water so it's going to break down fast. If you put it on in
fall or winter it would be well neutralized by spring.
Old 23-10-2011, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Bobo wrote:
[...]

Hmm , pick up a few bags of manure on fall special sale , some grounds ,
till it all in and by spring it should be ready ??
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 24-10-2011, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote in message
I've been doing some work for a local coffee shop , and have been offered
as much used coffee grounds as I'd care to drag home ...I've read
somewhere that they make excellent worm food and can be used as a
fertilizer on my garden , but I have no idea how much is enough , and how
much would be too much .
So , is there a rule of thumb or any kind of guide for this application ?
When we were kids we used a 5 gal bucket buried about 3/4 in the ground
and filled with burlap sacking as a worm farm . We used Dad's grounds as
food , got some very healthy and active worms , and had repeat business
from the local fisherfolk ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

There's not really a rule of thumb. You need to keep your ph though.
Well, I read somewhere that blueberries love coffee grounds. But Id
compost them first. Or if you get like a half truckload or something. I
might mix them up with lime and put them in the garden.
And worm farms might work, but I thought everyone was using newspaper for
worm farms.

Old 24-10-2011, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"DogDiesel" wrote in message

"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

Generally speaking, coffee grounds are not acidic. The acid leaches out in
the brewing process. In moderation they can be added straight to almost any
planting, however pre composting them makes a better fertilizer.

Never, never, never mention blueberries and lime in the same paragraph. Lime
is deadly for blueberries, a Ph over about 5.8 is unhealthy for them.

Coffee grounds and shredded paper make a really good substrate for growing
oyster (Pleurotus) mushrooms. Have a look at www.mushroommountain.com for
more specifics.

Steve

Old 24-10-2011, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Peek" wrote in message
m...

"DogDiesel" wrote in message

"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

i was talking about lime in my bind weed garden. But yea I see the
confusion. I should of said or.

Speaking of blueberries though. I visited a pick your own blueberry farm
off of Baumhardt road. In the summer. I was more intersted in their
techniques then their blueberries.
But they were good. I think I ate more fruit this summer then ever in my
life. Theyre site pics arent good though.

Old 24-10-2011, 08:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

My blueberries and potatoes thrive on fresh coffee grounds.
--
[...]

coffee grounds from cold press coffee user Roses 4 01-05-2004 05:03 PM
Coffee grounds to keep out cats? Polar Edible Gardening 9 29-04-2003 12:56 PM
NPK of Coffee Grounds Ryunen Gardening 1 01-03-2003 06:27 AM
[IBC] Fw: Coffee grounds Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 22-02-2003 05:27 PM
Coffee grounds Theo Bonsai 0 22-02-2003 09:15 AM