Old 28-10-2011, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hot Pepper Insecticide

Does anyone have the instructions for making the stuff. Right now I
have couple of cups of Jalapeno tops, seeds and some membranes and it
just occurred to me that they could be turned into an insecticide.
Also, how do you use it and on what?
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 28-10-2011, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"The Cook" wrote in message
Does anyone have the instructions for making the stuff. Right now I
have couple of cups of Jalapeno tops, seeds and some membranes and it
just occurred to me that they could be turned into an insecticide.
Also, how do you use it and on what?
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
USDA Zone 7a
To find your extension office
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

I haven't had much luck with hot peppers as an insecticide, but they do work
well for the four-legged pests. For years I had a huge problem with rabbits
eating my sweet potato vines. I put a handful of dried chilies(cayenne I
think) in the blender with a couple of cups of hot water and processed for a
couple of minutes. The resulting mix was strained through an old t-shirt,
diluted to 1 gallon and sprayed on the potato vines. There was no more
noticeable damage until after the next rain. You could add a couple of drops
of liquid soap (Ivory, not detergent) to help it stick. It works for deer as
well. For now just dry the pepper trimmings for use next year.
Hope this helps,
Steve

Old 28-10-2011, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
Does anyone have the instructions for making the stuff. Right now I
have couple of cups of Jalapeno tops, seeds and some membranes and it
just occurred to me that they could be turned into an insecticide.
Also, how do you use it and on what?

I don't know if capsaisum (spelling?) is a good insecticide but I can tell
you how to extract it into water. Blend your seeds etc into a food
processor with just enough cheap vegetable oil to liquidise, blend until
smooth and liquid then leave over night. Dilute this with water including
enough detergent to emulsify the oil. If using a sprayer squeeze through a
cloth to remove larger solids. Wear gloves! I don't know what strength (if
any) acts as an insecticide so you may have to experiment. As others have
said it may be more use as an animal repellant.

David

Old 29-10-2011, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

The Cook wrote:
Does anyone have the instructions for making the stuff. Right now I
have couple of cups of Jalapeno tops, seeds and some membranes and it
just occurred to me that they could be turned into an insecticide.
Also, how do you use it and on what?

I don't know if capsaisum (spelling?) is a good insecticide but I can tell
you how to extract it into water. Blend your seeds etc into a food
processor with just enough cheap vegetable oil to liquidise, blend until
smooth and liquid then leave over night. Dilute this with water including
enough detergent to emulsify the oil. If using a sprayer squeeze through a
cloth to remove larger solids. Wear gloves! I don't know what strength (if
any) acts as an insecticide so you may have to experiment. As others have
said it may be more use as an animal repellant.

David

OMG. Just google "chili pepper insecticide".
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it¹s not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That¹s hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don¹t get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis
Old 29-10-2011, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:45:47 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

Does anyone have the instructions for making the stuff. Right now I
have couple of cups of Jalapeno tops, seeds and some membranes and it
just occurred to me that they could be turned into an insecticide.
Also, how do you use it and on what?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will be mixing some up in the next
few days and trying it next year. If it keeps the critters away that
will be a big help. I watched a turtle eat my only cantaloupe this
year. And I see rabbits hopping around there frequently.

Maybe I will plant a couple of cayenne next year to use for repellant.

Old 29-10-2011, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Does anyone have the instructions for making the stuff. Right now I
have couple of cups of Jalapeno tops, seeds and some membranes and it
just occurred to me that they could be turned into an insecticide.
Also, how do you use it and on what?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will be mixing some up in the next
few days and trying it next year. If it keeps the critters away that
will be a big help. I watched a turtle eat my only cantaloupe this
year. And I see rabbits hopping around there frequently.

Maybe I will plant a couple of cayenne next year to use for repellant.

Sounds like it's time for turtle soup and rabbit stew to me ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 29-10-2011, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
Does anyone have the instructions for making the stuff. Right now I
have couple of cups of Jalapeno tops, seeds and some membranes and it
just occurred to me that they could be turned into an insecticide.
Also, how do you use it and on what?

My stink bugs loved to suck my jalapeƱo peppers, and my ghost peppers, but
not my scotch bonnet peppers.

Greg
Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 AM
Registered User

To use the hot pepper spray, mix a quarter cup of the concentrate with a gallon of water and a tablespoon or two of liquid soap. The soap will help the spray stick to the plants.
home improvement |
remodeling

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone? Marie Dodge Gardening 46 31-08-2008 06:39 AM
Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM