Old 02-11-2011, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hops

FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

Fair go Fran, yiou are being a bit harsh here.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And since hops are used in beer , I consider them edible . My non-drinking
Mormon Granny had a patch of hops in the back yard . I have no idea why or
what she used them for , but she wouldn't have let them grow if she didn't
have a use for 'em .

The tips of the hops are edible and the hop flowers are used when making
home made yeast. Did she bake her own bread?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve B" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And your point is?

You can't see any connection with how you started this thread and what I
wrote?

What is the punishment for this?

None, but I am amused that for the second time in this thread you seek
admonishmnet.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Bloke Down The Pub" wrote in message "Steve
B" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And your point is?

What is the punishment for this?

Steve

I read that reply as telling the OP that the post was on topic, and as
there was only one line I had no need to read between them.

:-))

Old 03-11-2011, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

Fair go Fran, yiou are being a bit harsh here.

LOL. It was a bit mean to expect Steve to figure out that what I wrote was
a direct response to what he wrote. I always forget that responses should
always be tangential and should bear no relation to what is asked.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

Ross@home wrote in

Beer is liquid bread!

There is an antique beer bottle from the turn of the century called "Liquid
Bread". It is unique because the bottles were cobalt blue glass, a beauty
as a stand alone bottle. With the label, they are VERY valuable.

Steve

And, in Germany it is still referred to as "flussig brot" (liquid bread).
As far as blue bottles, you may enjoy Bombay Sapphire dry gin which
comes in a blue bottle, as does a number of German wines (which are very
affordable). But this is going a bit far a field for "wrecked" edible
gardens.
--
- Billy

E pluribus unum
Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And your point is?

You can't see any connection with how you started this thread and what I
wrote?

What is the punishment for this?

None, but I am amused that for the second time in this thread you seek
admonishmnet.

I've really missed you, ya know? ;O))
--
- Billy

E pluribus unum
Old 03-11-2011, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

Fair go Fran, yiou are being a bit harsh here.

LOL. It was a bit mean to expect Steve to figure out that what I
wrote was a direct response to what he wrote. I always forget that
what is asked.

The meaning is not as clear as you seem to think. It isn't important,
nevermind.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B[_7_] View Post
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.
If you are growing hops as a crop, it is normal with to thin out the young shoots to 1 or 2 per pole. The thinned out young shoots can be cooked and eaten like asparagus. Any later in the season and they will be too tough to use as a vegetable. I do have a hop patch in the garden, for ornamental reasons, and keep on saying I will try it one year, because I read it is delicious.

In regions where the beer is pilsener style, only female hops are grown, and the fruiting bodies are unfertilised. In fact growing a male hop plant is illegal and subject to large fines in some of these regions, since the pollenisation can occur over a distance of up to about 10km, and even a few fertilised fruits will taint the crop. For this reason alone, seeds are not readily available, and propagation must be vegetative in these regions. If you live in such a region, you won't even be able to buy a male hop.

Here in Britain we allow our hops to fraternise, and the hop fruit is fertilised and contains fertile seeds. This has a much more bitter taste, and is one of the factors that makes British ale such a distinctive product from the continental pilseners. Pilseners are manufactured in Britain, but probably they have to import the hops, or more likely a hop extract, to do it.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

u...
FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

Fair go Fran, yiou are being a bit harsh here.

LOL. It was a bit mean to expect Steve to figure out that what I wrote
was a direct response to what he wrote. I always forget that responses
should always be tangential and should bear no relation to what is asked.

And when that fails, civility and common sense sometime work.

Steve

Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

And since hops are used in beer , I consider them edible . My
non-drinking Mormon Granny had a patch of hops in the back yard . I
have no idea why or what she used them for , but she wouldn't have
let them grow if she didn't have a use for 'em .

The tips of the hops are edible and the hop flowers are used when
making home made yeast. Did she bake her own bread?

Not only her own , she was a cook at the local high school for many years
.. I've heard she was very good , I do know that Sunday Dinner at Granny's
house was something I never missed willingly .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message
Does anyone here grow hops? I don't know if you can eat them, so
apologies to netnannies, but they sure are good in certain recipes.

This group is called rec.gardens.edible

Fair go Fran, yiou are being a bit harsh here.

LOL. It was a bit mean to expect Steve to figure out that what I wrote
was a direct response to what he wrote. I always forget that responses
should always be tangential and should bear no relation to what is asked.

And when that fails, civility and common sense sometime work.

Are you the very same Steve B who recently told another poster to throw
their computer away because they were too stupid to own one? Is that how
people calling themselves Steve B act to demonstrate being civil?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

My
non-drinking Mormon Granny had a patch of hops in the back yard . I
have no idea why or what she used them for , but she wouldn't have
let them grow if she didn't have a use for 'em .

The tips of the hops are edible and the hop flowers are used when
making home made yeast. Did she bake her own bread?

Not only her own , she was a cook at the local high school for many years
. I've heard she was very good , I do know that Sunday Dinner at Granny's
house was something I never missed willingly .

As you say, she wouldn't have grown them if she didn't have a use for them
so now I'm wondering about that bread. Do you know if she made her own
yeast? Can you remember if she had a pottery crock or a bottle that she set
in a warm place and in which she made her yeast using hops, potato, flour
and sugar? She wouldn't have refrigerated it and it isn't a sourdough -
it's a hop yeast that is quite and old fashioned recipe.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

She may very well have made her own yeast , but I was a small child at
that time . I do remember a pottery crock that she made pickles in . Crunchy
dills , and some of the best "bread and butter" pickles you ever ate . I
wish we had her recipes , but Dad's brother snatched all that when she
passed . Along with a lot of other stuff .
--
Snag
Pickled beets too , and they had a garden the size of a city building lot

Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 145 10-03-2004 04:18 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
Growing hops? Shelley Gardening 1 02-03-2004 03:02 AM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 03:55 PM
Advice on hops JimM United Kingdom 8 22-04-2003 12:44 PM