Old 06-11-2011, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hops

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote

Are you the very same Steve B who recently told another poster to throw
their computer away because they were too stupid to own one? Is that how
people calling themselves Steve B act to demonstrate being civil?

You got the time to go and dig all that old stuff up?

You seriously need to get a life.

Steve

Old 06-11-2011, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote

Are you the very same Steve B who recently told another poster to throw
their computer away because they were too stupid to own one? Is that how
people calling themselves Steve B act to demonstrate being civil?

You got the time to go and dig all that old stuff up?

You seriously need to get a life.

Steve

Q.E.D.
--
- Billy

E pluribus unum
Old 06-11-2011, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve B" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote

Are you the very same Steve B who recently told another poster to throw
their computer away because they were too stupid to own one? Is that how
people calling themselves Steve B act to demonstrate being civil?

You got the time to go and dig all that old stuff up?

You seriously need to get a life.

Dig? Who needs to 'dig'. You may suffer from short term memory loss but
you wrote your comment only a short time ago so your post is still showing
up on my screen.

And as for my needing to get a life, that tired old attempt at an insult was
exactly what you told the other poster when you told him/her they were
stupid.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

My
non-drinking Mormon Granny had a patch of hops in the back yard . I
have no idea why or what she used them for , but she wouldn't have
let them grow if she didn't have a use for 'em .

The tips of the hops are edible and the hop flowers are used when
making home made yeast. Did she bake her own bread?

Not only her own , she was a cook at the local high school for many
years . I've heard she was very good , I do know that Sunday Dinner
at Granny's house was something I never missed willingly .

As you say, she wouldn't have grown them if she didn't have a use for
them so now I'm wondering about that bread. Do you know if she made
her own yeast? Can you remember if she had a pottery crock or a
bottle that she set in a warm place and in which she made her yeast
using hops, potato, flour and sugar? She wouldn't have refrigerated
it and it isn't a sourdough - it's a hop yeast that is quite and old
fashioned recipe.

She may very well have made her own yeast , but I was a small child at
that time . I do remember a pottery crock that she made pickles in .
Crunchy dills , and some of the best "bread and butter" pickles you ever
ate .

wish we had her recipes , but Dad's brother snatched all that when she
passed . Along with a lot of other stuff .

Are relations with that line of the family strained or cordial enough for
you to contact whoever now has the recipes and ask if you can copy them?

Even if you don't want to do that, I'm sure you would still be able to find
recipes for the same things she made on the Net. I collect old cookbooks
(in a casual and desultory way) a nd I know those sorts of recipes and
others I'm sure she'd also have made appear in early to mid 20th century
cookbooks.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
I wish we had her Grandma's , that part got snippedrecipes , but Dad's
brother snatched all that when
she passed . Along with a lot of other stuff .

Are relations with that line of the family strained or cordial enough
for you to contact whoever now has the recipes and ask if you can
copy them?

They're all Mormons , and to both sides of my family -with the exception
of my one surviving brother- I no longer exist since I left the church .

Even if you don't want to do that, I'm sure you would still be able
to find recipes for the same things she made on the Net. I collect
old cookbooks (in a casual and desultory way) a nd I know those sorts
of recipes and others I'm sure she'd also have made appear in early
to mid 20th century cookbooks.

I might be able to find similar recipes if I looked , but we also have the
wife's family as a source . Most of them are Southern Baptists and almost as
rabid as Mormons , but I haven't alienated them . Yet .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

u...
"Steve B" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote

Are you the very same Steve B who recently told another poster to throw
their computer away because they were too stupid to own one? Is that
how people calling themselves Steve B act to demonstrate being civil?

You got the time to go and dig all that old stuff up?

You seriously need to get a life.

Dig? Who needs to 'dig'. You may suffer from short term memory loss but
you wrote your comment only a short time ago so your post is still showing
up on my screen.

And as for my needing to get a life, that tired old attempt at an insult
was exactly what you told the other poster when you told him/her they were
stupid.

Stupid is as stupid does. Ruminating over old posts and he said she said is
stupid.

Do you have anything to say about the subject line?

Steve

Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

u...
"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I think it has come to an end.
--
- Billy

E pluribus unum
Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

LOL. So, what's stopping you looking for those recipes (other than a touch
of sloth)?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Steve B" wrote in message
u...
"Steve B" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote

Are you the very same Steve B who recently told another poster to throw
their computer away because they were too stupid to own one? Is that
how people calling themselves Steve B act to demonstrate being civil?

You got the time to go and dig all that old stuff up?

You seriously need to get a life.

Dig? Who needs to 'dig'. You may suffer from short term memory loss but
you wrote your comment only a short time ago so your post is still
showing up on my screen.

And as for my needing to get a life, that tired old attempt at an insult
was exactly what you told the other poster when you told him/her they
were stupid.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Yep. You were very stupid to mention being civil and using common sense
after your recent posting history.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

u...
"Steve B" wrote in message
u...
"Steve B" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote

Are you the very same Steve B who recently told another poster to
throw their computer away because they were too stupid to own one? Is
that how people calling themselves Steve B act to demonstrate being
civil?

You got the time to go and dig all that old stuff up?

You seriously need to get a life.

Dig? Who needs to 'dig'. You may suffer from short term memory loss
but you wrote your comment only a short time ago so your post is still
showing up on my screen.

And as for my needing to get a life, that tired old attempt at an insult
was exactly what you told the other poster when you told him/her they
were stupid.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Yep. You were very stupid to mention being civil and using common sense
after your recent posting history.

And you're a pompous gasbag who has nothing more to do in life than sit at a
keyboard and **** and moan and gossip.

Kiss off.

Steve

Old 10-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Registered User

Forest gardening is an idea whose time has come. We can consciously apply the principles of ecology to the design of home scale gardens that mimic forest ecosystem structure and function, but grow food, fuel, fiber, fodder, fertilizer, "farmaceuticals," and fun. Indeed, we must begin learning to apply ecological principles to the design of our food production systems .
home improvement |
remodeling

Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 145 10-03-2004 04:18 AM
Hops? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 1 02-03-2004 04:14 AM
Growing hops? Shelley Gardening 1 02-03-2004 03:02 AM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 03:55 PM
Advice on hops JimM United Kingdom 8 22-04-2003 12:44 PM