Old 06-11-2011, 09:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pine nuts.

I ate a few pine nuts off my backyard tree. Two years in a row. No big
deal. I found some in Giant Eagle a couple weeks ago. And put them in
the car as a snack. A few days in a row I ate an ounce or so. No problem.
Then I was looking at the package and saw it said must be boiled first...
But I had already ate them and no problem. So I finished them off and have
been sick for a week. But I'm mostly over it. Super chills, whole body
aches, diarrhea. heavy fatigue. I'm just wondering what type of illness
comes from nuts... There's not much on the web.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

I ate a few pine nuts off my backyard tree. Two years in a row. No big
deal. I found some in Giant Eagle a couple weeks ago. And put them in
the car as a snack. A few days in a row I ate an ounce or so. No problem.
Then I was looking at the package and saw it said must be boiled first...
But I had already ate them and no problem. So I finished them off and have
been sick for a week. But I'm mostly over it. Super chills, whole body
aches, diarrhea. heavy fatigue. I'm just wondering what type of illness
comes from nuts... There's not much on the web.

Good luck!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...%20pine%20nuts

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:

I ate a few pine nuts off my backyard tree. Two years in a row. No big
deal. I found some in Giant Eagle a couple weeks ago. And put them in
the car as a snack. A few days in a row I ate an ounce or so. No problem.
Then I was looking at the package and saw it said must be boiled first...
But I had already ate them and no problem. So I finished them off and have
been sick for a week. But I'm mostly over it. Super chills, whole body
aches, diarrhea. heavy fatigue. I'm just wondering what type of illness
comes from nuts... There's not much on the web.

if they are raw then it depends upon how they
are stored if i would worry about them. don't
keep them in plastic bags or glass jars. a few
years ago i'd picked a few lbs and forgot to
put them in a paper bag. they rotted. arg!

perhaps that was the trouble? did you have
them in a plastic bag where they could have
started to spoil?

songbird
Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
I ate a few pine nuts off my backyard tree. Two years in a row. No
big
deal. I found some in Giant Eagle a couple weeks ago. And put them
in
the car as a snack. A few days in a row I ate an ounce or so. No
problem.
Then I was looking at the package and saw it said must be boiled
first...
But I had already ate them and no problem. So I finished them off and
have
been sick for a week. But I'm mostly over it. Super chills, whole body
aches, diarrhea. heavy fatigue. I'm just wondering what type of
illness
comes from nuts... There's not much on the web.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...th/infectious-
diseases/articles/2011/10/31/health-buzz-wegmans-recalls-pine-nuts-over-
salmonella-concerns

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/1...nuts-outbreak-
with-revised-numbers/

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm278732.htm

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/30/health...all/index.html

Could Giant Eagle have gotten the pine nuts from Sunrise Commodities?

Yea, I'm still sick. But I can eat a little. But thanks. I see a
couple of recalls. I'm looking for the container now.

Diesel.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message
DogDiesel wrote:

[...]

Nah, store container.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

Again, thanks.

This is from one of the links. But there's no Wegmans in Ohio. The
container said must boil first. But I kept trying to figure out why. So
I screwed up. I'm working on day 5 now. And I'm about 80%. I'm eating a
little. I had some grilled veggies last night and a bit of heinens chicken
paprika's. Two cups of Hot tea this morning was awesome. I guess its
salmonella . It took about 3 days to start. And nailed me fast. I went to
work on day 2 and froze all night. Completely exhausted. With the heat all
the way up so nobody could stand it. I'm almost over it.
The salmonella bacteria can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps 12 to
72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts four to seven days, the
FDA said. While most people recover without treatment, infection may lead to
hospitalization and can be fatal. The bacteria is most dangerous to older
adults, infants and those with compromised immune systems, the FDA said.

Thanks, Diesel.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 7, 8:11*am, "DogDiesel" wrote:
"phorbin" wrote in message

In article ,
says...
[...]

Thanks, Diesel.- Hide quoted text -

We got hit by something last winter and wife figured it might have
been picked up at supermarket salad bar although store denies it.

While we would all like to eat raw, unprocessed food, it may be the
most likely bacteria vector.
Now we're avoiding salad bars where others than the food handlers may
have touched the food.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

DogDiesel wrote:
Nah, store container.

ah, ok, i'm glad you are recovering.

songbird
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 AM
Registered User

Thanks dear for share the information. you have great job....
home improvement |
remodeling

Pine nuts handling Steve B[_7_] Edible Gardening 1 10-11-2011 04:13 AM
Pine nuts Tuckermor Edible Gardening 3 17-01-2005 06:03 PM
pine tree for pine nuts jay jay United Kingdom 3 04-10-2004 07:37 AM
[IBC] Advice on Pine Trees (Pine Tree "Farm") Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-01-2004 09:28 PM
Advice on Pine Trees (Pine Tree "Farm") Dish Gardening 4 03-01-2004 08:42 PM