Old 21-11-2011, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Newbie with questions: Poor root development.

So my garden plants did not get good root development last season.
Raddishes took almost 2 months to develop. Carots, took all
summer and were very small. About the size of my finger.

My guess is that my soil is low on pottash. What is the best
way to amend the soil for better root development?
Old 21-11-2011, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gordon wrote:
So my garden plants did not get good root development last season.
Raddishes took almost 2 months to develop. Carots, took all
summer and were very small. About the size of my finger.

My guess is that my soil is low on pottash. What is the best
way to amend the soil for better root development?

I wouldn't assume that missing one mineral is the cause although it might
be. Broadly carrots are fairly slow growing and do not require heavy
feeding. If fact heavy feeding will contribute to them bifurcating. Before
starting to amend your soil look at the whole situation and how other plants
did in the same soil. The simplest (and probably the first) test you
should do is the pH. Very high or low pH will lock up minerals.

David

Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Norfolk U.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon[_6_] View Post
So my garden plants did not get good root development last season.
Raddishes took almost 2 months to develop. Carots, took all
summer and were very small. About the size of my finger.

My guess is that my soil is low on pottash. What is the best
way to amend the soil for better root development?
Hi Gordon,
I doubt it's potash, or any other mineral. By the sounds of things the problem is more with the soil structure, I'll bet it is very low in humus.Humus is what compost becomes when compost/organic matter has broken right down. This, in effect becomes an invisible jelly which coats every soil particle, at least it does, when you've got enough of it.
This is the 'magic' ingredient of soil, which holds the moisture and in that moisture are the dissolved nutrients, for the plants.
The solution is long term, it takes two or three years to start to get it right, it all depends on how much compost you can get dug in. One thing, try not to grow carrots or parsnips on freshly composted soils, fine if it was for the previous crop otherwise they bifucate [lots of little roots instead of one big one]
Watering will help in dry conditions, but without the humus it will drain out, taking nutrient with it, so a little weak feed, every ten days or so will help.
Get digging! good luck.
Paul Rix [oldgeezer]