GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Winter summary (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/200425-winter-summary.html)

DogDiesel 21-11-2011 02:42 AM

Winter summary

So I cleaned up the garden mess today. I had heaps of dead morning glory
vines. All the grass and leaves I put in my in my mulch cage last year,
turned deep dark black. The neighbor came over to smell it. Whatever..., I
pulled out all the bind weeds and burned them, but there's pods everywhere.

The garden soil looks really good, and I got worms now with an inch or two
from the top. I had a few toads too in the fall

The mulch cage is all filled up heaping over, again from me mowing and
getting the leaves up.

I ran out of time. I have to finish mowing tomorrow. And cutting down the
grape vines and dead bushes the ex planted. The grape trellis is all
rotted. And I have a bit of wood to burn up.

I need a new plan though.

Diesel.

songbird[_2_] 29-11-2011 05:04 PM

Winter summary

DogDiesel wrote:

So I cleaned up the garden mess today. I had heaps of dead morning glory
vines. All the grass and leaves I put in my in my mulch cage last year,
turned deep dark black. The neighbor came over to smell it. Whatever..., I
pulled out all the bind weeds and burned them, but there's pods everywhere.

would a shopvac pick them up? might help cut
down on the invasion later.

The garden soil looks really good, and I got worms now with an inch or two
from the top. I had a few toads too in the fall

:) it's always nice to have helpers out there.

i haven't seen too many toads, a small one way
back in the early summer and a bigger one later
in the summer in a different spot. frogs aplenty.
a good year for frogs. including in places i
wouldn't expect them like in the dried out tulip/
pinto bean patch. there was a frog hopping around
in there for weeks. finally left for a better
hiding place i hope as it is way too bare and dry
for winter hibernation there. poor bugger would
be mummified...

I need a new plan though.

for what?

songbird