GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   veggies that don't mind having wet feet (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/200435-veggies-dont-mind-having-wet-feet.html)

songbird[_2_] 22-11-2011 04:59 AM

veggies that don't mind having wet feet

zone 5 USA.

i'll have an area next year that could
be planted, but i'm not sure what would
do well there.

full sun. soil will be 6-8 inches of
decent sandy loam, on top of a layer of
sand, a layer of gravel and then there
will be clay.

this area is likely to be flooded at
times (but not over the top) so that the
roots will likely be damp to wet for a
longer spells than many garden plants
might be liking.

the garden is about 15ft long and
roughly triangular with the widest
part being about 3ft across tapering
down to 1.5ft.

which veggies might do well?

i am expanding production of strawberries
so i will have plenty of extra plants in the
summer. so that is one consideration for
sure.

any other ideas?

eventually i'll be filling it in more,
but that is unlikely to happen for a few
years yet.

thanks. :)

songbird

Steve Peek 22-11-2011 03:07 PM

"songbird" wrote in message
[...]

Give water cress a try. It appears in sandy areas along my stream bank every
year.
Steve

Billy[_10_] 22-11-2011 03:15 PM

veggies that don't mind having wet feet

In article ,
songbird wrote:

[...]

cress
--
- Billy

E pluribus unum
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-american-bubble-machine-20100405
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96993722

Doug Freyburger 22-11-2011 07:29 PM

veggies that don't mind having wet feet

Steve Peek wrote:
"songbird" wrote:

zone 5 USA.

this area is likely to be flooded at
times (but not over the top) so that the
roots will likely be damp to wet for a
longer spells than many garden plants
might be liking.

Give water cress a try. It appears in sandy areas along my stream bank every
year.

My great grandparents harvested horseradish that grew along streams on
their dairy farms. Be cautioned that horseradish is extremely hard to
kill once it gets established.

[email protected] 22-11-2011 07:37 PM

veggies that don't mind having wet feet

Hello

I have to reply to this link for a class I am taking. Sorry but I
don't have any ideas for you! lol But I wish you luck in your
endeavors! ;)

Jessica

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 22-11-2011 08:41 PM

wrote:
Hello

I have to reply to this link for a class I am taking. Sorry but I
don't have any ideas for you! lol But I wish you luck in your
endeavors! ;)

Jessica

From what august institute of learning do you learn nothing but get told to
make empty replies to usenet posts instead?

David

songbird[_2_] 22-11-2011 09:13 PM

veggies that don't mind having wet feet

Doug Freyburger wrote:
Steve Peek wrote:
songbird wrote:

zone 5 USA.

this area is likely to be flooded at
times (but not over the top) so that the
roots will likely be damp to wet for a
longer spells than many garden plants
might be liking.

Give water cress a try. It appears in sandy areas along my stream bank every
year.

My great grandparents harvested horseradish that grew along streams on
their dairy farms. Be cautioned that horseradish is extremely hard to
kill once it gets established.

haha, no i won't be planting horseradish as
while i do like a little once in a while i don't
like enough of it to grow it. as this garden is
part of the area where i've been knocking back
the horsetail i'm not looking for yet another
invasive to track down.

songbird

Snag 24-11-2011 08:51 PM

David Hare-Scott wrote:
wrote:
Hello

I have to reply to this link for a class I am taking. Sorry but I
don't have any ideas for you! lol But I wish you luck in your
endeavors! ;)

Jessica

From what august institute of learning do you learn nothing but get
told to make empty replies to usenet posts instead?

David

Troll U
--
Snag