Old 01-12-2011, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How did your garden grow in 2011?

Ohioguy wrote:

-snip-
The tomatoes were the greatest disappointment. I grew seeds from a
packet that said it had 20 different heirloom beefsteak varieties.
Instead, I mostly ended up with smallish 1.5" orange tomatoes. Only 1
plant out of 14 had anything that would approach beefsteak. Next year I
may just buy a couple of plants, even though they mostly have the same 8
or so varieties available everywhere.

I've never had any luck with those 'mixed variety' packets. I've
probably been foolish enough to try them a few times. Last year I
saw a Zucchini mix deal' of '5' varieties that I *thought* would come
in 5 labeled packets but it came all in one packet. I could
distinguish 3 differently shaped seeds--- and ended up with 4
varieties [a green, a striped, a white, and a yellow]

I liked the varieties- they made for very attractive salads- but I'll
be buying 4 packs of seeds next year so I can take care of a hill of
each.

On the tomatoes-- buy a few packets of varieties you like. The
seeds will keep a few years if you keep them cool and dry.

Jim
Old 02-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioguy View Post
This year I tried cabbage, sweet corn, eggplant, radishes, Brussels
Sprouts and tomatoes.

Cabbage did fantastic, so I may try it again next year. (it was the
first time in my life that I can remember growing cabbage)

I planted three varieties of sweet corn, including a red variety.
Unfortunately, I planted the plants too close together. I had to cut
down about half of the plants to let more light and air penetrate. In
the end, I had about half the harvest I had expected, but it was great
to have fresh sweet corn.

Eggplant did well, but as I remembered, the taste wasn't that great.
Radishes were ok, but hotter than I hoped. Brussels Sprouts grew very
slowly at first, then took off into the fall.

The tomatoes were the greatest disappointment. I grew seeds from a
packet that said it had 20 different heirloom beefsteak varieties.
Instead, I mostly ended up with smallish 1.5" orange tomatoes. Only 1
plant out of 14 had anything that would approach beefsteak. Next year I
may just buy a couple of plants, even though they mostly have the same 8
or so varieties available everywhere.

How about your garden - how did it do?
This year i didn't try any thing for grow.
__________________
daniel hynes | lawye
Old 02-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered User

this year my veg didnt grow very well so i had my lawn leveled and put some
Turf down and that grew like mad
__________________
UK Turf Suppliers
Turf
Lawn Turf
Turf Suppliers
Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

can you get by with putting a spade down
the edge or do you have to go deeper than a
single spade length?

Hope so, except for following individual tree roots. Gonna rip some
metal roofing for sides/ends, add stuff all winter and move at least the
top six inches of dirt from the existing bed(s), when the stuff in them
now is done. No biggie: They're only 3'x8'. Two tree falls within the
past four years changed the hours of sunlight to my advantage. I now
have space for three beds that would (shalll) receive hours of sunlight
while the existing two languish in the shade of an evergreen magnolia
for the first few hours of the day in fall/winter. The second tree broke
off last spring so this is the first winter with it gone.

that should be a welcome change.

are you going to abandon the old patches
and put them back to lawn or keep using
them for more shade tolerant plants?

too wimpy?

Basically. Not good. Must pique the nose when eaten with, say,
liverwurst or out-of-hand.

heh. have you ever had a peanut butter
and onion sandwich (some add mayo or miracle
whip)?

songbird
Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , freshturf.94e98b6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

this year my veg didnt grow very well so i had my lawn leveled and put
some
'Turf' (http://***.freshturf.c*.u*) down and that grew like mad

Spammer

Old 03-12-2011, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

barbie gee wrote:

beets from seed were laughable. about the size of my thumb above the last
joint. I am leaving them in the ground for the winter. Maybe something
will come of them next year?

some might make it and then go to seed, but
more likely they'll just rot in the ground.
i'd harvest them and eat them, even if small
they are still good to eat.

Green beans (bush) from seed are still a mystery to me. I got a few
handfuls of beans, twice. Don't know if I should have done some
succession planting with that, or what.

do you recall the variety or still have
the seed package?

I'm mostly a hit-or-miss farmer; small square-foot plot. Not nearly as
much success as I hoped for, but again, I started everything kind of late.
Next year I'll start sooner with seed sprouting.

In general, I don't really have quite as much sun as I should, so the
veggies suffer. I've optimized the plot location for as much sun as
possible, but it's not really enough. A tree trimming may be in order for
next year, although for the size tree, it will be pricey.

Zone 5
Chicago proper

oh, yes, that is going to make a lot of
difference. in the meantime leafy vegetables
and other veggie plants aimed more towards
partial shade will improve things somewhat.
we don't have much shade here so i can't
recommend much other than the leafy greens
(lettuces, spinach) or rhubarb (which would
take over a small garden). some dry beans
have done ok here when they were shaded but
that's hardly worth the space in a small
garden. hmm, perhaps smaller tomato varieties,
like cherry tomatoes, and the patio varieties.

songbird
Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 12/02/11 12:37 PM, sometime in the recent past songbird posted this:
Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

[...]

PB & Mayo is one of my favorite go-to sandwiches yum, really!
whip)?

songbird

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Old 13-12-2011, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 26, 7:55 pm, Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

Andy comments:
North Texas, drought conditions...

I have water I draw from a lake for irrigation..

Tomatoes --- Super crop, still have a fridge full of the sauce
Okra ... Not so good.
Pinto Beans -- Good crop in the spring, not so much in summer
Radishes --- Great in spring and great in fall
Collards -- Great in Winter, Spring, and Fall
Cucumbers -- A few, but lackluster this summer.
Lettuce --- Not so good this year... Good last year...

Oleander --- Cloneable year around, transplanted well in spring
and summer..

Crepe Myrtle --- Same as Oleander.

These are just my results this year... Very hot hot hot summer and
even
the irrigation didn't compensate in the summer heat.

PS... Neighbor's marijuana crop didn't prosper either, tho he doesn't
have
irrigation.... Poor fellow's beer bill went thru the
roof.....

Andy

Old 14-12-2011, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
AndyS wrote:

[...]

Cool summer. Everything produced, just late, and light.
Zone 9b, northern California
--
- Billy

E pluribus unum
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/10/17/ex_asst_treasury_sec_paul_craig
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96993722
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-great-american-bubble-machine-20100405
Old 14-12-2011, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

AndyS wrote:
PS... Neighbor's marijuana crop didn't prosper either, tho he doesn't
have
irrigation.... Poor fellow's beer bill went thru the
roof.....

maybe offset by a decline in the cheetoes bill...

songbird