GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   inchelium red garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/200504-inchelium-red-garlic.html)

songbird[_2_] 01-12-2011 03:28 AM

inchelium red garlic

found the cite i noted earlier Derald.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_96c9.html

no idea how reputable or accurate, but at least it
is out there. :)

songbird

Gary Woods[_2_] 01-12-2011 12:41 PM

inchelium red garlic

songbird wrote:

no idea how reputable or accurate, but at least it
is out there. :)

Be aware that garlic variety names are notoriously loose; there are so many
variations, landraces, local adaptations, whatever. And "reputable"
sources have been known to rename what they already have so the collectors
among us will buy the same thing again. There has been some laboratory
genetic fingerprinting done, which may help....I grow over a dozen
varieties, named by their source (mail order, local garlic fest, etc.).

songbird[_2_] 02-12-2011 03:41 AM

inchelium red garlic

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

found the cite i noted earlier Derald.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_96c9.html

no idea how reputable or accurate, but at least it
is out there. :)

this was the site i meant to cite, that had the
planting date that was mentioned in a separate
thread (able to be planted into January).

Yep, but I bought garlic from a grower that may be found he
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/artichokes.htm#anchorincheliumred.
Scroll to the top of the page for links to other artichoke garlic.
Here's the home page: http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/index.htm
More reading.

actually, already read through their site
(very useful and informative).

songbird

songbird[_2_] 02-12-2011 03:55 AM

inchelium red garlic

Gary Woods wrote:
songbird wrote:

no idea how reputable or accurate, but at least it
is out there. :)

Be aware that garlic variety names are notoriously loose; there are so many
variations, landraces, local adaptations, whatever.

10 major groupings with 400-700 estimated
varieties. that's a lot of room for overlap
and misclassification.

And "reputable"
sources have been known to rename what they already have so the collectors
among us will buy the same thing again. There has been some laboratory
genetic fingerprinting done, which may help....I grow over a dozen
varieties, named by their source (mail order, local garlic fest, etc.).

yes, with hundreds of variants it's likely
to run into fun times when collecting. :)

i've encounted similar unfortunate practices
in the tulip bulb trade. just have to make
a note of who the honest folk are and to
give them the business.

at the moment i'm planting only a few
varieties of garlic here. one was given to
me be an old italian lady and all i know is
that it is a hard neck and has a moderate
heat when eaten raw. i don't know where she
got it from, if i get a chance to ask her
sometime i'll try to remember to do that.

as i get more varieties i will be looking
forwards to being able to distinguish them
from each other and learning how they grow.

always happy to hear from you Gary,

songbird

The Cook 02-12-2011 02:25 PM

inchelium red garlic

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 18:45:53 -0500, Gary Woods
wrote:

Derald wrote:

How common is that practice? I hope that the odds that I'm growing
the same kind of garlic this year as last (same source) are favorable.

I only know of one instance, though I suspect it's pretty common. Your
best bet is to plant the best of your own crop.
Disclaimer: I'm in the Northeast, so PNW conditions are alien to me. I
have no problem storing from August to November, and most of my stored
garlic is fine well into the next spring.

I pulled my garlic about July and planted in early November. It has
sprouted and will probably disappear if we get much really cold
weather. It will reappear in the early spring. I started it a couple
of years ago with a bag of garlic from Costco. I may get some
different ones next fall and see if I can tell the difference.

The rest of mine is still mostly good. I spread it on a board in the
basement which stays fairly cool in the summer. I brought it up to
sort out for this year and put the remainder in an onion bag. I need
to take it back down to the basement. I also need to remember to save
some of the mesh bags for garlic and onions next year.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

songbird[_2_] 02-12-2011 05:19 PM

inchelium red garlic

Derald wrote:
Gary Woods wrote:

Be aware that garlic variety names are notoriously loose; there are so many
variations, landraces, local adaptations, whatever. And "reputable"
sources have been known to rename what they already have so the collectors
among us will buy the same thing again.

How common is that practice? I hope that the odds that I'm growing
the same kind of garlic this year as last (same source) are favorable.

how often do you have a complete crop failure
for something you've grown before and know
pretty well? i think the odds are heavily in
your favor on that aspect.

an estimated 400-700 varieties, etc.
so plenty to work with for a collector. :)

There has been some laboratory
genetic fingerprinting done, which may help....I grow over a dozen
varieties, named by their source (mail order, local garlic fest, etc.).

I don't think I'll ever be that particular as long as it's
consistent, although, I don't discount the difficulties that result from
mis-identification and deliberate deception can only make it worse. I
don't know garlic but I know what I like.... In '10 I purchased a sample
from a source contacted he
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/.

all i can say is that i enjoyed their
materials and hope they'll be in business
for a good long time. no actual experience
with them myself otherwise.

I got small but good-tasting results and used the same source this
year. However, they now have a Texas grower in their roster. Texas is a
shade closer to my climate than Oregon or Wisconsin. If I get decent
results and can teach myself how to store it, I want to begin replanting
my own asap; we'll see.

good luck. :)

songbird

Bob F 04-12-2011 08:42 PM

inchelium red garlic

songbird wrote:
found the cite i noted earlier Derald.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_96c9.html

no idea how reputable or accurate, but at least it
is out there. :)

I hate sites that throw noisy unwanted videoa or audio at you without yuou
asking for them.

Bob F 04-12-2011 08:46 PM

inchelium red garlic

Good source for garlic starts.