Old 26-12-2011, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Figs

I have a patch of figs but I am never able to harvest more than a few
before the first frost hits. I am wondering what I could do that would
extend the growing season by about a month or two. I have heard of fig
trees but I have what looks like bushes. Every Spring it starts over.
I have heard stories from old-timers who claim their fathers would
slowly bend their fig tree over in the Fall and bury it with excellent
results. I am considering building a cold frame to get the roots
warmed up sooner this Spring. Any experts out there? Thanks.

Dave in STL

Old 28-12-2011, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 08:28:10 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

I have a patch of figs but I am never able to harvest more than a few
before the first frost hits. I am wondering what I could do that would
extend the growing season by about a month or two. I have heard of fig
trees but I have what looks like bushes. Every Spring it starts over.
I have heard stories from old-timers who claim their fathers would
slowly bend their fig tree over in the Fall and bury it with excellent
results. I am considering building a cold frame to get the roots
warmed up sooner this Spring. Any experts out there? Thanks.

Dave in STL

A friend in upstate NY [in a cold zone 5] had a 15'[?] fig tree that
he 'bent over and buried' every fall. He got a bushel or 2 of figs
every year.

He got sick and had to make some choices so last time I saw his garden
he had 3 4' fig trees in maybe 20 gallon planters. They were 3
years old and should produce at 4-5. He moved them into an unheated
attached garage for the winter. I don't know how that worked out.

Was it this group that someone posted the link to photos of the
Brooklyn fig tree?
http://www.i-italy.org/4533/backyard-figs-brooklyn

Jim
Old 31-12-2011, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

Well, I would like to understand how this scheme works. Obviously
wrapping or burying the tree isn't going to keep it from freezing, so
then what does it do? Keep it moist? Keep it dry? Or what? I don't
have any hope of a tree at this point so what would an expert do with
this fig bush? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

[...]

As an update -- elsewhere on the web I have read that fig plants
prefer to be kept dry during the Winter, so I am going to construct a
plastic coldframe and try to keep them dry.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:57:21 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

On Dec 30 2011, 7:43*pm, Davej wrote:

Well, I would like to understand how this scheme works. Obviously
wrapping or burying the tree isn't going to keep it from freezing, so
then what does it do? Keep it moist? Keep it dry? Or what? I don't
have any hope of a tree at this point so what would an expert do with
this fig bush? Thanks.

As an update -- elsewhere on the web I have read that fig plants
prefer to be kept dry during the Winter, so I am going to construct a
plastic coldframe and try to keep them dry.

Here in northern NJ, I have my figs growing in tubs and overwinter
them in an unheated garage. They thrive, but it took me a while to
find the right method.

All my figs are in tubs. I had lost a few of them over the years, even
with wrapping the trunks or insulating with burlap and layers of
leaves or even wrapping the tubs.

Boron

Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 4, 11:32*am, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 Davej wrote:

As an update -- elsewhere on the web I have read that fig plants
prefer to be kept dry during the Winter, so I am going to construct a
plastic coldframe and try to keep them dry.

Here in northern NJ, *I have my figs growing in tubs and overwinter
them in an unheated garage. They thrive, but it took me a while to
find the right method.

All my figs are in tubs. I had lost a few of them over the years, even
with wrapping the trunks or insulating with burlap and layers of
leaves or even wrapping the tubs.

Boron

Do they look like trees or shrubs? Do you need to cut them back to fit
them into the garage? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 26 2011, 10:28*am, Davej wrote:
I have a patch of figs but I am never able to harvest more than a few
before the first frost hits. I am wondering what I could do that would
extend the growing season by about a month or two. I have heard of fig
trees but I have what looks like bushes. Every Spring it starts over.
I have heard stories from old-timers who claim their fathers would
slowly bend their fig tree over in the Fall and bury it with excellent
results. I am considering building a cold frame to get the roots
warmed up sooner this Spring. Any experts out there? Thanks.

Dave in STL

There are numerous varieties of fig trees. Pick one that ripens
earlier in the year. For example, the blackjack fig ripens June -
Sept.

Here's a Google link showing some varieties:
http://www.willisorchards.com/catego...FYFx4AodvzC3ig
Old 17-01-2012, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jan 10, 4:47*pm, Red wrote:
On Dec 26 2011, 10:28*am, Davej wrote:

I have a patch of figs but I am never able to harvest more than a few
before the first frost hits. I am wondering what I could do that would
extend the growing season by about a month or two. I have heard of fig
trees but I have what looks like bushes. Every Spring it starts over.
I have heard stories from old-timers who claim their fathers would
slowly bend their fig tree over in the Fall and bury it with excellent
results. I am considering building a cold frame to get the roots
warmed up sooner this Spring. Any experts out there? Thanks.

Dave in STL

There are numerous varieties of fig trees. *Pick one that ripens
earlier in the year. *For example, the blackjack fig ripens June -
Sept.

*Here's a Google link showing some varieties:http://www.willisorchards.com/catego...CN_MkOTDxq0CFY...

This is interesting, but they all seem to have the same growing zones.
I need to learn the tactics that can be used outside the accepted
growing zones. The fruit can't ripen earlier in the year if the plant
has to first grow up from the roots.

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM