Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default turnips (was ?

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

i'm having gardening withdrawal shakes now.
not too much worm farm space left to play with
for a few more weeks yet too. is the smell of
good dirt addictive? hee!

The smell of good dirt, imo, is essential. Certainly understand the
gardening Jones.

it has been in the mid-40sF daytime here the
past few days. got out and wandered around the
gardens to see how the plants are faring. most
doing ok. then went for a 4mi hike. if it stays
like this for another day or two i might get out
and weed some of the strawberries.

why wouldn't you top that space off to give the
plants more root space?

That happens, over time, as I amend the pot's soil. In the meantime, it
allows me to just dump in a couple of gallons (for example) of water and walk
away. The 30-gal. containers start life with more than 3 cubic feet
(20-something gallons) of soil mix in them.

ah.

what do you cook them with or
how do you prepare them? do you peel
them, mash them, boil them, roast them,
dice them? eat plain, or always use
with something else?

We eat the roots diced and cooked with the tops and seasoned to your own
taste as you would the tops alone; boiled lightly salted and served as a mash
with butter; oven roasted at moderate temperature in a small retort (small oven
safe "casserole' with well fitting lid will do) served whole or sometimes
mashed. Pretty ordinary stuff. Goodness, writing about cooking again. Some
granny's going to get her panties catawhumpus and whine, you betcha.

ok, thanks, sounds all pretty normal to me.
do you peel them first?

craigslist has a gardening forum that isn't too
horrible to use.

I'll check it out. My other half is a regular on a Craig's List food forum.
I'm not much of one for W3-based discussion groups. Tend to be a bit Googley or
Yahooey for my tastes, LOL! Go ahead, call me a snob; I can live with it.

i understand. a lot of people recommend other webforums
to me, but most of them are too slow over dialup even if i
don't download pictures. you'd think that in the age of
technology a site would know if you could handle a lot of
gunk and only ship the text if the connection gags after a
few moments...

songbird

Radishes or turnips ??? AndyS Edible Gardening 5 20-05-2006 04:01 PM
Anyone got early turnips bolting? Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 09-05-2006 06:31 PM
Problems with turnips. ah United Kingdom 0 20-10-2004 02:23 AM
Turnips Greens Jackee Edible Gardening 2 27-06-2004 09:03 PM
Turnips Steve B United Kingdom 3 08-06-2003 02:44 AM