GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Adding hair to a compost pile (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/202025-adding-hair-compost-pile.html)

Dick Adams[_2_] 31-01-2012 04:50 AM

Adding hair to a compost pile

Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?

I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair.
Has anyone done it?
Does anyone have cites about it?

Thanks,

Dick
--
Richard D. Adams
Ellicott City, MD

Farm1[_3_] 31-01-2012 08:01 AM

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?

Yes.

I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair.
Has anyone done it?

Yes

Does anyone have cites about it?

Only in books on composting - those books say that hair dressing asalons are
a good source.

The only problem with it is that it tends to mat together so you've got to
be a good compost turner. I'm not so tend to find chunks of uncomposted
hair that I have to throw back into the next batch.

Alfred Falk 31-01-2012 07:53 PM

Adding hair to a compost pile

(Dick Adams) wrote in news:jg7ru7$95r$4
@reader1.panix.com:

Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?

I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair.
Has anyone done it?
Does anyone have cites about it?

Thanks,

Dick
--
Richard D. Adams
Ellicott City, MD

I used to throw dog hair clippings onto my compost pile. I live in a
cool (sometimes very cold!) and I don't like to turn my piles more tha a
few times over our short summer. I found that that hair would take more
than a year to break down. It wasn't a big problem, but lumps of matted
hair were a mild annoyance so I don't bother trying anymore.
(Being organic matter, hair will break down eventually, but you will
note that users of septic tanks are advised not to flush hair, and hair
generally outlasts everything except bone in most conditions.)

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 31-01-2012 08:33 PM

Alfred Falk wrote:
[...]

I run my own aerated treatment system. You don't put anything down it that
will bind or clog the various pipes and chambers, and that will not break
down fairly quickly. Hair has a way of catching on any lip or sharp edge.
The contents of my vacuum cleaner (dog and human hair included) goes in the
compost not in the toilet.

David

Billy[_11_] 01-02-2012 05:37 AM

Adding hair to a compost pile

In article ,
(Dick Adams) wrote:

Question: Is it ok to add hair to a compost pile?

Yes

I'm talking about dog hair, cat hair, and human hair.
Has anyone done it?

It is standard practice to add hair to a hole where you are planting a
seedling.
Does anyone have cites about it?

Thanks,

Dick
--
Richard D. Adams
Ellicott City, MD

--

Billy

E Pluribus Unum

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953