GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What to do ... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/202029-what-do.html)

Snag 31-01-2012 02:12 PM

What to do ...

With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and medium-large , and
they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm about to drive around the
neighborhood picking up bags of leaves for compost , and wonder if I can add
the dog poop to my pile .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Davej 31-01-2012 03:45 PM

What to do ...

On Jan 31, 8:12*am, "Snag" wrote:
With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and medium-large , and
they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm about to drive around the
neighborhood picking up bags of leaves for compost , and wonder if I can add
the dog poop to my pile .

No. Don't add the dog stuff to compost. Keep it separate. It is
useless.

Steve Peek 31-01-2012 04:07 PM

What to do ...

"Snag" wrote in message
With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and medium-large ,
and they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm about to drive around
the neighborhood picking up bags of leaves for compost , and wonder if I
can add the dog poop to my pile .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Predator species dung can contain dangerous pathogens. Do not use it on food
crops.

Steve

Snag 31-01-2012 05:49 PM

What to do ...

Steve Peek wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and
medium-large , and they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm
about to drive around the neighborhood picking up bags of leaves for
compost , and wonder if I can add the dog poop to my pile .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Predator species dung can contain dangerous pathogens. Do not use it
on food crops.

Steve

I dunno where they'd get dangerous pathogens , these dogs don't even get
table scraps , just dry dog food . And doesn't a properly maintained compost
heap attain high enough temps to kill most all bacteria ?
I'd just like an alternative to tossing it into the trash can .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

songbird[_2_] 31-01-2012 11:40 PM

What to do ...

Snag wrote:

With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and medium-large , and
they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm about to drive around the
neighborhood picking up bags of leaves for compost , and wonder if I can add
the dog poop to my pile .

flush 'em.

if a plant could lick its own butt i wouldn't
compost plant poo either.

songbird

Steve B[_7_] 01-02-2012 02:37 AM

What to do ...

"Snag" wrote in message
With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and medium-large ,
and they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm about to drive around
the neighborhood picking up bags of leaves for compost , and wonder if I
can add the dog poop to my pile .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

If you have a cleanout on your septic line (if you are on city), or even on
septic, make an extension of about 24" up so that you can dump the dog stuff
down the line to either the septic or the city sewage. Sometimes, the
cleanout is in a great spot for this, other times, not. You do not have to
cement it in, just a short extension you can put on and take off and cap
when not in use. OR, if it is in an area where it doesn't look bad, just
leave it sticking up, or even cement it in, and have a removable cap. Build
a cairn around it with rocks or otherwise dress it up.

Steve

Frank 01-02-2012 05:46 PM

What to do ...

On Jan 31, 9:12*am, "Snag" wrote:
With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and medium-large , and
they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm about to drive around the
neighborhood picking up bags of leaves for compost , and wonder if I can add
the dog poop to my pile .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Google pet waste composters. You'll get plenty of advice.

songbird[_2_] 01-02-2012 07:59 PM

What to do ...

songbird wrote:

sorry, that comment was inapropriate.

songbird

Snag 02-02-2012 05:02 AM

What to do ...

Snag wrote:
With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and medium-large
, and they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm about to drive
around the neighborhood picking up bags of leaves for compost , and
wonder if I can add the dog poop to my pile .

Well , alrighty then , it seems the general consensus is that I should
compost it , but it's probably not a good idea to use it on the veggies .
I hope the 'ol ladie's roses like dog shit .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

DogDiesel 07-02-2012 05:46 AM

What to do ...

"Snag" wrote in message
Snag wrote:
With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and medium-large
, and they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm about to drive
around the neighborhood picking up bags of leaves for compost , and
wonder if I can add the dog poop to my pile .

Well , alrighty then , it seems the general consensus is that I should
compost it , but it's probably not a good idea to use it on the veggies .
I hope the 'ol ladie's roses like dog shit .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

I thought the general consensus is flush it. And its useless.

But what do I know.

Diesel.

Snag 07-02-2012 05:53 AM

What to do ...

DogDiesel wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Snag wrote:
With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and
medium-large , and they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm
about to drive around the neighborhood picking up bags of leaves
for compost , and wonder if I can add the dog poop to my pile .

Well , alrighty then , it seems the general consensus is that I
should compost it , but it's probably not a good idea to use it on
the veggies . I hope the 'ol ladie's roses like dog shit .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

I thought the general consensus is flush it. And its useless.

But what do I know.

Diesel.

It's organic material ... and one way or another it's gonna end up gettin'
recycled in the ecosystem .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

DogDiesel 07-02-2012 11:12 PM

What to do ...

"Snag" wrote in message
DogDiesel wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Snag wrote:
[...]

Sure, but that's not the issue. If it was you could just leave it spread
around everywhere.

The issue is about concentrating it in your garden.

Davej 24-02-2012 11:17 PM

What to do ...

On Feb 6, 11:53*pm, "Snag" wrote:
DogDiesel wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Snag wrote:
With the waste products of 3 dogs ... small , medimu and
medium-large , and they all leave piles of poop in the yard . I'm
about to drive around the neighborhood picking up bags of leaves
for compost , and wonder if I can add the dog poop to my pile .

*Well , alrighty then , it seems the general consensus is that I
should compost it , but it's probably not a good idea to use it on
*the veggies . I hope the 'ol ladie's roses like dog shit .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

* *I thought the general consensus is flush it. And its useless.

* But what do I know.

Diesel.

* It's organic material ... and one way or another it's gonna end up gettin'
recycled in the ecosystem .

The "general consensus" is that the waste from carnivores is generally
bad, valueless, and unhealthy. Dig a hole and bury it, or flush it,
and forget it. It is useless and potentially hazardous.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disord..._diseases.aspx