GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Peppers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/202378-peppers.html)

[email protected] 21-02-2012 04:33 PM

Peppers

I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?
MJ

Sean Straw 21-02-2012 04:56 PM

Peppers

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:33:20 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?

If you have a Magnesium deficiency. If not, there's no real benefit.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sufate. Both elemental Magnesium and Sulfur
are traces which plants generally desire in some small amount, and if
your soil is lacking, applying this would help the plants..

[email protected] 21-02-2012 05:04 PM

Peppers

wrote:
I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?

If you have a Magnesium deficiency. *If not, there's no real benefit.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sufate. *Both elemental Magnesium and Sulfur
are traces which plants generally desire in some small amount, and if
your soil is lacking, applying this would help the plants..

I am not sure if there is a deficiency, I did not have the soil tested
this year. Will it hurt anything? Epsom is cheep

Gunner[_3_] 21-02-2012 05:27 PM

Peppers

wrote:
I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?

If you have a Magnesium deficiency. *If not, there's no real benefit.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sufate. *Both elemental Magnesium and Sulfur
are traces which plants generally desire in some small amount, and if
your soil is lacking, applying this would help the plants..

I am not sure if there is a deficiency, I did not have the soil tested
this year. Will it hurt anything? Epsom is cheep

Yet, if ya don't need it, don't use it. That is even cheaper.

http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/supp.../Mg_Basics.htm

[email protected] 21-02-2012 05:42 PM

Peppers

Sean Straw 21-02-2012 05:53 PM

Peppers

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:42:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

Perhaps you should get your soil tested. Agricultural Extension
offices usually offer these services.

[email protected] 21-02-2012 06:41 PM

Peppers

wrote:
I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

Perhaps you should get your soil tested. *Agricultural Extension
offices usually offer these services.

I have done that every year except this year.

Steve Peek 21-02-2012 07:43 PM

Peppers

wrote:
I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?

If you have a Magnesium deficiency. If not, there's no real benefit.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sufate. Both elemental Magnesium and Sulfur
are traces which plants generally desire in some small amount, and if
your soil is lacking, applying this would help the plants..

I am not sure if there is a deficiency, I did not have the soil tested
this year. Will it hurt anything? Epsom is cheep

Yet, if ya don't need it, don't use it. That is even cheaper.

http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/supp.../Mg_Basics.htm

I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

Order a pkt of "Karma" from Park's, it's the very best bell I've ever grown.

Sean Straw 21-02-2012 07:47 PM

Peppers

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:41:09 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I have done that every year except this year.

What have past years' reports indicated about your garden soil needs?

I'm not looking to start a gardening war, but unless I was running a
big farm, I don't think I'd bother with yearly soil analysis - perhaps
every 5 years if you generally followed the original suggested
amendments and weren't doing anything odd in the garden.

[email protected] 21-02-2012 08:04 PM

Peppers

wrote:
I have done that every year except this year.

What have past years' reports indicated about your garden soil needs?

I'm not looking to start a gardening war, but unless I was running a
big farm, I don't think I'd bother with yearly soil analysis - perhaps
every 5 years if you generally followed the original suggested
amendments and weren't doing anything odd in the garden.

Truth? I don't remember exactly but I never really understood the
results and I was in the Master Gardener Program for a while. It was
all explained to me and there was never anything very "off" so I guess
I kinda stopped paying attention. The county I am in could never get
an instructor for the class so it all fell apart. So I rotate my
"crops" and use 10 10 10.

songbird[_2_] 22-02-2012 08:53 PM

Peppers

I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

how are you growing them?

we have very little trouble
growing them here. once in a while
a tomato worm or a bit of rot.

full sun, heavy soil, no
mulch, no fertilizer other than
buried organic materials, planted
after the soil is warm.

10-10-10 might encourage leaf
production but not much else. try
laying off that for green peppers.

songbird

Gunner[_3_] 23-02-2012 02:42 PM

Peppers

On Feb 22, 12:53*pm, songbird wrote:
wrote:

no fertilizer other than
buried organic materials,

* 10-10-10 might encourage leaf
production but not much else. *try
laying off that for green peppers.

* songbird

OMG Bird!!!.... really?

allen73 24-02-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 951574)
I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?
MJ

Epsom salt is most commonly used on pepper, tomato and rose plants. This is because epsom salt is made from magnesium. Many pepper plants are planted in soil that is deficient in magnesium. The magnesium from the epsom salt is quickly absorbed by the plant to give it the nourishment it needs to grow. The epsom salt can be applied in spray form for the best results. Do not simply rely on epsom salt if your soil has a severe deficiency in magnesium. It will work, however, for low to moderate deficiencies. Spray the epsom salt solution on the pepper plants again when they first begin to flower.

Gunner[_3_] 24-02-2012 07:06 PM

Peppers

--
allen73

What makes this a fallacy is the word : MANY: as in ..."Many pepper
plants are
planted in soil that is deficient in magnesium."

It is safe to say there are MANY soils that are not, so again; Test
your soil if you are unsure and/or only add Mg if it is actually
needed.

Gunner[_3_] 24-02-2012 11:45 PM

Peppers

On Feb 23, 12:54*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*songbird wrote:
I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

* how are you growing them?

* we have very little trouble
growing them here. *once in a while
a tomato worm or a bit of rot.

* full sun, heavy soil, no
mulch, no fertilizer other than
buried organic materials, planted
after the soil is warm.

* *try
laying off that for green peppers.

* songbird

Uh, the first 10 in 10-10-10 (nitrogen) will encourage leaf production.
I know you know that, but it may not be apparent to others.
--

Billy

billy's political BS snipped

One of the birds wrote:
10-10-10 might encourage leaf
production but not much else.

Some folks are misrepresenting science here. N is essential to keep
the plant growing and in good health. While excess N may encourage
foliage at the expense of fruit in certain conditions, it is still
required by the plant, even in the flowering/fruiting phase.

songbird[_2_] 25-02-2012 05:42 PM

Peppers

Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:
mjciccarel wrote:
I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

how are you growing them?

still waiting for an answer...

10-10-10 might encourage leaf
production but not much else. try
laying off that for green peppers.

Uh, the first 10 in 10-10-10 (nitrogen) will encourage leaf production.
I know you know that, but it may not be apparent to others.

yes, thanks, mistyped there.

and i do not dispute that a pepper
plant needs some nitrogen, but it
can be the case that too much nitrogen
encourages too much leaf production.
but it could also be the case that
the OP is doing something else that
isn't helping the suitation.

songbird

[email protected] 25-02-2012 07:04 PM

Peppers

On Feb 25, 12:42*pm, songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:
mjciccarel wrote:
I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

* how are you growing them?

* still waiting for an answer...

* 10-10-10 might encourage leaf
production but not much else. *try
laying off that for green peppers.

Uh, the first 10 in 10-10-10 (nitrogen) will encourage leaf production.
I know you know that, but it may not be apparent to others.

* yes, thanks, mistyped there.

* and i do not dispute that a pepper
plant needs some nitrogen, but it
can be the case that too much nitrogen
encourages too much leaf production.
but it could also be the case that
the OP is doing something else that
isn't helping the suitation.

* songbird

I am not doing anything special to grow them. As I said I have used 10
10 10 in the past but I guess I won't be doing that anymore. Makes
sense now that some of the peppers from last year were really small.
These were not bell peppers. In fact if anyone is interested, the
peppers came from Sams. Sams sells a bag of yellow, red and orange
peppers that are great. I planted the seeds from them and have been
growing them for about 3 years now.

songbird[_2_] 26-02-2012 05:02 AM

Peppers

Makes
sense now that some of the peppers from last year were really small.
These were not bell peppers. In fact if anyone is interested, the
peppers came from Sams. Sams sells a bag of yellow, red and orange
peppers that are great. I planted the seeds from them and have been
growing them for about 3 years now.

you might be using seeds from
a hybrid variety and that can
cause the sort of thing you are
experiencing here.

for a few $ get some seeds from a
known source. well worth eliminating
that variable from the equation.

if i had some here i would send them
to ya. :)

songbird

[email protected] 26-02-2012 10:16 AM

Peppers

On Feb 26, 12:02*am, songbird wrote:

Makes
sense now that some of the peppers from last year were really small.
These were not bell peppers. In fact if anyone is interested, the
peppers came from Sams. Sams sells a bag of yellow, red and orange
peppers that are great. I planted the seeds from them and have been
growing them for about 3 years now.

* you might be using seeds from
a hybrid variety and that can
cause the sort of thing you are
experiencing here.

* for a few $ get some seeds from a
known source. *well worth eliminating
that variable from the equation.

* if i had some here i would send them
to ya. *:)

* songbird

I don't think it is the seeds and I love these peppers. With the
amount of foliage on the plants and the fact that I packed them into
the garden too tight makes me think it is the other problems. This
year I will make some changes and see what happens. Thanks for a ll
the input
MJ

Gunner[_3_] 26-02-2012 04:59 PM

Peppers

On Feb 25, 5:25*pm, Billy wrote:

Don't fertilize after it flowers.
--

Billy

(Non gardening and Fringe Political BS snipped)

Just more Old wife's tales not supported by any real science billy.

“It isn’t what people don’t know that hurts them. It’s what they do
know that just ain’t so." Will Rogers

songbird[_2_] 28-02-2012 08:20 PM

Peppers

I don't think it is the seeds and I love these peppers. With the
amount of foliage on the plants and the fact that I packed them into
the garden too tight makes me think it is the other problems. This
year I will make some changes and see what happens. Thanks for a ll
the input

ok, we planted 20 green pepper plants in
an area of about 6x6ft.

we had three crops totaling around 300
peppers.

songbird

Dick Adams[_2_] 29-02-2012 12:29 AM

Peppers

songbird wrote:

I don't think it is the seeds and I love these peppers. With the
amount of foliage on the plants and the fact that I packed them into
the garden too tight makes me think it is the other problems. This
year I will make some changes and see what happens. Thanks for a ll
the input

ok, we planted 20 green pepper plants in
an area of about 6x6ft.

we had three crops totaling around 300
peppers.

I planted 18 habenero plants in a 6x6ft area and
learned a big lesson - that is plant your peppers
in a north to south columns with 2ft intervals.
But from east to west, you'll need at least 3 ft.
That's 12 plants in a 6x6 garden.

I had two 6x6 garden plots and the 12 plant garden
out produced the 18 plant garden.

If you planted early, mid and late season Bell peppers,
you might get away with overcrowding.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 29-02-2012 01:48 AM

Peppers

Dick Adams wrote:
songbird wrote:

I don't think it is the seeds and I love these peppers. With the
amount of foliage on the plants and the fact that I packed them
into the garden too tight makes me think it is the other problems.
This year I will make some changes and see what happens. Thanks for
a ll the input

ok, we planted 20 green pepper plants in
an area of about 6x6ft.

we had three crops totaling around 300
peppers.

I planted 18 habenero plants in a 6x6ft area and
learned a big lesson - that is plant your peppers
in a north to south columns with 2ft intervals.
But from east to west, you'll need at least 3 ft.
That's 12 plants in a 6x6 garden.

I had two 6x6 garden plots and the 12 plant garden
out produced the 18 plant garden.

If you planted early, mid and late season Bell peppers,
you might get away with overcrowding.

Planting in north-south rows is preferred for all veges that need full sun.
[Of course in the antipodes we plant in south-north rows!]

Whether you can get away with overcrowding depends on which resource is the
limiting factor for growth. If sunlight is not the limit then with better
soil you can plant closer than with poorer.

Dick Adams[_2_] 29-02-2012 03:20 AM

Peppers

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:

I planted 18 habenero plants in a 6x6ft area and
learned a big lesson - that is plant your peppers
in a north to south columns with 2ft intervals.
But from east to west, you'll need at least 3 ft.
That's 12 plants in a 6x6 garden.

I had two 6x6 garden plots and the 12 plant garden
out produced the 18 plant garden.

If you planted early, mid and late season Bell peppers,
you might get away with overcrowding.

Planting in north-south rows is preferred for all veges
that need full sun. [Of course in the antipodes we plant
in south-north rows!]

Wierd things happen when you're born upside down. ;)

Whether you can get away with overcrowding depends on which
resource is the limiting factor for growth. If sunlight is
not the limit then with better soil you can plant closer
than with poorer.

You are obviously currect in spite of your reverse polarity.

Dick Adams[_2_] 29-02-2012 03:27 AM

Peppers

David Hare-Scott wrote:

As long as you're an antipodinal, I'd like to tell you of
my mate, Simon. The little bugger died owing me 3 slabs
of bitters. Someone suggested I have his head stone
engraved "He died like a true Australian" ;)

allen73 29-02-2012 07:59 AM

Habanero peppers generally do better in a regular or raised garden bed, and they love the heat and the sun, so choose a sunny location. If you don't have access to a garden plot, you can successfully grow habanero peppers in containers, making these tasty treats a great choice for apartment dwellers. Habanero peppers also can be grown in indoors with the help of an indoor gardening system, such as the popular AeroGarden.

songbird[_2_] 29-02-2012 11:09 AM

Peppers

Dick Adams wrote:
If you planted early, mid and late season Bell peppers,
you might get away with overcrowding.

it was three crops from a single planting,
raised bed, full sun, heavy clay soil, no
mulch, no fertilizer, soil amended with organic
materials only the previous fall. watered when
dry for longer than a week.

they could take a fair bit of abuse. the 2nd
harvest was so thick and often wrapped around
stems that a fair bit of damage was done in the
process. still didn't stop them from putting on
another round of growth and fruits.

we had a lot of heat and sunshine last summer,
i'm sure that helped too.

songbird

Gunner[_3_] 29-02-2012 08:19 PM

Peppers

On Feb 25, 11:04*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 25, 12:42*pm, songbird wrote:

I am not doing anything special to grow them. As I said I have used 10
10 10 in the past but I guess I won't be doing that anymore.

Why? Your plant requires a steady supply of N throughout its life
cycle. A BALANCED fertilizer, ie.a 5-5-5 or a 10-10-10 is strongly
recommended by most Ag experts. These garden variety pseudo-
scientists are stupidly attempting to infer you do not need N when the
plant begins to set fruit, when in fact it is EXCESS nitrogen, as
well as other factors, such as soil and climate that affects the
vegatative phase. Cutting out N is ludicrous in any viable nutrient
management program.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 29-02-2012 09:12 PM

Peppers

Dick Adams wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

As long as you're an antipodinal, I'd like to tell you of
my mate, Simon. The little bugger died owing me 3 slabs
of bitters. Someone suggested I have his head stone
engraved "He died like a true Australian" ;)

You mean he died much younger than the white man of largely preventable
diseases, excessive consumption of intoxicants and inadequate medical
services?

Dick Adams[_2_] 29-02-2012 11:26 PM

Peppers

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

As long as you're an antipodinal, I'd like to tell you of
my mate, Simon. The little bugger died owing me 3 slabs
of bitters. Someone suggested I have his head stone
engraved "He died like a true Australian" ;)

You mean he died much younger than the white man of largely
preventable diseases, excessive consumption of intoxicants
and inadequate medical services?

Wrong on all descriptors. He had a congenital form of
muscular dystropathy, drank less than a six pack a week,
didn't smoke legal or illegal stuff, and had more than
adequate medical services. He even got more exercise
than the average patient with his disease. This included
participation in wheel chair sports and gardering via a
raised garden bed. Of course, he suffered from the
largely unpreventable antipod disorder of upsidedownitis.

Dick

[email protected] 29-02-2012 11:27 PM

Peppers

On Feb 29, 6:26*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
As long as you're an antipodinal, I'd like to tell you of
my mate, Simon. *The little bugger died owing me 3 slabs
of bitters. *Someone suggested I have his head stone
engraved "He died like a true Australian" ;)

You mean he died much younger than the white man of largely
preventable diseases, excessive consumption of intoxicants
and inadequate medical services?

Wrong on all descriptors. *He had a congenital form of
muscular dystropathy, drank less than a six pack a week,
didn't smoke legal or illegal stuff, and had more than
adequate medical services. *He even got more exercise
than the average patient with his disease. *This included
participation in wheel chair sports and gardering via a
raised garden bed. *Of course, he suffered from the
largely unpreventable antipod disorder of upsidedownitis.

Dick

My Gosh, all this about peppers. I am exausted. Gee what else can I
start?

Bloke Down The Pub 01-03-2012 05:57 AM

Peppers

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

As long as you're an antipodinal, I'd like to tell you of
my mate, Simon. The little bugger died owing me 3 slabs
of bitters. Someone suggested I have his head stone
engraved "He died like a true Australian" ;)

You mean he died much younger than the white man of largely
preventable diseases, excessive consumption of intoxicants
and inadequate medical services?

Wrong on all descriptors. He had a congenital form of
muscular dystropathy, drank less than a six pack a week,
didn't smoke legal or illegal stuff, and had more than
adequate medical services. He even got more exercise
than the average patient with his disease. This included
participation in wheel chair sports and gardering via a
raised garden bed. Of course, he suffered from the
largely unpreventable antipod disorder of upsidedownitis.

Dick

Ah you meant that Simon. We had a wake for him and there were 3 slabs with
a note give these to Dick if he shows up. Well being aussie beer we had to
turn it upside down and it all ran out, luckily we were able to catch most
of it.

Thanks for the beer .

Mike

PS If he only managed to drink 3 slabs more than you he wasn't a "true
Australian"