Old 21-02-2012, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Peppers

I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?
MJ
Old 21-02-2012, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 08:33:20 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?

If you have a Magnesium deficiency. If not, there's no real benefit.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sufate. Both elemental Magnesium and Sulfur
are traces which plants generally desire in some small amount, and if
your soil is lacking, applying this would help the plants..

Old 21-02-2012, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?

If you have a Magnesium deficiency. *If not, there's no real benefit.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sufate. *Both elemental Magnesium and Sulfur
are traces which plants generally desire in some small amount, and if
your soil is lacking, applying this would help the plants..

I am not sure if there is a deficiency, I did not have the soil tested
this year. Will it hurt anything? Epsom is cheep
Old 21-02-2012, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?

If you have a Magnesium deficiency. *If not, there's no real benefit.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sufate. *Both elemental Magnesium and Sulfur
are traces which plants generally desire in some small amount, and if
your soil is lacking, applying this would help the plants..

I am not sure if there is a deficiency, I did not have the soil tested
this year. Will it hurt anything? Epsom is cheep

Yet, if ya don't need it, don't use it. That is even cheaper.

http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/supp.../Mg_Basics.htm

Old 21-02-2012, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:42:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

Perhaps you should get your soil tested. Agricultural Extension
offices usually offer these services.

Old 21-02-2012, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

Perhaps you should get your soil tested. *Agricultural Extension
offices usually offer these services.

I have done that every year except this year.
Old 21-02-2012, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?

If you have a Magnesium deficiency. If not, there's no real benefit.

Epsom Salts are Magnesium Sufate. Both elemental Magnesium and Sulfur
are traces which plants generally desire in some small amount, and if
your soil is lacking, applying this would help the plants..

I am not sure if there is a deficiency, I did not have the soil tested
this year. Will it hurt anything? Epsom is cheep

Yet, if ya don't need it, don't use it. That is even cheaper.

http://www.spectrumanalytic.com/supp.../Mg_Basics.htm

I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

Order a pkt of "Karma" from Park's, it's the very best bell I've ever grown.

Old 21-02-2012, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:41:09 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I have done that every year except this year.

What have past years' reports indicated about your garden soil needs?

I'm not looking to start a gardening war, but unless I was running a
big farm, I don't think I'd bother with yearly soil analysis - perhaps
every 5 years if you generally followed the original suggested
amendments and weren't doing anything odd in the garden.

Old 21-02-2012, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
I have done that every year except this year.

What have past years' reports indicated about your garden soil needs?

I'm not looking to start a gardening war, but unless I was running a
big farm, I don't think I'd bother with yearly soil analysis - perhaps
every 5 years if you generally followed the original suggested
amendments and weren't doing anything odd in the garden.

Truth? I don't remember exactly but I never really understood the
results and I was in the Master Gardener Program for a while. It was
all explained to me and there was never anything very "off" so I guess
I kinda stopped paying attention. The county I am in could never get
an instructor for the class so it all fell apart. So I rotate my
"crops" and use 10 10 10.

Old 23-02-2012, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 22, 12:53*pm, songbird wrote:
wrote:

no fertilizer other than
buried organic materials,

* 10-10-10 might encourage leaf
production but not much else. *try
laying off that for green peppers.

* songbird

OMG Bird!!!.... really?

Old 24-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I just read that spraying Epsom Salt on pepper plants and re applying
in 10 days makes a huge difference in the amount and size of the
peppers. Spray at flowering time. True? False?
MJ

Epsom salt is most commonly used on pepper, tomato and rose plants. This is because epsom salt is made from magnesium. Many pepper plants are planted in soil that is deficient in magnesium. The magnesium from the epsom salt is quickly absorbed by the plant to give it the nourishment it needs to grow. The epsom salt can be applied in spray form for the best results. Do not simply rely on epsom salt if your soil has a severe deficiency in magnesium. It will work, however, for low to moderate deficiencies. Spray the epsom salt solution on the pepper plants again when they first begin to flower.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 24-02-2012, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
allen73

What makes this a fallacy is the word : MANY: as in ..."Many pepper
plants are
planted in soil that is deficient in magnesium."

It is safe to say there are MANY soils that are not, so again; Test
your soil if you are unsure and/or only add Mg if it is actually
needed.
Old 24-02-2012, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 23, 12:54*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*songbird wrote:
I would really LOVE some great Bell Peppers this year. I have great
luck with other kinds but I have yet to grow a great Bell

* how are you growing them?

* we have very little trouble
growing them here. *once in a while
a tomato worm or a bit of rot.

* full sun, heavy soil, no
mulch, no fertilizer other than
buried organic materials, planted
after the soil is warm.

* *try
laying off that for green peppers.

* songbird

Uh, the first 10 in 10-10-10 (nitrogen) will encourage leaf production.
I know you know that, but it may not be apparent to others.
--

Billy

billy's political BS snipped

One of the birds wrote:
10-10-10 might encourage leaf
production but not much else.

Some folks are misrepresenting science here. N is essential to keep
the plant growing and in good health. While excess N may encourage
foliage at the expense of fruit in certain conditions, it is still
required by the plant, even in the flowering/fruiting phase.