Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato starts

Mine have been up for a few days , and I've noticed the leaves are kinda
yellow . These are planted in potting/starter mix , new stuff . They spend
most of the day outside when it's sunny and above 50° . I water when the
soil getss dry about 1/8" deep , and the paper? trays they're in have good
drainage , so they're not in standing water .
The pumpkins planted the same day are fine , as are the marigolds . I'm
just wondering if this soil lacks something tomatoes need . It does have
slow-release fertilizer in the mix .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Snag wrote:

Mine have been up for a few days , and I've noticed the leaves are kinda
yellow . These are planted in potting/starter mix , new stuff . They spend
most of the day outside when it's sunny and above 50° . I water when the
soil getss dry about 1/8" deep , and the paper? trays they're in have good
drainage , so they're not in standing water .

tomatoes will probably be fine once you get
them in the ground. we had some that looked
like they were about to fall over from lack
of sunshine and heat, but once we got them
in the ground and the temps were warm enough
they took off.

The pumpkins planted the same day are fine , as are the marigolds . I'm
just wondering if this soil lacks something tomatoes need . It does have
slow-release fertilizer in the mix .

probably all is ok.

songbird
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Mine have been up for a few days , and I've noticed the leaves are
kinda yellow . These are planted in potting/starter mix , new stuff
. They spend most of the day outside when it's sunny and above 50° .
I water when the soil getss dry about 1/8" deep , and the paper?
trays they're in have good drainage , so they're not in standing
water . The pumpkins planted the same day are fine , as are the
marigolds . I'm just wondering if this soil lacks something tomatoes
need . It does have slow-release fertilizer in the mix .

Tomatoes don't really do much (provided full sun & adequate water)
until the soil temp hits 60F (16C).

These trays are inside the house except when they are out on the front
porch in the sun ... soil temp should be well above 60° . I'm just wondering
why the leaves are so yellow - these are the first pair of leaves . Other
than the color they seem to be doing quite well .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mar 7, 3:56*pm, "Snag" wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"

Just curious, first true leaves? If your plants are at the stage of
needing more nutrients you might try looking into your "slow-release
fertilizer in the mix" at this stage. Doesn't sound like a low
threshold photosynthesis issue.
Do you know how/or when the nutrients in your mix release? There are
as many “slow release”; “controlled release”, or some such “coated”,
usually formulae as there are companies making them. They release
their nutrient(s) in different ways, some at different temps and not
all contain micro-nutrients. There is no one-size-fits-all
fertilizer.
If you do not know about using controlled-release (CRF) and slow-
release (SRF) fertilizers you could start with this article and maybe
a few of the side bars from it, perhaps research the specific brand
used in your mix:
http://www.greenhousegrower.com/article/15892
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gunner wrote:
On Mar 7, 3:56 pm, "Snag" wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"

Just curious, first true leaves? If your plants are at the stage of
needing more nutrients you might try looking into your "slow-release
fertilizer in the mix" at this stage. Doesn't sound like a low
threshold photosynthesis issue.

You're over my head ... these are the very first pair of leaves outta the
seed , and they're looking better now . First true leaves are just now
beginning to form .

Do you know how/or when the nutrients in your mix release? There are
as many “slow release”; “controlled release”, or some such “coated”,
usually formulae as there are companies making them. They release
their nutrient(s) in different ways, some at different temps and not
all contain micro-nutrients. There is no one-size-fits-all
fertilizer.
If you do not know about using controlled-release (CRF) and slow-
release (SRF) fertilizers you could start with this article and maybe
a few of the side bars from it, perhaps research the specific brand
used in your mix:
http://www.greenhousegrower.com/article/15892

Thanks for the link ! The stuff I used this year is a "potting/starter mix"
that's supposed to be good for about 3 months , I have no idea what it
actually contains or how/when the nutrients are released .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 13-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snag View Post
Mine have been up for a few days , and I've noticed the leaves are kinda
yellow . These are planted in potting/starter mix , new stuff . They spend
most of the day outside when it's sunny and above 50° . I water when the
soil getss dry about 1/8" deep , and the paper? trays they're in have good
drainage , so they're not in standing water .
The pumpkins planted the same day are fine , as are the marigolds . I'm
just wondering if this soil lacks something tomatoes need . It does have
slow-release fertilizer in the mix .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !
Tomatoes need proper nutrition to maximize growth rate and yield. Tomatoes have an interesting mix of nutritional needs: most crops require high nitrogen and low phosphorus/potassium fertilizers during the first 7 weeks of growth, but tomatoes benefit from high nitrogen and relatively high phosphorus during that period. Tomatoes derive benefit from frequent feedings. Most fertilizer products don’t give you the flexibility needed to accommodate special needs of individual species. Give a mixture of Iguana Juice Grow and Bloom, which provides the proper ratio of targeted nutrients when plants need it. It is very useful to give plants extra phosphorus, potassium and other fruit-boosting growth components during the weeks of growth when flowers are setting and tomatoes are being formed. This creates more flowering sites, more tomatoes, and larger tomatoes.
Fruit Trees