GardenBanter.co.uk

GardenBanter.co.uk (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/)
-   Edible Gardening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/)
-   -   Advice for Complete Novice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/202630-advice-complete-novice.html)

JonnyBeBad 14-03-2012 08:44 PM

Advice for Complete Novice
 
Last year I managed to successfully grow some very nice chillies in a pot on the kitchen window ledge. Having managed to grow something from seed that I could actually eat gave me the bug, so much so that this year I've already planted 3 types of chilli, a variety of peppers, mini cucumbers and both yellow and red cherry tomatoes suitable for hanging baskets.

Unfortunately, with my garden undergoing major reconstruction, I'm having to grow in either hanging baskets, tubs or pots.

I am also looking to grow some peas and if possible strawberries and blueberries but the advice I'm looking for now is:

a) Do tomatoes in hanging baskets require protection from birds, etc.?
b) What is the best way to protect fruit in pots from birds and insects?

Thanks in advance...

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 14-03-2012 09:31 PM

Advice for Complete Novice
 
JonnyBeBad wrote:
Last year I managed to successfully grow some very nice chillies in a
pot on the kitchen window ledge. Having managed to grow something from
seed that I could actually eat gave me the bug, so much so that this
year I've already planted 3 types of chilli, a variety of peppers,
mini cucumbers and both yellow and red cherry tomatoes suitable for
hanging baskets.

Unfortunately, with my garden undergoing major reconstruction, I'm
having to grow in either hanging baskets, tubs or pots.

I am also looking to grow some peas and if possible strawberries and
blueberries but the advice I'm looking for now is:

a) Do tomatoes in hanging baskets require protection from birds, etc.?
b) What is the best way to protect fruit in pots from birds and
insects?


The style that you grow them in makes no difference, if you have frugivorous
birds in the area they will eat your tomatoes and berries. The simplest
protection is bird net. It is a synthetic mesh about 1 1/2 to 2 cm across,
usually white, available in a variety of widths. You should be able to buy
it at any decent nursery. Try to stand it off the plants somewhat with
string or sticks or the enterprising birds will snack through the mesh.

Insects are another matter, it depends on what they are. The above mesh can
be of *some* use as it keeps out moths and butterflies but it doesn't keep
out smaller types.

David



JonnyBeBad 15-03-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] (Post 953363)
JonnyBeBad wrote:
Last year I managed to successfully grow some very nice chillies in a
pot on the kitchen window ledge. Having managed to grow something from
seed that I could actually eat gave me the bug, so much so that this
year I've already planted 3 types of chilli, a variety of peppers,
mini cucumbers and both yellow and red cherry tomatoes suitable for
hanging baskets.

Unfortunately, with my garden undergoing major reconstruction, I'm
having to grow in either hanging baskets, tubs or pots.

I am also looking to grow some peas and if possible strawberries and
blueberries but the advice I'm looking for now is:

a) Do tomatoes in hanging baskets require protection from birds, etc.?
b) What is the best way to protect fruit in pots from birds and
insects?


The style that you grow them in makes no difference, if you have frugivorous
birds in the area they will eat your tomatoes and berries. The simplest
protection is bird net. It is a synthetic mesh about 1 1/2 to 2 cm across,
usually white, available in a variety of widths. You should be able to buy
it at any decent nursery. Try to stand it off the plants somewhat with
string or sticks or the enterprising birds will snack through the mesh.

Insects are another matter, it depends on what they are. The above mesh can
be of *some* use as it keeps out moths and butterflies but it doesn't keep
out smaller types.

David

Thanks David, That's great advice. I'm guessing I shouldn't have any trouble with birds attacking my chillies!

Here's to a fruitful Summer!

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 15-03-2012 10:32 PM

Advice for Complete Novice
 
JonnyBeBad wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;953363']JonnyBeBad wrote:-
Last year I managed to successfully grow some very nice chillies in a
pot on the kitchen window ledge. Having managed to grow something
from seed that I could actually eat gave me the bug, so much so that
this year I've already planted 3 types of chilli, a variety of
peppers,
mini cucumbers and both yellow and red cherry tomatoes suitable for
hanging baskets.

Unfortunately, with my garden undergoing major reconstruction, I'm
having to grow in either hanging baskets, tubs or pots.

I am also looking to grow some peas and if possible strawberries and
blueberries but the advice I'm looking for now is:

a) Do tomatoes in hanging baskets require protection from birds,
etc.? b) What is the best way to protect fruit in pots from birds and
insects?
-

The style that you grow them in makes no difference, if you have
frugivorous
birds in the area they will eat your tomatoes and berries. The
simplest

protection is bird net. It is a synthetic mesh about 1 1/2 to 2 cm
across,
usually white, available in a variety of widths. You should be able
to buy
it at any decent nursery. Try to stand it off the plants somewhat
with

string or sticks or the enterprising birds will snack through the
mesh.

Insects are another matter, it depends on what they are. The above
mesh can
be of *some* use as it keeps out moths and butterflies but it doesn't
keep
out smaller types.

David


Thanks David, That's great advice. I'm guessing I shouldn't have any
trouble with birds attacking my chillies!


Don't bet on it. Some birds have fireproof mouths. I had an acquaintance
who had caged birds who fed them chillis and they seemd to like it.

Here's to a fruitful Summer!


Amen

D


Dick Adams[_2_] 16-03-2012 01:47 AM

Advice for Complete Novice
 
David Hare-Scott wrote:
JonnyBeBad wrote:


Thanks David, That's great advice. I'm guessing I shouldn't
have any trouble with birds attacking my chillies!


Don't bet on it. Some birds have fireproof mouths. I had an
acquaintance who had caged birds who fed them chillis and they
seemd to like it.


I grow Habeneros and can tell you only humans are dumb enough
to eat hot peppers. Ten years ago I ringed my neighbors garden
with them and garlic. He had the best harvest ever!

phorbin 16-03-2012 01:36 PM

Advice for Complete Novice
 
In article , says...
David Hare-Scott wrote:
JonnyBeBad wrote:


Thanks David, That's great advice. I'm guessing I shouldn't
have any trouble with birds attacking my chillies!


Don't bet on it. Some birds have fireproof mouths. I had an
acquaintance who had caged birds who fed them chillis and they
seemd to like it.


I grow Habeneros and can tell you only humans are dumb enough
to eat hot peppers. Ten years ago I ringed my neighbors garden
with them and garlic. He had the best harvest ever!


Birds are immune to capsaicin. -- There was some other reason he had the
best harvest ever. eg. colder winter, better rain, fewer birds, fewer
bugs, better soil conditions, more attention to the garden, etc.


phorbin 16-03-2012 01:39 PM

Advice for Complete Novice
 
In article ,
says...
(Dick Adams) wrote:

I grow Habeneros and can tell you only humans are dumb enough
to eat hot peppers.

My experience with a "domestic shorthair" feline named "Sniffles" tells me
otherwise. She would eat my wife's barely-tolerable to us Szechuan dishes with
relish. Raccoons regularly collect a jalapeņo pepper tax from me; I never find
any discards or leavings.


Groundhogs around here consider capsicum on cabbage a tasty seasoning.



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
GardenBanter