GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Favorite tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/202689-favorite-tomatoes.html)

General Schvantzkoph 18-03-2012 12:15 PM

Favorite tomatoes

It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you favorites?

Bill who putters 18-03-2012 01:43 PM

Favorite tomatoes

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you favorites?

Marglobe.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/marglobe-...ed-tomato.aspx

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

[email protected] 18-03-2012 01:51 PM

Favorite tomatoes

On Mar 18, 8:15*am, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you favorites?

Sugary. I have them all winter. They are small as in Cherry like

General Schvantzkoph 19-03-2012 02:27 AM

Favorite tomatoes

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:33:06 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you
favorites?

For a cherry tomato, I like "Blond Kopfchen". It's a little slow getting
started, but is survives the fall rains better than anything else I've
grown, which gives it a long growing season. Then there is Stupice
(stew-peachy) a 2", 55 day tomato which is my first tomato of the
season, and for large tomatoes I like Striped German (low acid, good
taste for sandwiches), and Caspian Pink which comes in a few days before
Brandywines, which only do well for me in warm years (in other words,
not recently). The last few years, I've put down clear plastic sheeting
to increase the soil temps, which has kept my harvest a couple of weeks
ahead of my neighbors.

I've ordered Blond Kopfchen and Caspian Pinks from Tomatofest. To bring
the order up their minimum I added some of their new varieties, Amy's
Sugargem, Santiago and one that they listed as a favorite cherry, Isis
Candy.

I do much better with cherry varieties because they tend to mature
quickly. I don't have a lot of sun so the larger varieties frequently
don't mature by the time I have my first cold snap.

General Schvantzkoph 19-03-2012 02:29 AM

Favorite tomatoes

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 06:51:10 -0700, wrote:

On Mar 18, 8:15Â*am, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you
favorites?

Sugary. I have them all winter. They are small as in Cherry like

I think I've seen Sugarys at one of my garden centers, I'll look for them
this year.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 19-03-2012 02:38 AM

Favorite tomatoes

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you favorites?

Currant
Sweet100
Black Krim

and I'm trying a variety of other cherry tomatoes

General Schvantzkoph 19-03-2012 02:44 AM

Favorite tomatoes

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:38:30 -0700, Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you
favorites?

Currant
Sweet100
Black Krim

and I'm trying a variety of other cherry tomatoes

Sweet 100s have done well for me, Black Krims haven't. I'll look into
Currants, I haven't heard of those before.

Farm1[_3_] 19-03-2012 06:23 AM

Favorite tomatoes

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you favorites?

Grosse Lisse.

allen73 19-03-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Schvantzkoph (Post 953609)
It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you favorites?

Cherry Gold : compact determinate plants recommended for smal pots and indoor windowsill
Red Robin : Tiny plants that bear clusters fo fruit. Recommended for container growing, both indoors and outdoors.
Sweetie : A sprawling indeterminate that produces clusters of sweet, cherry-sized red fruit. Not hybrid, seeds can be saved, an open-pollinated alternative to many of the hybrids available.

These tomatoes I have grown in my vegetable gardening and planning to grow Bush Beefsteak and Supersteak.

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 19-03-2012 11:09 AM

Favorite tomatoes

General Schvantzkoph said:

It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you

favorites?

SunSugar (orange cherry)
Aunt Gertie's Gold (golden beefsteak)
Kosovo (pink oxheart)
Royesta (standard red)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

[email protected] 19-03-2012 12:36 PM

Favorite tomatoes

On Mar 18, 10:29*pm, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 06:51:10 -0700, wrote:
On Mar 18, 8:15*am, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you
favorites?

Sugary. I have them all winter. They are small as in Cherry like

I think I've seen Sugarys at one of my garden centers, I'll look for them
this year.

The seeds came from Tomato Growers Supply Company originally. I have
used seeds from the tomatoes for 3 years now.
MJ

The Cook 19-03-2012 12:59 PM

Favorite tomatoes

On 18 Mar 2012 12:15:03 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you favorites?

Here are some of the cherry tomatoes I have grown with success.

From Tomato Growers Supply: http://www.tomatogrowers.com
Dr. Carolyn -- a white
Green Grape
Black Cherry
Window Box Roma -- A patio tomato

From TomatoFest:
Black Plum
Grape
Yellow Grape

Totally Tomatoes: http://www.totallytomato.com/
Yellow Jelly Bean
Jelly Bean Hybrid
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

zxcvbob 19-03-2012 08:58 PM

Favorite tomatoes

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you favorites?

Better Boy. I know it's not sexy, but the fruits are big and tasty and
the yield is good. I save the seeds even though it's a hybrid. I also
like Principe Borghese for drying (they taste good fresh too.)

-Bob

The Cook 20-03-2012 02:07 PM

Favorite tomatoes

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:25:40 -0700, Billy
wrote:

From Tomato Growers Supply: http://www.tomatogrowers.com
Dr. Carolyn -- a white
Green Grape
Black Cherry
Window Box Roma -- A patio tomato

From TomatoFest:

Last time I looked, Tomatofest had a $25 minimum, and they are pricey
to boot. It is convenient though, because they have most of the
varieties (cultivars) of tomatoes.

When I ordered from them in 2010 my order was $18.80 plus $3.95
shipping. I saw nothing on their site today that stated a minimum
order. I could have missed it. I try to order enough to make the
postage worth while.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 25-03-2012 05:30 AM

Favorite tomatoes

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:38:30 -0700, Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

In article ,
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

It's time to plant some seeds. Looking for suggestions for tomato
varieties. My personal favorite is the Sun Gold, what are you
favorites?

Currant
Sweet100
Black Krim

and I'm trying a variety of other cherry tomatoes

Sweet 100s have done well for me, Black Krims haven't. I'll look into
Currants, I haven't heard of those before.

they're the smallest tomato, fun to snack on, but they are sluts and will cross
with any other nearby tomato with the greatest of ease, if that matters. and
they now have yellow ones