Old 25-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered User

Default Tomatos By ring culture

Hello everyone.
I'm new to gardening and would like some advice, I'd like to grow tomatos by ring culture, by greehouse has a concret floor and I've read that if I fill the area with builders ballas I'll be able to grow them on the ballas
My question is can I use limestone chippings for the ballas it appears to be the cheapest aggregate unless you members know better, I'd appreciate any information.
Thank you
Old 25-03-2012, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

tibbar wrote:
My question is can I use limestone chippings for the ballas it appears
to be the cheapest aggregate unless you members know better, I'd
appreciate any information.

chipped limestone will have very high pH.

songbird
Old 26-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
tibbar wrote:
My question is can I use limestone chippings for the ballas it appears
to be the cheapest aggregate unless you members know better, I'd
appreciate any information.

chipped limestone will have very high pH.

songbird
Thanks Songbird for your reply, does having a high pH make them unsatistactory for growing tomatoes?
Old 27-03-2012, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

tibbar wrote:
'songbird[_2_ Wrote:
;954136']tibbar wrote:
....-
My question is can I use limestone chippings for the ballas it
appears to be the cheapest aggregate unless you members know better,
I'd appreciate any information.-

chipped limestone will have very high pH.

songbird

Thanks Songbird for your reply, does having a high pH make them
unsatistactory for growing tomatoes?

High pH in soil will reduce the absorbtion of some minerals which become
less soluble. Most veges (this is a generalisation) like it about 6-6.5
that is slightly acid and IIRC tomatoes are in that group. The question
that I cannot answer with certainty is will limestone chips in the aggregate
layer have the effect of raising pH too high. I am guessing there will not
be very much effect in the time that tomatoes grow as limestone chips will
not dissolve readily.

I take it that there is water in the aggregate layer. If so test its pH and
you will know and nobody needs to guess. A dye indicator pH test kit is
cheap and accurate enough for the purpose and will always be useful if you
are going to grow veges.

David

Old 27-03-2012, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

David Hare-Scott wrote:
tibbar wrote:
'songbird[_2_ Wrote:
;954136']tibbar wrote:
....-
My question is can I use limestone chippings for the ballas it
appears to be the cheapest aggregate unless you members know better,
I'd appreciate any information.-

chipped limestone will have very high pH.

Thanks Songbird for your reply, does having a high pH make them
unsatistactory for growing tomatoes?

freshly chipped limestone will be quite different
from aged limestone. in between there will be
rinsed limestone.

i wouldn't consider any of them optimal. for
a few dollars more there are better substrates
that you won't have to fight continually to keep
the pH in range. so sure it might cost less to
start, but then you pay later.

the hydroponics poster here often is Gunner.
i'm a dirt gardener with much experience with
crushed limestone because we have around a hundred
tons of it here and i've studied it in various
circumstances as a result over the past 15 years.

High pH in soil will reduce the absorbtion of some minerals which become
less soluble. Most veges (this is a generalisation) like it about 6-6.5
that is slightly acid and IIRC tomatoes are in that group. The question
that I cannot answer with certainty is will limestone chips in the aggregate
layer have the effect of raising pH too high. I am guessing there will not
be very much effect in the time that tomatoes grow as limestone chips will
not dissolve readily.

note David that the OP is starting from scratch.
with new chipped limestone which is a harsh substance.
even with a lot of rinsing it takes quite a while to
mellow.

I take it that there is water in the aggregate layer. If so test its pH and
you will know and nobody needs to guess. A dye indicator pH test kit is
cheap and accurate enough for the purpose and will always be useful if you
are going to grow veges.

*nods* i'd certainly use something else if it
is available.

songbird

Old 27-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
David Hare-Scott wrote:
tibbar wrote:
'songbird[_2_ Wrote:
;954136']tibbar wrote:
....-
[...]

Thanks Gentlemen your advice has been very much appreciated.
Tibbar
Old 28-03-2012, 08:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

tibbar wrote:
'songbird[_2_ Wrote:
;954136']tibbar wrote:
....-
[...]

PH aside, this strikes me as a very dumb idea. I presume you've read the
Royal Horticultural Society's suggestions for Ring Culture.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=437

They basically say that the Family: Solanaceae is best for this
technique, but they never recommend it. You will have to water 2 to 3
times a week and there is nothing to hold the nutrients, so you may need
to fertilize with each watering. This isn't like hydroponics where you
can recycle the nutrient solution. With Ring Culture you add your
nutrients, and then it is gone. Washed away with the following watering,
if nothing else. That's lots of money down the drain.

My suggestion is that either you go hydroponic, or plant in pots with
potting soil (which will hold the added nutrients).

If you insist on doing Ring Culture, do it right, not on the cheap. I
presume gravel is what you would need.
Old 28-03-2012, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
So, I guess I'm asking, "Why?".

it has a cute name...

songbird
Old 29-03-2012, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
Bill Rose wrote:

PH aside, this strikes me as a very dumb idea. I presume you've read the
Royal Horticultural Society's suggestions for Ring Culture.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=437

Thanks for the link. 'Til now, I'd never heard of "ring culture".
Unfortunately, the site doesn't give a clue about _why_, one would
consider what seems such a dumb idea, for all or the reasons that you
mention plus many others that come readily to mind. According to the
site, one still needs "growing media" in the damned bottomless pots so,
what's the point? Why not simply fill appropriatly sized pots with
store-bought "growing media" and be done with it?
So, I guess I'm asking, "Why?".

ok, i went and looked at the webpage and
the first paragraph did contain some of the
"Why"s...

---
"Greenhouse crops, especially tomatoes, are liable to
many soil-borne pests and diseases. Ring culture, where
bottomless pots rest on a bed of porous aggregate (such
as gravel), prevents root diseases and also allows roots
access to a large volume of consistently moist material."
---

songbird
Old 29-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Prepare the aggregate bed a couple of weeks before planting young tomatoes and other crops into their positions in April. Try using gravel, hydroleca or perlite as your aggregate.

Thoroughly clean the growing area to avoid the aggregate becoming contaminated with debris from preceding crops or infected soil. Make a trough or dig a trench to contain the bed of aggregate. The minimum depth is 15cm (6in), but no more than 25cm (10in) is usually used. Prevent soil from contaminating the aggregate by lining the trough, trench or floor with thick polythene with drainage holes every meter. The aggregate bed needs draining, as standing water will harm plants. Waterproof troughs are possible but need careful managing to avoid root problems.

The bed should be made far enough in advance of setting out the plants for it to warm up – two weeks should be sufficient. Fill bottomless containers, (25cm (10in) diameter, 30cm (12in) tall) with growing media (that used in growbags is ideal) and plant young plants in April. Special pots of bituminous paper are available for this purpose, but you can use any container that is open at the base. Leave the newly potted plants on the greenhouse floor, not the aggregate. As the plants grow, space them out so that the leaves of neighboring plants never touch. This will avoid leggy growth.

Once established, when the roots are showing at the bottom of the pot, place the pots on the aggregate with a close, firm contact between compost and aggregate. Spacing is the normal distance for indoor crops. Keep the aggregate moist and water the pots two or three times a week adding liquid fertilizer if growth is pale or insufficient. The tomatoes are then grown in the usual way. After the crop is finished, remove the aerial parts of the plant and ease the roots out of the aggregate and discard.

Clean and disinfect the aggregate after clearing the crop. The material can be used for many years unless problems arise. To avoid polluting watercourses and ground water, aggregate should not be cleansed in situ, but lifted, washed and the disinfectant solution safely disposed of, according to the manufacturers' instructions.
Fruit Trees

Ring culture dido22 United Kingdom 11 27-01-2011 12:49 PM
Cleaning Ring Culture Beds Jabsco Edible Gardening 0 04-03-2008 01:27 PM
Fairy Ring .....Help !!!!! please bnd777 United Kingdom 38 08-11-2004 10:47 AM
Sian garden lights by Ring Bob H United Kingdom 1 24-09-2003 11:12 PM
Ring on my lawn sti3402 Gardening 6 13-05-2003 05:32 PM