Old 26-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Registered User

Cool Blueberry Bushes

I bought a blueberry bush this weekend and intend to buy at least one more as I've read that you need at least two for polination and therefore a better yield. I have however read on a couple of websites that it's better to have 2 different varieties of blueberry bush. Does anyone know if I'll be ok with 2 the same or do I need to have 2 different varieties?

I was potentially going to look for an early cropper, a mid-season cropper and a late cropper.
Old 26-03-2012, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Blueberry Bushes

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:14:53 +0000, JonnyBeBad wrote:

I bought a blueberry bush this weekend and intend to buy at least one
more as I've read that you need at least two for polination and
therefore a better yield. I have however read on a couple of websites
that it's better to have 2 different varieties of blueberry bush. Does
anyone know if I'll be ok with 2 the same or do I need to have 2
different varieties?

I was potentially going to look for an early cropper, a mid-season
cropper and a late cropper.

I have 8 bushes of several different varieties. The important thing with
blueberries is to come up with an effective netting scheme, if you don't
you won't get any. Birds love blueberries and they will strip the buses
clean in a few hours if you don't have a really good netting system.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:14:53 +0000, JonnyBeBad wrote:

I bought a blueberry bush this weekend and intend to buy at least one
more as I've read that you need at least two for polination and
therefore a better yield. I have however read on a couple of websites
that it's better to have 2 different varieties of blueberry bush. Does
anyone know if I'll be ok with 2 the same or do I need to have 2
different varieties?

I was potentially going to look for an early cropper, a mid-season
cropper and a late cropper.

I have 8 bushes of several different varieties. The important thing with
blueberries is to come up with an effective netting scheme, if you don't
you won't get any. Birds love blueberries and they will strip the buses
clean in a few hours if you don't have a really good netting system.

You should get two different ones. And you need acid soil.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"DogDiesel" wrote:

[...]

PH 5.5 - 6.5

--
E Pluribus Unum

Ph for highbush should be 4.5-5, rabbiteye 4.8-5.3. Anything over 5.5 is
too basic. The plants may survive but they will not thrive.
Steve

Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBeBad View Post
I bought a blueberry bush this weekend and intend to buy at least one more as I've read that you need at least two for polination and therefore a better yield. I have however read on a couple of websites that it's better to have 2 different varieties of blueberry bush. Does anyone know if I'll be ok with 2 the same or do I need to have 2 different varieties?

I was potentially going to look for an early cropper, a mid-season cropper and a late cropper.
Blueberries bring a unique combination of delicious fruit and striking ornamental beauty to the garden and landscape. Blueberries are easy to grow, require little care, and are seldom bothered by pests. If a few basic steps are followed your blueberry plants can thrive and last a lifetime.
__________________
Fruit Trees

Old 04-04-2012, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Peek wrote:

Ph for highbush should be 4.5-5, rabbiteye 4.8-5.3.
Anything over 5.5 is too basic. The plants may survive
but they will not thrive.

My 2012 garden plan calls for three Blueberry bushes
planted in a row as female-male-female. They will be
late season bloomers.

My question is "If the pH of my soil is higher than 5.5,
what can I do so that Blueberry bushes survive and thrive?

Dick
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Registered User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
Blueberries bring a unique combination of delicious fruit and striking ornamental beauty to the garden and landscape. Blueberries are easy to grow, require little care, and are seldom bothered by pests. If a few basic steps are followed your blueberry plants can thrive and last a lifetime.
I bought two highbush blueberries recently and put them in the greenhouse for now. Not sure when I can plant them in the ground (I'm in zone 8b), does anybody know?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
Important note: The commercial hybrids that do well in Florida's
humidity do not go dormant during our mild winters and must be
defoliated chemically.

holy crap!

I'm sure that in chillier climes, mileage varies
and, surely, induced defoliation is not necessary. Obviously, you will
have to adjust the timing of the above-described sequence of events to
accomodate the plants' growth cycle in your climate.

songbird
Old 04-04-2012, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Steve Peek wrote:

Ph for highbush should be 4.5-5, rabbiteye 4.8-5.3.
Anything over 5.5 is too basic. The plants may survive
but they will not thrive.

My 2012 garden plan calls for three Blueberry bushes
planted in a row as female-male-female. They will be
late season bloomers.

My question is "If the pH of my soil is higher than 5.5,
what can I do so that Blueberry bushes survive and thrive?

Dick

First of all, there are no male/female blueberries (genus Vaccinium). Ph can
be corrected in several ways. Chemically, aluminum sulphate can be worked
into the soil. Organically, elemental sulphur and/or double ground pine bark
and/or sphagnum peat are worked in to the desired Ph. Organically is better
in that the plants require a large amount of organic matter in the soil.
Blueberry plants are very shallow rooted, therefore mulch is required as
well as regular rain or watering. All bloom buds should be removed the first
two years so the plant becomes well established.

1) Get a soil test and request suggestions for growing blueberry.
2) Talk with the county ag agent about varieties suitable for your area.
If rabbiteye (V. asheii) are suggested, go with them. Production is much
higher.
3) Prep the soil (if you have heavy clay, forget blueberry or use the
Florida method of growing in a raised bed of pine bark or peat).
4) Order plant for fall planting from a reputable blueberry nursery.
5) Plant them at the same depth they grew at the nursery. Prune well
removing all fruit buds (the round, fat ones). Mulch and water well.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:
Derald wrote:
Important note: The commercial hybrids that do well in Florida's
humidity do not go dormant during our mild winters and must be
defoliated chemically.

holy crap!

Yep; protective "space suit" required. Not only that but,
although, they technically are resistant to mildews, the plants still
receive frequent prophylactic sprayings with some type "mildew-be-gone"
stuff.
Not surprisingly, money's the motivation. In '02 and 03, I
participated in the day-to-day operation of two adjacent family berry
patch operations, located a short walk down the road from me, while they
concentrated on expanding their blueberry operations and diversifying
into blackberries. At that time, a well run berry farm could ==net
$20,000/acre in an approximately 3-week harvest.
It's premium fruit destined, primarily, for the Asian market. When
north Florida and south Georgia berries come in, beginn in late April or
early May, the market drops like a stone and those local growers who're
willing to buy the insurance (and who're willing to put their plants at
risk) open their gates to "pick'em your damn self".... Frankly, most
don't do that, judging the return not to be worth the risk; they just
hedge the plants as described and carry on.

the "pick your own" places up here do pretty well
though some do hire pickers for some of the season
so they can make pies, jams, fillings, ice-cream, etc.
one guy i talk to here or there says that it's very
hard for him to find people to pick.

the hours i spent picking in the past i can believe
him. this season is going to be pretty interesting
with the repeated hard freezes/frosts. i think the
one last night took out a lot of blooms here.

Yikes! Gotta go get some eggplants and peppers into the ground.
They're straining at their pots. Don't wanna ruin their cheery
dispositions, now, do I? I'm 'way behind this year. Just spending too
much time on this Internet thingie....

har!

planted second round of onion seeds,
watered and weeded yesterday, today looks
nice again so i'll be back out once it
warms up a little more.

songbird

Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBeBad View Post
I bought a blueberry bush this weekend and intend to buy at least one more as I've read that you need at least two for polination and therefore a better yield. I have however read on a couple of websites that it's better to have 2 different varieties of blueberry bush. Does anyone know if I'll be ok with 2 the same or do I need to have 2 different varieties?

I was potentially going to look for an early cropper, a mid-season cropper and a late cropper.
go with the michigan bulb company! They have a trio of three plants for sale right now.. I just bought two of them! AMAZING!!! some are sweet for snacking, some super blump for jamming, and some more tart for pies! So exciting!

Rebecca
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Registered User

Smile

get some aluminum sulfide or bonide and follow the instructions! Works like a charm. I got my own acid tester for like 5$ off amazon and I was able to check it and record the levels as I went along! Easy peasy!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarb View Post
I bought two highbush blueberries recently and put them in the greenhouse for now. Not sure when I can plant them in the ground (I'm in zone 8b), does anybody know?
8? your good to go! You don't have to worry about heavy deep frosts! I live in zone 4 and I just planted raspberries yesterday! You wont have any trouble...

Phish's blueberry bushes Beecrofter Gardening 2 23-08-2003 02:22 PM
Protecting blueberry bushes from birds B. Joshua Rosen Edible Gardening 12 09-07-2003 08:52 PM
Blueberry bushes Annaid Gardening 3 12-05-2003 08:20 PM
Wanted: Blueberry bushes McFadden57 Gardening 1 30-03-2003 02:32 PM
Blueberry bushes for Upstate NY? Beecrofter Gardening 0 22-02-2003 06:39 AM