Old 30-03-2012, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Seeds

Yesterday I planted some more seeds in the greenhouse. Looked all
over for the Burpee Golden Zucchini I bought last August. Not found.
Today we were out and about so stopped at a couple of stores and no
luck. On the way out of town DH saw Tractor Supply and pulled in.
They had them. I looked at the price, $1.79 on sale at $1.34 for 19
seeds. I checked the Burpee site when I got home and their price was
$3.95 for 25 seeds, plus shipping of course. Got 2 packages.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 31-03-2012, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"The Cook" wrote in message
Yesterday I planted some more seeds in the greenhouse. Looked all
over for the Burpee Golden Zucchini I bought last August. Not found.
Today we were out and about so stopped at a couple of stores and no
luck. On the way out of town DH saw Tractor Supply and pulled in.
They had them. I looked at the price, $1.79 on sale at $1.34 for 19
seeds. I checked the Burpee site when I got home and their price was
$3.95 for 25 seeds, plus shipping of course. Got 2 packages.

Did you look down the back of the fridge? Overtime everything migrates
there

I also suspect while putting what's left of this years seeds away "safe"
there will be last years seeds.

Mike

Old 31-03-2012, 01:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 17:54:23 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
wrote:

"The Cook" wrote in message
.. .
Yesterday I planted some more seeds in the greenhouse. Looked all
over for the Burpee Golden Zucchini I bought last August. Not found.
Today we were out and about so stopped at a couple of stores and no
luck. On the way out of town DH saw Tractor Supply and pulled in.
They had them. I looked at the price, $1.79 on sale at $1.34 for 19
seeds. I checked the Burpee site when I got home and their price was
$3.95 for 25 seeds, plus shipping of course. Got 2 packages.

Did you look down the back of the fridge? Overtime everything migrates
there

I also suspect while putting what's left of this years seeds away "safe"
there will be last years seeds.

Mike

My seed packages never get to the kitchen. This one made it to the
computer table because it is listed in my seed software as purchased
last August.

Since I have already bought more and sowed some of them, the missing
package will turn up next week.

Old 31-03-2012, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 07:45:15 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

My seed packages never get to the kitchen. This one made it to the
computer table because it is listed in my seed software as purchased
last August.

What is your "seed software" ?

I use Excel to track seeds and germination successes. Created a
multi-worksheet file, with the first worksheet having columns for
things such as plant category (allium, herb, greens, tomato, corn,
etc), variety name, mfr stock #, date of purchase, year packaged for,
seed producer, source (store, friend, etc), type of container
(important for saved seeds), heirloom vs. hybrid (important for seed
saving), seed count/weight, cost, storage location (I largely use 3
Litre storage crates, and I number them all), then various bits of
plant data. If saved seed, date of harvest. Also, a field for misc
plant notes - pelleted, flower colour, bee forage, etc.

Plant types, vendors, etc are on subsequent worksheets and are
drop-downs on the main seed worksheet (results in much less typing).
I've been updating the plant class info with planting data (pH, water
and soil requirements, spacing tend to be about the same for all
plants of a given type), and manufacurers and sources have contact
information on them (even in some cases having manufacturers listed
that I don't actually have seed from - it's a handy reference to
websites, etc).

I also use the spreadsheet to generate unique serial number labels
(with barcodes) for saved seed, so I can better track them - each
container of saved seed has a year-specific indentifier, so at a
glance I know how old the seed is. Since the labels are generated
from the spreadsheet (granted, involves importing into word to print a
"mailmerge"), I'm not re-typing variety names, etc - less opportunity
for typos.

Since I have already bought more and sowed some of them, the missing
package will turn up next week.

As long as they're stored properly, they should be good for a few
years. If nothing else, plant a bunch of the older seed next year or
the year after and just give away/trade a bunch of starts so they
don't end up doing you no good.

I have Golden Zucchini from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in my inventory
(as well as Yellow Scallop and Yellow Straightneck from the same
source, and a variety of other squashes from others), all in "Garden
Bin 11". I may have to flip through 40+ packets in the bin to find
the specific thing I'm looking for, but it's in the bin it's
inventoried to be in.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"The Cook" wrote in message
Yesterday I planted some more seeds in the greenhouse. Looked all
over for the Burpee Golden Zucchini I bought last August. Not found.
Today we were out and about so stopped at a couple of stores and no
luck. On the way out of town DH saw Tractor Supply and pulled in.
They had them. I looked at the price, $1.79 on sale at $1.34 for 19
seeds. I checked the Burpee site when I got home and their price was
$3.95 for 25 seeds, plus shipping of course. Got 2 packages.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
USDA Zone 7a
To find your extension office
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

If anyone is interested, Burpee has a Hybrid cantaloupe seed that is
powdery mildew resistant.
Didn't see it last year or the year before. My cantaloupe usually get it
in late July. Zone 6
New experiment for the garden.

Cheers

Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Yesterday I planted some more seeds in the greenhouse. Looked all
over for the Burpee Golden Zucchini I bought last August. Not found.
Today we were out and about so stopped at a couple of stores and no
luck. On the way out of town DH saw Tractor Supply and pulled in.
They had them. I looked at the price, $1.79 on sale at $1.34 for 19
seeds. I checked the Burpee site when I got home and their price was
$3.95 for 25 seeds, plus shipping of course. Got 2 packages.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
USDA Zone 7a
To find your extension office
Cooperative Extension System Offices
Not sure what you are trying to ask, but seeds do not grow, but they germinate producing a seedling.
Seedlings grow normally within a greenhouse provided the environmentally temperature and moister content is suitable for growth and they have their nutritional needs meet.

Will plants produce seeds in a greenhouse, if they produce fertile flowers and are pollinated they should produce (grow?) seeds. In fact many crop seeds are produced on plants grown in greenhouse, especially flower seeds that are F1 hybrids.
Fruit Trees